Hersheypark Review: August 4

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Hersheypark Review: August 4

Postby dp45879 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 pm

On Tuesday, August 4, my school's student council officers and committee chairs took a trip to Hersheypark for a team-building activity. There were about 30 of us plus about 7 chaperones. In about 8 hours, I got to ride all but 4 coasters and loads of flats. Here are some reviews of the rides -

First we rode the carousel (walk-on) as a group and then split up. Our group went to Xtreme Cup Challenge (5 minute wait). Afterwards, we decided to brave the 1 hour line for Fahrenheit. Waiting in line, I thought the ride would be overhyped but it ended up being my favorite in the park. Great drop and great last airtime hill. 10/10. Following Fahrenheit, we went to take a ride on Howler (2 cycle wait) and went to Sidewinder (15 minute wait). I only fhit my head about 3 times. Not too bad. 6/10.

We took a lunch break at Subway with the whole group and took group ride on Trailblazer (2 train wait) which was a pretty bad mine train with an okay helix. 4/10. Following a vote, we decided to all take a ride on Storm Runner (10-15 minute wait). This was my first launch coaster with a tophat and really took me by surprise. Awesome coaster. 10/10. From there, we split up again and went to Coal Cracker. 15 minute wait. Good flume, I really like the airtime on hydro-flumes. 7/10.

Next we rode great bear (15-20 minute wait) which was a really bad inverted coaster. No forces whatsoever except for the pre-drop helix. The crew was also moving very slowly with stacking up to a minute. Talon crew really rocks. 5/10. Next, we walked over to take a ride on Wild Mouse. (10-15 minute wait) There were only 2 brakes in total which made for a great ride 7/10. Went to ride the Whip and Music Express. Since Lightning Racer was right there, we took a ride (Lightning, 3 train wait). Fun ride but lacking airtime (8/10). From there we rerode Fahrenheit (20 minute wait), Fender Bender, and Great Bear. Overall, I had a really great day and expect to return as soon as October.
dp45879

Re: Hersheypark Review: August 4

Postby Yoshi » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Sound like lines weren't too bad (for Hershey). October can get really crowded, especially Saturday's since the admission price is so much lower than during the regular season and with all the rides open usually except the water rides.
Yoshi

Postby dp45879 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:39 pm

^ How bad are the crowds on a Sunday (usually)?
dp45879

Postby Yoshi » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:50 pm

I don't know, the last time I went on a Sunday was the last Sunday in October in 2005. Back then it was free admission with pay as you go or a wristband. It was dead, Great Bear was a walk on, Storm Runner was a station wait, Comet was 10 - 15 minutes etc. I have heard that it gets a lot more crowded since they switched to regular admission so I don't think it will be as empty as it was in 2005 but probably a lot less crowded than a Saturday. I also went on a Saturday in 2006 and it was a little more crowded but not too bad but from reading trip reports on other sites in 2007 and 2008, it souds like it got a lot more popular with longer lines.
Yoshi

Postby dp45879 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Hmm...I wonder if it would be any better Halloween day. I was planning on going for my birthday but I HATE long lines.
dp45879

Postby captaincrook » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:10 am

Even though Hershey Park tickets seem to go up each year, compared to other regional amusement parks, it is still a good value. You can usually find discounted tickets through local township offices and food stores. In addition you will want to check the www.hershey.com website for additional discounts and promotions.
captaincrook

Postby djw44 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:54 pm

I remember going to Hershey in October a few years ago, it was packed, but there was really something special about it. That park almost seems to get better when it is more packed. Besides waiting for Fahrenheit, I do not mind waiting for rides there actually.
djw44

Postby Yoshi » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:59 pm

I went on the first Sunday in October they were open last year. It was one of the best trips to Hershey I ever had. I thought it would be very crowded since it was around 75 and sunny but the park was empty. Other than Fahrenheit with a 15 minute wait and Great Bear with a 10 minute wait (1 train running), all the other coasters were either a walk on or 1 train wait. I was even able to walk onto Storm Runner 3 times in a row.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to Hershey at all this year :cry:
Yoshi

Postby djw44 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:59 pm

This year I got to Hershey back in June. It was a real pleasure. I never had as much fun at Hershey as I did last time.
djw44

Return to Road Trips