Hershey Flooded

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Hershey Flooded

Postby dorneydude » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:57 am

With all the flooding and even loss of zoo life, pics of coasters under water etc...I wonder how they determine if rides are safe to reopen. Do engineers come out? Are soild samples taken? How do they check ride footings etc etc. I guess we are lucky out here the the storm waters and raging rivers bypassed our park....
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Re: Hershey Flooded

Postby Kozmo 1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm not sure either, I assume footers are solid enough it shouldn't be an issue. Knoebels got it REALLY bad too, they are hopeing to open this weekend but it's still not for sure. Dutch Wonderland got flooded too, but not nearly as bad as the other 2.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Hooky965 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 am

Knoebels seems to have one of these events every three or four years. They appear to be very well equipped to handle it, and seem to be able to roll with the punches that Ma Nature throws at them. Hershey floods are more infrequent, but they do happen. The last one that I can recall was about 5 or 6 years ago, although it was not nearly as bad as what they're dealing with now.

Not a ride engineer at all, but as Koz suggested, the footers will be fine. They dig them ridiculously deep for reasons just like this. I would think that the only things that would be in question would be braking systems. Where Great Bear was underwater was at the bottom of the run near Comet, so I don't think that there would be a brake at that point in the ride. In any case, these big ticket rides are the lifeblood of the park, so it's safe to say that they will be thoroughly inspected & tested before anyone rides it again.
Hooky965

Postby Kozmo 1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:44 am

Both parks websites confirm they WILL be open this weekend. Knoebels has a listing up of what rides WILL operate this weekend but says more could be added if possible. I assume everything at Hershey will open...doesn't say otherwise.
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Yoshi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Yesterday they said on Facebook that SDL and Tidal Force will possibly be closed. Maybe since then they decided they will open. I thought Tidal Force was part of the Boardwalk anyway and would be closed for the season.
Yoshi

Postby Kozmo 1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Yoshi wrote:Yesterday they said on Facebook that SDL and Tidal Force will possibly be closed. Maybe since then they decided they will open. I thought Tidal Force was part of the Boardwalk anyway and would be closed for the season.

I just got an email from Hershey, and they said possibly SDL and TF to be closed. I hope they get SDL up and running soon and there wasn't any unrepairable damage.
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Yoshi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Yeah I don't want anything to happen to SDL. With Laser gone, SDL is even more important to me than it already was before.
Yoshi

Postby djw44 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:57 pm

I wonder how badly skyrush construction was set back. I've been really following the construction of it. Nothing is better than getting excited for and following the construction of a new coaster addition, especially one that looks as great as Skyrush will be. I will be going to Hershey next year for sure.

This is the first year in about 14 years I haven't gone to Dorney and I only went once last year. I never thought I would say that. This year I went to Kennywood, Lakemont, Hershey and Knoebel's.
djw44

Return to Industry Discussion