Great Adventure, 9/7/09

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure, 9/7/09

Postby Yoshi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:48 pm

After not taking a trip to the park in over 2 months, I thought Labor Day would be a good day to go with low crowds since I have been to Dorney and Hershey on Labor Day in past years and crowds were low. Unfortunately, the park was more crowded than I was expecting.

Nitro was first, the line was just past the 30 minute sign but with 3 trains running I was in the station in less than 5 minutes. The ops were running to check the restraints as fast as possible. I saw the rapids had a little less than a 15 minute wait

Batman was closed so I went to Skull Mountain. The line was past the turnstyle and with 2 trains running it was a little over 10 minutes. Dispatches varied, sometimes they didn't stack, other times dispatches took over 2 minutes.

The Skyway had both sides running but had a long line as did Buccanner, Fantasy Fling and Blackbeard's so I went to Frontier Adventures.

The Log Flume had a line that looked to be at least 30 minutes so I skipped it and went to Runaway Mine Train. The line was on the stairs but only 1 train was running. I didn't realize this until I was in line and it took almost 15 minutes. By the time I exited the ride, they were using 2 switchbacks. How often do you see that anymore? That meant it was around a 30 - 35 minute line and even stranger was the flashpass merge point. If someone were to use flashpass, they would still be waiting almost 20 minutes from the merge point.

Bizarro had the first set of switchbacks full. The attendant said 30 minutes but judging by the dispatches, I figured it would be longer than that so skipped it.

I went back to the Log Flume which had a 15 minute wait now. The person at the entrance was not checking for loose articles and was allowing people to bring the souvenir bottles in line. Then when they got to the boarding platform, they were told they had to drink the soda and then throw out the cup or just throw out the cup. It happened 4 times in 15 minutes. People weren't happy but they ended up throwing out their cups. If the person at the entrance isn't stopping people from bringing the cups in line then they should allow you to leave it on the platform area. It was annoying to see so many other guests getting upset (I don't blame the guests, I mean annoying that people are being told to either throw out something they bought or not ride).

Superman had a line that looked to be over 30 minutes so I went to Scream Machine. Walk on with 3 trains running. The ads in the station covering up the station art really looked bad and the 1 train with the hair product advertising looks horrible.

Kingda Ka didn't look to have a long line so I took a chance and went there next. They were now stopping people outside the station rather than at the beginning of the ramp near the lockers where the guard usually stands. After about 5 minutes in line, the ride broke down so I left especially since the line was longer than I was expecting (seeing the main queue empty, I thought it was a station wait).

I went to Nitro for 1 last ride, it was a little before the snack stand. The line moved a little slower this time taking a little over 10 minutes to get into the station. Once I got into the station, there was a small delay. 2 groups of people tried to re-ride and the ops wouldn't allow it and made them exit the train (the seats they were in were going out empty). One of the people in the first group threw something at the op at the mic when they walked down the exit ramp so they had to call security. This took a few minutes, I really hope they caught the person who threw the item.

Overall it wasn't that good of a trip to the park. I guess part of the problem was it was more crowded than I was expecting and how I was backtracking more than I should have been and only getting 6 rides in a little less than 3 hours was less than I was expecting.

I was going to try again this upcoming Sunday but I saw on the Northern Star Arena sign that Soulja Boy is going be there for a concert so I that plan is out considering I'm sure the park is going to be packed.

Ride Count:
Nitro, 2x
Runaway Mine Train, 1x
Skull Mountain, 1x
Scream Machine, 1x
Log Flume, 1x
Yoshi

Re: Great Adventure, 9/7/09

Postby robertleax » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:57 am

i also went to GA on 9/7!!! I took my 11 year old daughter and my 16 year old neighbor. Got to the park at 10am and also saw alot of people arriving early... More than i also expected. However every time we go there we go clockwise starting at KK or Toro.

Since we have not been on KK this year we headed for that. Ended up on 1st train out which was nice. Next headed over to Toro and rode twice with maybe a 1 train wait. Next was Bizarro; again no wait and then headed over to superman which looked to be 30 min so we skipped it (been at firehawk in Kings Island which is alot better). My neighbor never saw flight to the moon so we went over there which had a 15 minute wait. It was a nice break for us.

Headed out to the car for a quick bite (that's why I like getting to the park early... front row) and relaxed for about 30 minutes.

We had neighbors also in the park and they were at Nitro. They text us and said it had no wait. That was about 12:30 so we headed over there and rode twice with no wait. Went to batman which had 20 minutes wait but broke down for 10 minutes (I think talon is way better). Went to emporium to check it out and it was ok but could be much better. Hung out with Mr. Six there also. Went back to Nitro and rode it one more time (10 minute wait)

We wanted to leave but we said let's try KK. Got there; 5 minute wait so we rode it 1 more time. Toro looked over 30 minutes, so decided to just go to RT. I was surprised that they were running 2 trains on both sides!!! Just rode it once, walked around and go home.

All in all... even though it looked crowded we must have gotten lucky.

--- We were even more lucky at Kings dominion on 9/1 and 9/2 (empty, empty, EMPTY!!!) but thats another TR

KK x2
Toro x2
Bizarro x1
Nitro x3
Batman x1
RT x1

a few flats and 3d movie

Rob
robertleax

Return to Road Trips