Invertigo leaving Great America, new ride for Dorney?

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Invertigo leaving Great America, new ride for Dorney?

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Screamscape reported last night that Invertigo was leaving Great America and it looks like it is official and they are saying it will be relocated to another CF Park:
http://www.cagreatamerica.com/attractio ... m?ai_id=49

Now which park will it be relocated to?
Knott's, World's of Fun, Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds all have regular boomerangs so they are out
King's Island has a clone of Invertigo so they are out
It seems unlikely Cedar Point would get a used ride at all let alone a Vekoma so they are likely out
King's Dominion got I305 last year and Dominator in 2008 and SFA had a clone of the ride (although I don't think that would stop them) so they too are likely out

Dorney's most recent coaster was a shuttle coaster like Invertigo and Hershey has a regular boomerang but we know how CF has been giving Dorney used rides, even ones that weren't needed like Demon Drop and look at how they are taking out rides like Balloon Race and replacing it with another Balloon Ride when it probably wasn't necessary or taking out 2 kiddie coaster bringing our coaster count from 10 in 2008 to 7 in 2011 (so in other words not the smartest moves) so I think Dorney has a good possibility of getting it, plus it will have been 4 years since we got a coaster in 2012.

Michigan's Adventure could probably use it more but they got Thunderhawk (SLC) in 2008 and they seem to be the type of park that doesn't get major rides very often.

Valleyfair last got a coaster in 2007 but they also have an impulse like us but I think they could use it more than anyone.

If Dorney does get the ride, I guess that means we will have to wait another 3 or 4 years after this coaster is added to get the rumored GCI.
Yoshi

Re: Invertigo leaving Great America, new ride for Dorney?

Postby dptalon135 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:23 pm

If this happens, I am done with the park. Dorney was on a path to become a really great park, but is now nothing but a dumping ground for all the shit in the chain that nobody else wants to deal with.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby cf4444 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:50 pm

I hope that this ride goes elsewhere. The only new thing in the past 5 years have been Hydra and the Ice Show (Not counting Planet Snoopy). Hopefully a park that has a bigger need for this ride comes about. We have two inverts, and one of them is a shuttle already. How about ValleyFair! or MA? I dont think they have inverts. (Aside from THwak at MA.)

If we do get it, I would be disappointed, but I wouldnt say I was done with the park. Its still one of the best deals around.
cf4444

Postby dptalon135 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:18 pm

My frustration is not so much with the park as it is with Cedar Fair. It's really a shame to have seen (from the inside and outside) how things have degraded in quality over the past 10 years, primarily as the result of corporate decisions like this one would be. The last thing the park needs is another unreliable pile of garbage like this ride after the additions of Possessed and Demon Drop.

I really hope to see this ride go to Michigan's Adventure or Valleyfair. It would benefit those parks much more. Ultimately though, the ride should be junked. Having ridden the one at King's Island, it's a pretty lousy ride experience.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby FutureMan2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 am

Ironically enough I posted a thread a couple months ago about Invertigo coming to Dorney if Great America closed. I actually find the ride to be above average and would fit in just fine at Dorney maybe next to WhiteWater Landing?

On the other hand its been 4 years since Valleyfair had a new coaster and you would have to drive 300+ miles to get on another inverted coaster at another park or even a coaster with a cobra roll...

OR! is it going to Cedar Point to tie for the most roller coasters!!!! lol jk... or at least i hope thats not whats going on

Milestone Coasters:
150-Voyage
200-Behemoth
250-Intimidator
300-Kraken
FutureMan2

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:19 am

Looks like it is going to King's Dominion:
http://www.kingsdominion.com/attraction ... ?ai_id=158
Yoshi

Postby strwrse1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 am

Seriously? They get i305 & then Invertigo? How messed up is that!
strwrse1

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:00 am

Now Screamscape is saying the ride is probably going to Dorney and they said it was rumored to go to Dorney before it was even announced to be removed.

I guess this means we will maybe get the GCI in 2015 or 2016, or maybe not since if CF closes Great America we could get Vortex next or another coaster so maybe that GCI will really not be built until 2018 - 2020.

Another ride that has a lot of problems, just like Possessed. I feel bad for the maintenance people at Dorney. They have Possessed that is a lemon, Demon Drop that is old and now possibly a 3rd ride that has had a problematic history.

Not to mention the last 3 coasters added were 54", 54" and 52" height requirements. We could really use another 48" coaster or some kind of family coaster since now kids under 48" can ride only Wild Mouse and Woodstock's Express.
Yoshi

Postby strwrse1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:39 am

I understand the feeling bad as for the maintenance side of things, but why not be happy we are getting another coaster? It's a coaster that many people have never ridden or even seen as there are only 4 in existence. It will be an eye-popping attraction, which will bring more guests to the park, ie more revenue, ie more capital & reason to actually build a new coaster. We need to build the park & the number of guests, not trash it for getting another hand me down. Plus, I think they have done a preety good job of keeping Possessed running on a regular basis, so I am confident on this one as well.
strwrse1

Postby dp45879 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:06 am

Don't jump to any conclusions just yes. It's just a rumor.
dp45879

Postby nmyers16 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:14 am

Even with that web page I don't see them putting it in at KD because the major complaint people have with that park is that there are too many roller coasters and not enough flat rides. But at the same time I so dont want to see at Dorney either, I say put it out to CP so they can tie the coaster crown with SFMM.
Adrenaline is not just an addiction, but a way of life.
nmyers16

Postby FutureMan2 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:42 pm

How did you get to that link yoshi?

Milestone Coasters:
150-Voyage
200-Behemoth
250-Intimidator
300-Kraken
FutureMan2

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:34 pm

It was posted on Theme Park Review
Yoshi

Postby Kozmo 1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:21 pm

nmyers16 wrote:Even with that web page I don't see them putting it in at KD because the major complaint people have with that park is that there are too many roller coasters and not enough flat rides. But at the same time I so dont want to see at Dorney either, I say put it out to CP so they can tie the coaster crown with SFMM.

Definatley, I wouldn't say KD has too many coasters, but yeah they don't have many flats. I do think they have too many launch coasters though...I know Invertigo isn't really a launch, but it's sorta similar.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Tori_is_neat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:38 pm

This whole Invertigo thing is really, really confusing and annoying.
For one thing, Dorney has 2 inverts already, and Valleyfair! could definitely use the new coaster.
But Dorney also got Demon Drop.
So I'm not even sure how to figure this out, considering logically, it doesn't make sense.

I guess I'll have to be patient, though.

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Next

Return to Industry Discussion