Great Adventure, 4/1/10

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure, 4/1/10

Postby Yoshi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:21 pm

I decided to take a trip to the park for the 2nd time in less than a week, I thought crowds might be a problem but wasn't expecting it to be jammed especially after last year where lines during Spring Break week where around 15 - 20 minutes at the most.

I got to the park around 4 and the lot was around 75% full. From the lot I saw Superman had at least a 75 - 90 minute wait. First place I went was the Looney Tunes Shoppe to get my Funatics exit pass.

Nitro had almost a completely full queue and Batman was into the garden area so I went to Nitro. There was a huge line at the exit ramp and I ended up waiting almost 20 minutes with the exit pass (so much for skipping the line like the pass says). 3 trains were running and they had row 6 blocked off for exit pass and special access but they started to load the entire train from the exit for 2 trains to clear out the line, some people actually got the front row using exit passes. I got row 9 and saw the flashpass line was down the stairs.

The Dark Knight didn't look too bad so I went there next, 25 minute wait. They weren't even trying at all to make sure the cars went out full as I saw lots of cars going out half full.

Skull Mountain looked to be at least 30 minutes, the sky ride had a full queue and even Blackbeards looked to be around 30 minutes.

I went to Scream Machine, the line was in between the 30 and 60 minute sign but after 10 minutes in line and seeing the line barely move, I left and by then the line was into the swtichbacks. 2 trains were running and were stacking everytime. Twister was closed.

Rolling Thunder had just the left side open and had 2 or 3 switchbacks full. Knowing how long the line is after the switchbacks and how slow the dispatches are, I figured it was at least 45 minutes so skipped that too. Runaway Mine Train is still closed and 2 people were working on one of the trains. Bizarro had almost a full queue and the Log Flume's queue was about 2/3 full, so that was around an hour if not more.

I had enough with the crowds and lines so I decided to leave the park. A day like today showed with so many rides removed and SBNO that the current rides remaining all had huge lines as a result. There were 8 non kiddie coasters running, add in Fling, Skyway, Jolly Roger, Log Flume, Parachutes, Tea Cups, Carousel and that is only 15 non kiddie rides running in the entire park.

Besides the coasters stacking and slow dispatches the other rides were not running at full capacity. The parachutes have 4 sides, each with 2 chutes.1 might not be ready yet but why was only 1 side with 2 chutes running? The queue was almost completely full and with how slow the ride loads it was probably around a 90 minute wait if not more. Same with the skyway, only 1 side running with a full queue. Rolling Thunder should have had both sides open with all 4 trains running with it being so crowded. I know it is early in the season but the rapids open would have helped as well (SFA has their rapids open for the season already). With Scream Machine, I was expecting it to be around 20 - 25 minutes, but the way the line was moving it was probably going to be at least 45 minutes.

I also hate to bring it up so frequently but I keep seeing the lockers having the opposite happen of what they were meant for. It's supposed to speed up dispatches but it seems to slow it down with people throwing stuff to the sides in the station and then the ops have to give them back the item to take on the ride (like a jacket) or the rider spends time arguing causing even more stacking.

I'm going to try again next week after NYC schools are back in session as well as Jackson school district and hope crowds are better then.
Yoshi

Re: Great Adventure, 4/1/10

Postby dp45879 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:27 pm

That's too bad that the park was so crowded. I'm glad that the park has been looking into a flat ride package, though. It should balance out the park a little better.
dp45879

Return to Road Trips