Hershey to possibly expand park and/or monorail

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Hershey to possibly expand park and/or monorail

Postby Kozmo 1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:37 am

Really intresting discussion over at Keystone Thrills http://keystonethrills.megabb.com/t279-hersheypark-buys-sfmm-s-monorail-trains

Saw this on Screamscape too...from what it looks like, they'll be expanding onto anther 31 acres afterthe road is rerouted behind the park. I think this is the old golf course...

They also purchased the 3 old monorail trains from the identical system at SFMM and an expansion of the line could happen to create a people mover in the to be even larger park.

Really cool stuff....too bad they didn't have that land in time to have put the waterpark there...should be really intresting to watch Hershey over the next few years.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Re: Hershey to possibly expand park and/or monorail

Postby dorneydude » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:22 pm

yea but its getting too expensive there...they want it to be a resort where you spend a few days...not just a park where you enjoy the day...out of my price range...though I do enjoy the park....
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby Kozmo 1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:46 pm

dorneydude wrote:yea but its getting too expensive there...they want it to be a resort where you spend a few days...not just a park where you enjoy the day...out of my price range...though I do enjoy the park....

Yeah, addmission is up there, but we've had passes for the past 3 years and will probably keep getting them. Not a bad value at all, considering the more reasonable food pricing/quality (pass discount too). I see them becoming serious competition for CP as far as a resort/destination park goes.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby djw44 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Eh Admission really is actually cheaper than Dorney if you do it right. I had a coupon and got in for 30 and the senior citizen discount at Hershey kicks in at 55 so I believe you get in for around 30 as well (don't worry there is a super senior citizen discount that gets lower than that). I went last week and had a really good time. Not one rude person throughout the entire day. The park environment at Hershey is excellent, and on a weekday, the park clears out around 7 or 8 because the families are leaving. I rode Storm Runner 8 times in a row walking on at around 7:30. The coaster selection is well rounded, the ride selection is well rounded and the park environment is excellent. The food is great as well. The food options were generally less expensive than Dorney as well. Just an overall great day. Being a transplant from the Lehigh Valley I only get to go to parks for the day as opposed to picking up a season pass for Dorney, so I would rather go spend my 30 dollars for a better park experience. Hershey really focuses on the details. Probably the best day I have had at Hershey. I hadn't been to the park since 2007 because I was under the expensive impression as well.

As for the Monorail, I am really unsure of the feasibility of making more track and extending it. I would imagine they purchased it for extra parts because of the challenge of finding parts for the ride. Why would they extend a monorail that they have to machine replacement parts for. I don't see it being feasible but I would be pleasantly surprised if they did.
djw44

Postby djw44 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Another thing I forgot to mention was that they gave a 15 percent off coupon with my ticket so we went down to that delicious barbeque stand down by Trailblazer. That park is so relaxing to go to. It really feels like an escape from everything.
djw44

Return to Industry Discussion