Great Adventure, 6/29/10 Goodbye to Scream Machine

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure, 6/29/10 Goodbye to Scream Machine

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:08 pm

With Scream Machine said to close for good either tomorrow or Thursday, I wanted to get to the park before it closed to get my final rides in. I got to the park at 3:30 and saw the lot wasn't as crowded as I was expecting. With an 8:00 closing, I thought 4 1/2 hours should be more than enough time to get a lot of rides in.

It was a little strange pulling into the lot and seeing the ride running as always and knowing it would be the last time I would see it running as soon as I get into the parking lot.

I went there first since I didn't want to take any chances of it closing later. 2 trains running and it was a 2 train wait for the front row. It was running great as it has been all year, especially the red train. I moved to another row for a re-ride, walked around and got 2 more rides after that. Even in the 2nd to last car, it wasn't that rough compared to last year and the year before. They got rid of car 6 as being for Flashpass and let Flashpass users pick any row they want, sometimes they were allowed to get the front. If the ride wasn't closing soon, I could see this being a problem since the front row line would never move if Flashpass can get that row. Superman looked to have around a 40 minute wait.

I saw Kingda Ka had a station wait from the top of Scream Machine's lift hill so I went there next. 4 trains running and the right side of the station was packed, the left side not as much. It was around a 10 minute wait for a middle row.

Rolling Thunder had a line down the stairs and then around 15 feet past the stairs. Knowing how slow the dispatches are, it had to be around 30 minutes. Not worth it so I skipped it and went to Bizarro. 3 trains running with faster than normal dispatches thanks to a 3rd person checking restraints. It was just over 10 minutes for the last row. The sound was not working at all and the mist at the shields at the bottom of the first drop was not turned on. I hope the problem with the sound isn't anything major since after they went to all that trouble to get new trains with speakers, it's a shame to not have it working.

Runaway Mine Train had 2 trains running, 2 train wait. Now instead of Flashpass merging at the stairs which seemed stupid because the line very rarely gets that long (twice in close to 40 trips to the park have I seen the line to the bottom of the stairs) they had the middle row of the 3rd car chained off for Flashpass.

The Log Flume had a huge line and I went back to Scream Machine. This time I got the white train which wasn't as smooth as the red train but not too bad. I walked around again and got the red train. It was a little after 6:00 at this point and I went to the other side of the park.

Skull Mountain was a 2 train wait for the last row. The 5th car is no longer closed off for Flashpass users and I am guessing it is like Scream Machine where Flashpass can choose any row. Nitro's line was just past the 30 minute sign and was a little over 10 minutes with 3 trains running. I walked around for a 2nd ride with a 5 minute wait. Batman's line was just out of the station and was around 10 minutes. They really need some fans in the tunnel with the stairs since it was horrible standing in that part of the line even though I was only in the tunnel for less than 2 minutes. I got a seat on the right side of the train and forgot how intense the zero g roll was sitting on that side of the train.

I decided to finish the trip back at Scream Machine. Just the red train was running and it was a 1 train wait for the 2nd car. I decided to walk around and wait 2 trains for the front row and that would be my final ride. It was hard to think that it was my last time going up the lift hill, down the drop, through the 3 loops, batwing and double corkscrew. As much as I am looking forward to Chang, I am really going to miss the ride. I am just glad I was able to get some final rides in before the ride closed.

Ride Count:
Scream Machine, 8x (65 total rides since 2007 when I first rode the coaster)
Nitro, 2x
Batman, 1x
Kingda Ka, 1x
Runaway Mine Train, 2x
Bizarro, 1x
Skull Mountain, 1x
Yoshi

Re: Great Adventure, 6/29/10 Goodbye to Scream Machine

Postby dorneydude » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 pm

is gasm similar to talon or hydra...why are they removing it?
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 pm

It's an Arrow looper with 7 inversions. The rumor is Chang a standup coaster from Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom will be replacing it.
Yoshi

Postby dorneydude » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:48 am

how many inversions on Hydra / Talon...to be honest I find those coasters annoying! Aren't those standups, like real old...and painfull to ride. I'd like to try one but I heard the stand ups and laydowns are not much 'fun'...thoughts....
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:07 am

Talon has 4, Hydra has 7, Chang has 5. I have never ridden a standup but Chang is supposed to be one of the better ones and smooth. I am not a fan of flying coasters, the pretzel loop is too intense but the rest of the ride is boring and short plus having your head tilted down on the brake run is uncomfortable, they seem to be popular though. Superman has one of the longest lines in the park on a regular basis.
Yoshi

Postby FutureMan2 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:19 am

Most B&M stand ups are the most unpleasant rides I have ever been on ie Mantis and Vortex at Carowinds (my 2nd worst ride experience ever) HOWEVER Chang and Riddlers Revenge are great rides. Each time B&M built a stand up coaster the ride experience greatly improved. Unfortunately, once they got it right parks already moved on to the next kind of ride.

Milestone Coasters:
150-Voyage
200-Behemoth
250-Intimidator
300-Kraken
FutureMan2

Postby Tori_is_neat » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:48 am

My girlfriend and my brothers wouldn't let me ride Iron Wolf at SFGAm because they said it was the worst ride experience they ever had. -_- Stand Ups aren't so awesome, especially for guys, from what I understand. It'll be interesting to see how it goes over at SFGAdv, though.

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Now there is a rumor that not only is Chang coming but 10 flats as well. I hope that is true since the park is really lacking in flat rides and non coaster rides.
Yoshi

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:48 pm

I hope that's true. The park needs flat rides and family rides far more than another big coaster.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Return to Road Trips