Great Adventure, 4/7/10

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure, 4/7/10

Postby Yoshi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 pm

After going to the park last Thursday and leaving after only riding Nitro and The Dark Knight because it was so crowded I was looking forward to trying again this week. Unfortunately, after going to the dentist on Monday I was still in some pain so I wasn't sure if I should go to the park or not. I decided to take a chance and it turned out to be a good choice. It was hard to believe it was 91 out, especially since 10 days ago it was in the low 40's and I was walking around the park with a sweatshirt, 2 t-shirts, jeans and gloves.

I got to the park around 2:30 and saw the closed rides board had the usual rides like Houdini and Congo Rapids listed but I also saw Rolling Thunder, Parachutes and Twister and the Skyway closed. That meant besides the coasters, only 5 flats and the log flume were operating.

I wanted to start with some smaller coasters to see how I felt so I went to Blackbeard's first. They added more switchbacks since they made a real queue last October. It was a little under 10 minutes. Skull Mountain was next, 4 or 5 train wait for the last row. There was a lot of light in the building today. There was also a chair near the pumpkin in the final helix which seemed strange. I went back for another ride and went to Nitro next.

The line was on the stairs with 3 trains running. Dispatches were a little slower than usual with stacking and some double stacking. By the time I rode twice, the line was past the 30 minute sign so went to Batman. The line was just past the turnstyle and even though I was only in the tunnel a few minutes, it was horribly hot and stuffy. They really need some fans or air conditioning in there. Dispatches were kind of slow and I forgot how forceful the ride was.

I saw they were getting Twister open and Superman had a station wait but I skipped it today because I didn't want to ride it with your head tilted down the entire time thinking it would give me a headache again.

Scream Machine was running 2 trains but I walked right onto the front row, not too rough today. Kingda Ka had 3 trains running and was just under 20 minutes total which was the longest wait of the day. For some reason everyone went to the left side of the station and the right side with just 1 train running had less people waiting.

Rolling Thunder had also opened with just the left side running. In the work area, I saw the green train was somewhat taken apart with the headrests missing. The dispatches were a little faster today which was good to see.

El Toro had a short line out of the station and went to Runaway Mine Train. 2 trains running and most rows were a 1 or 2 train wait. I saw the Log Flume looked to have around a 30 minute line so I went back to Runaway Mine Train for 2 more rides and went to Bizarro which had a line just out of the station. 2 trains running and no stacking.

The Log Flume had a much shorter line and was around 15 minutes. They were really trying to make sure the logs went out with both sections of each log with riders.

It was 7:15 at this point and with 45 minutes left I went to the Dark Knight which was a walk on into the pre-show and I was able to stay on for a re-ride. Nitro was down to 2 trains and again on the stairs. I got 1 more ride and finished the day at Skull Mountain which was a walk on. I got 5 more rides and it was 8:05 at that point so the park was closed.

It was the best trip of the year so far and thankfully crowds weren't bad at all.

Ride Count
Nitro - 3
Batman - 1
Bizarro - 1
Kingda Ka - 1
Skull Mountain - 7
Rolling Thunder Left - 1
Runaway Mine Train - 3
The Dark Knight - 2
Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train - 1
Great American Scream Machine – 1
Log Flume - 1
User avatar
Posts: 1817
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:54 pm

Return to Road Trips

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest