moreys piers going down hill

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

moreys piers going down hill

Postby insaneaboutdorney » Fri May 14, 2004 8:39 am

It has been since 1996 when the moreys put in there last big attraction the great white which I think is a great coaster. It has been very quiet down there for a long time! I know that the families are fighting over property, but they better hurry up cause the piers dont look that good anymore. It is time to make a big investment to get things rolling again! The 1980s and early 1990s things were really nice down there. I dont see that anymore!
insaneaboutdorney

Postby dptalon135 » Fri May 14, 2004 2:40 pm

Just because they haven't added a major ride does not mean they are going down hill. I've been going down there for years and I see it improving each year in various ways.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Castle Dracula

Postby rwk » Fri May 14, 2004 4:17 pm

Another bummer is the loss of Castle Dracula, burned 2002. It was on Nickels Midway Pier across from Morey's middle pier with the Sea Serpent. It was built in 1976, boat ride built 1919. http://www.darkinthepark.com has pics inside and out of the castle plus other long defunct NJ haunted attractions. Nickels pier had a wooden coaster called Jack Rabbit, in 1976 when Nickels got the pier, the name changed to Dracula's Screem Machine, then in Oct 1984 it was torn down. In 1985 kiddie rides came to the pier, and in 1999 the rides went away but the castle remained open. In 2000 a new water park by new owners was built on Nickels Midway Pier next to the castle. In Jan 2002 two teenage guys broke into the castle through a back door, and lit matches because it was dark and a curtain caught fire and they ran out and were caught by an officer on the street and arrested. The castle that had stood for 25 years and was open for 25 summers went down in 20 minutes. In spring 2002 the burnt remains of the castle were cleared away and it was all gone. It had live actors to scare people inside, like DP's haunted houses. Summer 2002 a bungee trampoline ride was erected on the former castle site for the first time. It was also there last summer, too. That really pees me off that a thrill ride replaced a long standing dark ride. Wildwood lost many more rides like on the former Hunt's Pier, now only the Golden Nugget Mine Ride is left and it's closed since 98. Morey's has dark rides, though, Dante's Inferno (rebuilt this year) and Dark River, and Jersey Junkyard, and Curse of the Mummy walk through. But, I really liked Castle Dracula and it's gone forever :cry: On my next vacation I'm going to Niagara Falls if possible because they have 8 or so walk through haunted houses, including one called Castle Dracula, some with live actors open year round, plus a ride through Ghost Blasters and more attractions.
rwk

Postby insaneaboutdorney » Sat May 29, 2004 8:19 pm

They have done some painting and added to the waterparks a little bit! Thats all they have done! With the golden nugget being moved at the end of this summer things are going to change now! The family still has to settle before they can really go forward!
insaneaboutdorney

Postby dptalon135 » Sat May 29, 2004 8:50 pm

What are you talking about the family having to settle?
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby insaneaboutdorney » Sun May 30, 2004 6:55 pm

The family is made up of two sides from the two origanal morey brothers. They have been fighting in court for several years over who will take full ownership of the properties!(piers) One of the brothers died shortly after the great noreaster was built. The other brother is retired or has passed away! Now the two sides are the families passed down from the two brothers and cant seem to agree on who will take what or who is entitled to the piers! Since all of this has been going on there has been very very slow growth down there. No major attractions or rides have been added and if you look at what they have done starting in 1969 through the 70s and 80s and including half of the 90s you could see that there is a problem now. When things get settled you will see the old hunts pier get fully developed by the morey family and major rides including coasters(investments) will start popping up on the piers again!!!!
insaneaboutdorney

Return to Industry Discussion