Hershey 2004

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Postby coastermatt » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:55 pm

Here's more regarding HP's new coaster. I found this one on the Hershey Chronicle's website:

Supervisors approve new Hersheypark ride for 2004
Hersheypark will be getting a new ride next year, but for now, that's all the park is saying about it.
At its regular meeting last Tuesday night, the Derry Township Supervisors Board approved the Preliminary/Final Land Development Plan for Hersheypark Attraction 2004. Jeff Keiser, director of community development, talked about what else the public is allowed to know at this point.  
"The ride is to be constructed along the west side of Park Avenue generally adjacent to the intersection of Park Avenue and East Derry Road," he explained. "The ride is elevated on columns and the highest point is proposed to be 195 feet.
Keiser said that some existing structures will be removed as part of the project, but it was not specified which, if any, rides will be taken out. Hersheypark will make an official announcement about the ride on Aug. 5.

Can't wait til Aug 5!!!!
coastermatt

Postby SROSSFNE » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:06 pm

Ya but the picture of the park map for the 2004 season on coasterdom makes it look like a hyper. So i think it is an intamin junior hyper, and by the looks of the park map it looks bad. But i hope it has more airtime hills then i shows on the map. There is 2 helixes though.
SROSSFNE

Postby sfnitro230 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:13 am

That picture is of the 2003 map and the coaster you see is Trailblazer (a mine train). The circled area is where Hershey is going to put the new coaster.
sfnitro230

Postby coastermatt » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:50 am

coastermatt

Postby SROSSFNE » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:26 pm

sfnitro230 wrote:That picture is of the 2003 map and the coaster you see is Trailblazer (a mine train). The circled area is where Hershey is going to put the new coaster.

OK thanks see i have never been there. lol, i guess you can see that now, lol.

Oh sorry guys, if i didnt know that was already posted, i would have posted it. lol.
SROSSFNE

Postby coastermatt » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:33 am

Although this isn't a HP seasonal events thread and we're discussing mainly about HP 2004 ride, but I thought everyone might enjoy hearing about Halloween in Hershey 2003!!!!!
For anyone who would like to know, I have found the list for 2003 regarding HP in the Dark. The "more Halloween themed rides in 2003" does refer to Midway America. Here is the link:
http://www.hersheypa.com/events/details.asp?EVENTID=789
The Frightlights Laser Show will also be FREE this year!!!! I did not see anything about the balloon fest, they probably cancelled that since pretty much the whole park, plus Creatures of the Night at ZooAmerica will be open.
I did not see Wildcat or Ferris Wheel on list. I do think the reason Ferris Wheel would be closed is because they put up hug orange cobweb on the structure of the Ferris Wheel. I don't understand why Wildcat would be closed but I did not see it on the list. There are no Halloween names as of the Midway America Rides, Frontier Flyers, the Claw, Mini Pirate, Mini Scrambler and Livery Stables as of yet but will probably be announced closer to the time of the event. Also, Lightning Racer will be running one train per track probably because the crowds are so light for this event and the rides are mainly walk-ons (no lines!) I will be going again this year and will take some pictures. Maybe we can expect Midway America to be open for Christmas, with FREE admission to the Brightlights laser show as well!!!! Can't wait till October!!!!!!
coastermatt

Postby SROSSFNE » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:19 pm

Hey i got another email today, did anyone else get it too?
SROSSFNE

Postby dptalon135 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:30 pm

What did it say?
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby coastermatt » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:28 am

Everyone prpbably already knows about the second teaser that HP sent out recently. I received it and tried to figure out what they meant by "There's going to be 10 Wild Horses!" 10 wild horses = 10 roller coasters and roller coasters are WILD just as the email says. This would be HP's 10th coaster. I was stumped at first when I received the email but it does make sense. Also, I heard that Starship America will be returning next year along with Cyclops (if it doesn't sell). The Cyclops is still out in the parking lot sitting there. I did see it's for sale at $125.000 on impri.com (I don't know if it's the correct address, but there's a HUSS Enterprise built in 1980, the same year as Cyclops).

coastermatt

Postby coastermatt » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:52 am

the site is http://www.irmpri.com Again there is a HUSS Enterprise listed at what I believe is $125.00 It was manufactured in 1980 so this would have to be Cyclops
coastermatt

Postby coastermatt » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:05 pm

Check this out:

RIDE TO COST $10 MILLION-PLUS Hersheypark Adding 10th Coaster HERSHEY, Pa. - Hersheypark officials called a press conference for Aug. 5 to announce the addition of the park's 10th roller coaster, the third of its kind, for 2004. It will be the second biggest investment in a ride ever for the park. Costing in excess of $10 million, the Rocket Coaster will go from zero to 72 miles an hour in two seconds, said Frank O'Connell, general manager of the park, which first opened in 1907. He said it will have a 150-foot top hat element that will go up vertically at a 90-degree angle, and plummet vertically in a 180-foot drop. It comes from Intaride Ltd., of Glen Burnie, Md., which is the North American Division of Intamin AG of Wollerau, Switzerland. Sandor Kernacs is Intaride president. The most Hershey ever paid for a ride before was for the Bolliger & Mabillard Great Bear Coaster that was added in 1998, costing in excess of $14 million. O'Connell said, "That was our last steel coaster. We're coming back to steel again. This will cost very close to what we paid for our Lightning Racer in 2001." He said this is the third hydraulic launching coaster in the world. The other two are the Accelerator at Knott's Berry Farm, Buena Park, Calif., and Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio. "It will be the only hydraulic coaster in the world with inversions. After a launch climb to the crest, it will go into a power dive of 180 feet into a 135-foot cobra loop and then do two-and-a-half barrel rolls, what we are calling Flying Snake Dive, with air time. "It's a quick drop and then up again toward the end of the ride. Providing air time is always popular with enthusiasts," said O'Connell. The ride will last approximately 50 seconds. It is on 2,600 feet of track that will cover four-and-a -half acres. It will interact with three existing rides -- the Monorail, Dry Gulch Railroad, and Trailblazer --and be located in the Pioneer Frontier area." O'Connell said a contest will be held to determine the name from three possibilities. They are Steel Stampede, Renegade, and Storm Rider. Work will begin on the new ride the latter part of August and the grand opening will be Mother's Day weekend in May 2004.

It seems to me that Hershey has already spilled the beans and it's not Aug 5 yet!
coastermatt

Postby DorneyDante » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:32 pm

coastermatt wrote:the site is http://www.irmpri.com Again there is a HUSS Enterprise listed at what I believe is $125.00 It was manufactured in 1980 so this would have to be Cyclops

$125.00 for an enterprise?! Who should I contact about buying that!?
DorneyDante

Postby sfnitro230 » Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:37 pm

Now it says $125,000
sfnitro230

Postby dptalon135 » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:26 pm

Darn, I woulda taken that! A great ride for $125... that'd be nice...
dptalon135
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Industry Discussion