Great Adventure, 4/10/11

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure, 4/10/11

Postby Yoshi » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Like everyone else on this site, I have been waiting for the cold winter and offseason to end and finally start riding coasters again. I was a little worried about crowds after hearing about long lines yesterday but like the past 2 years, going on Sunday of opening weekend was a good idea since the park wasn't crowded at all.

I got to the park a little before 3:00 and went to Nitro first. 2 trains were running with the 3rd train taken apart near the train storage room. I hope they get the 3rd train running soon. Today 2 trains was fine but with spring break coming up, they are going to need the 3rd train. The boneyard near the first drop has a lot of new additions like part of the center of the Royal Elephants ride, part of the pirate ship play area from Wiggles World and a bunch of signs and statues from Wiggles World. It was a 2 train wait and I walked around for another ride.

Skull Mountain was next, 2 trains were running but 1 train had the last car closed off and the other train had car 5 closed off. The skull figure was turned to face the train at the bottom of the first drop and was lit up along with the pumpkin in the final helix and the tiki mask that I have never seen lit up before near the first drop. The other tiki mask near the final helix and pumpkin in the middle of the ride were not lit up and are only visible if you see them during the strobes (and you have to know where to look).

The Skyway had the right side running and the new cars look great. Runaway Mine Train and the Sawmill Log Flume were both walk ons. Thankfully no one was at the water cannons since it was around 60 degrees out and getting soaked wouldn't have been fun. Bizarro was listed on the closed rides board but was running with 2 trains. I didn't see the 3rd train anywhere. Dispatches were a little slow with some stacking but it is the beginning of the season so hopefully the dispatches will be faster as the season goes on.

I went back to Runaway Mine Train and went to Plaza Del Carnaval. It was nice to see Tango running and I stopped there for a ride. I decided to skip Rolling Thunder as I had a slight headache already.

Kingda Ka had no wait to get into the station. I noticed they opened up the first part of the old queue, normally there was a small fence and you turned left to get to the switchback area. They removed the fence and there is an additional queue area now I guess since they expect the switchbacks to be full more often now. It was a 3 train wait and a little less than 5 minutes. It would be nice to see the back loading area used for unloading that way the train can come to the front part of the station empty and be loaded faster. Otherwise, the dispatches seemed fast but it should be interesting to see what happens on a more crowded day.

I skipped Superman for the same reason I skipped Rolling Thunder, I didn't want to make the headache worse with the pretzel loop. I stopped at Blackbeard's, went back to Nitro, Skull Mountain and Batman and finished the day at the Dark Knight. There was no wait to get into the pre-show room and the only actual wait was just watching the movie. I was able to get a re-ride.

It was a great start to the season with low crowds and short waits. It was also the first time other than season pass nights that I didn't see a single person using the Flashpass.

Ride Count:
Nitro, 3x
Kingda Ka, 1x
Batman, 1x
Runaway Mine Train, 2x
Skull Mountain, 4x
Skyway, 1x
Log Flume, 1x
Tango, 1x
Bizarro, 1x
Blackbeard's, 1x
The Dark Knight, 2x
Yoshi

Re: Great Adventure, 4/10/11

Postby stealth220 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Sounds like you had a good trip! Wish I could say the same about my visit today...I'll be posting a TR soon.
stealth220

Re: Great Adventure, 4/10/11

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:09 am

That's a shame, I heard Thursday and Friday were packed. I made the mistake of going the Thursday before Easter last year and will never go then again.
Yoshi

Return to Road Trips