New Train for Sidewinder

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

New Train for Sidewinder

Postby Yoshi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Screamscape posted a picture of the brand new Vekoma train for Sidewinder. It appears to be the same type of train on Carolina Cobra and similar restraints to Great Noreaster. I am really looking forward to trying out the new train since on Great Noreaster there is no more headbanging at all so it should make the ride a lot better. I skip it on most visits to Hershey since I find it the roughest of the 3 boomerang coasters I have ridden but now it should hopefully be the smoothest boomerang.
Yoshi

Re: New Train for Sidewinder

Postby Kozmo 1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:59 pm

I saw this too Yoshi...but the times I've ridden Sidewinder in the past few years I haven't really had a bad ride though. I love Sidewinder though, so I hope this helps with the ridership on it. And doesn't decrease capacity....there's no seatbelts or anything additional the ops will need to check is there? Just a lapbar I hope.

I hope this doesn't actualy spell doom for the ride though...it seems like often times parks will make improvements on rides right before they get removed...perhaps to make it more attractive to potential buyers....

I'd hate to see it go for another expansion of the poorly planned waterpark...:(
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Yoshi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:08 pm

It doesn't appear Carolina Cobra has seatbelts but I can't tell for sure.

Maybe my last ride on Sidewinder was just on a bad day since I had a headache after the ride compared to Morey's that I rode 4 times in a row last time I was there or the one at Lake Compounce that seemed smoother but both of those have the newer Vekoma trains (not the train type Sidewinder is getting) and Sidewinder had the older style trains.

I don't want to see any rides leave for the waterpark expansion, I think it's only a matter of time though before something else is removed. Even with 2009 expansion, it seems like it the waterpark is way too small to handle the crowds.
Yoshi

Postby dptalon135 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:24 pm

No boomerang has come close to the smoothness of Morey's Piers' Sea Serpent for me. I'm looking forward to trying these new trains out though. Even though Sidewinder isn't the worst boomerang I've been on, it has been one of my least favorite rides in the park.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby Kozmo 1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:33 am

Yoshi wrote:It doesn't appear Carolina Cobra has seatbelts but I can't tell for sure.

Maybe my last ride on Sidewinder was just on a bad day since I had a headache after the ride compared to Morey's that I rode 4 times in a row last time I was there or the one at Lake Compounce that seemed smoother but both of those have the newer Vekoma trains (not the train type Sidewinder is getting) and Sidewinder had the older style trains.

I don't want to see any rides leave for the waterpark expansion, I think it's only a matter of time though before something else is removed. Even with 2009 expansion, it seems like it the waterpark is way too small to handle the crowds.

Definatley inevitable that the waterpark will be expanded...but I never really see it being large enough to handle the crowds at Hershey unless they start charging a seperate addmission or remove all of Midway America plus most of the Pioneer area.

Hopefully with the new land (I think) they own (old golf course across the creek from the Carousel area)...they'll have some more room. They could at least relocate the Wild Mouse over there and use that piece of land...or maybee they'll get rid of Tidal Force which is probably the only ride up there I wouldn't miss.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Return to Industry Discussion