Great Adventure, 5/6/11 Coasters After Dark

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure, 5/6/11 Coasters After Dark

Postby Yoshi » Sun May 08, 2011 10:12 pm

I got to the park a little after 6:00, with a 9:00 closing that didn't leave a lot of time but I expected low crowds and for the most part ride lines were nonexistent. There were a lot of school kids still in the park from the music competition and I think Physics Day but not that many of them riding coasters.

First ride of the day was Nitro, 3 trains running with a completely empty station except a 1 train wait for the front. I got a re-ride but left when I saw they were cycling trains empty to take the 3rd train off.

The Skyway wasn't running so I went to Skull Mountain. 1 train wait for the last row and I got 4 rides without having to move. I stopped at Blackbeard's, went over to the Log Flume that had no line and to Runaway Mine Train. I really don't like the ads on the fort. Besides the ads being all over, they took down some of the old black and white historical type photographs near the queue for Runaway Mine Train to put up a banner. There are also signs and banners all over the station. I got the train that didn't have ads and got 4 rides, just having to change seats once.

From Runaway Mine Train I saw Bizarro was only running 1 train with a line past the stairs. I figured it was at least a 25 minute wait and didn't feel like waiting so I went back to the Log Flume and then to to Rolling Thunder. Just the right side was running with 2 trains running and it was a 1 train wait. I rode Tango twice with no wait and went to Superman. 1 train was running but it was a walk on, even for the front row. I took advantage of that, stopped at the Parachutes and decided to finish the night at Kingda Ka. It was a little less than a 5 minute wait and was able to get 3 rides before the park closed.

It was another great trip to the park and good chance to get a lot of rides in.

Ride Count:
Nitro, 2x
Skull Mountain, 4x
Blackbeard's, 1x
Log Flume, 2x
Runaway Mine Train, 4x
Tango, 2x
Rolling Thunder Right, 1x
Superman, 1x
Parachutes, 1x
Kingda Ka, 3x
Yoshi

Re: Great Adventure, 5/6/11 Coasters After Dark

Postby djw44 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:27 pm

I heard rumors that the park was not looking as maintained this year with things needing paint and empty storefronts. Is there any weight to these rumors?
djw44

Re: Great Adventure, 5/6/11 Coasters After Dark

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:08 am

A couple stores are closed, the Jersey Shore candies and Big Wheel Deals and 1 or 2 stores at the entrance. The only real loss is Big Wheel Deals since that was where all the clearance merchandise was and it was always fun to stop in there and see what they had.

I haven't really noticed anything needing paint.

Otherwise, the park is being run somewhat better. Multiple trains are always running, it is nice having Tango reopened and the Skyway is running more than in past years. Dispatches still aren't as fast as at Dorney though since the park refuses to have 4 people checking restraints on the coasters like at Dorney (except for Green Lantern).
Yoshi

Return to Road Trips