Lakemont Park June 4th

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Lakemont Park June 4th

Postby djw44 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:22 pm

So I live in Pittsburgh and I was driving back from a nice week in Ithaca, NY. I was going to drive back Interstate 86 to Interstate 90 to Interstate 79 through Erie and stop in Waldameer to ride the Ravine Flyer quick since it is a nice driving break going in since it is just a ticket park and I can go in and out. I do this pretty often when I come back from there but as I was driving I decided to go a different way since I am random and cut down state route 15 to I believe it is 110 to I80 and I99 then eventually to State route 22 through Williamsport, State College and Altoona. I was chasing through a shower and it was still raining once I hit Delgrosso's so I had to skip that unfortunately. I was in luck though about 5 miles from the Altoona exit to go to Lakemont the rain had stopped. So I went in, ran up to the ticket booth and rode the Skyliner. What a fun ride, it is smooth, has some nice little pops of airtime, and it is very twisty and seems to just fly through the course. I was surprised, just a very relaxing ride. One of the coolest things about this ride is that it is right off the outfield wall of the ballpark for the minor league Altoona Curve. It was a very interesting setting for a roller coaster and it was really neat the view from the coaster and the view of the coaster looming over the outfield.

The sky was looking pretty nasty so I ran to Leap the Dips, the oldest roller coaster in the world. It started raining a little bit as I got on but it wasn't too bad. What a neat ride. I was expecting it to be slow and sort of dull but I was wrong! It was an extremely fun ride, very neat with the old style track without the under the track wheels (I forget the proper term for it) and the running steel plates holding the train on the track. I felt bad for the ride op having to push the train from the station to the lift but it would still be fun to run. No lapbar, no seatbelts. Pretty cool ride. The drops were quick and surprisingly steep with some nice pops of airtime. The ride coasts along very nice. Unfortunately the skys let loose right before I could get on the toboggan. I have been dying to ride one of those Chance Toboggans after seeing the SBNO one at Conneaut but it was just not meant to be. I probably spent about half an hour in the park and it was alot of fun. Not alot of people in the park unfortunately but it was nice for the people in it. On Skyliner when people would get off the ride, the people could get back on in the empty rows. Just a nice family park. I have one more wood coaster left before I have all of the wood coasters in the state (just Rollo Coaster at Idlewild).

I've been meaning to get to Lakemont Park for some time. I rode through Altoona in the offseason the one year and seeing Lakemont off the road I just had to go back and go to the park. Just a very nice little park and every area could use a nice little park like this you can go to and spend an hour or 2 or the night whenever you feel like. It is nice with the free parking and the tickets it is the kind of place you can just randomly go to and have a nice time. I was bracing myself on the coasters worrying they would be as poorly maintained as the Blue Streak at Conneaut (I had my only near death feeling experience on a roller coaster on there last fall), but the coasters were very smooth and felt very well maintained. I cannot wait to go back there again and enjoy the park fully when there isn't a storm coming and I am not in a rush.
djw44

Re: Lakemont Park June 4th

Postby HighSpeedThrillCoaster » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:55 pm

When you go back make sure you ride Skyliner in the back seat. Great air on the first drop :)
HighSpeedThrillCoaster

Re: Lakemont Park June 4th

Postby djw44 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:42 pm

I went again over the weekend, and wow you are right about skyliner! What a great ride. We rode it 9 or 10 times in a row because no one was in the station (not good news for the park but still a blast). You can't beat 9.95 for an all day wristband! We rode just about everything and it was another great day.
djw44

Return to Road Trips