Great Adventure, 6/6/12

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure, 6/6/12

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:54 am

I got to the park at around 11:45 to find the lot with hardly any cars but a lot of buses. Walking to the entrance I saw that Superman looked to be 30 - 40 minutes and Green Lantern looked to be at least 30 minutes. Seeing Kingda Ka listed on the closed rides board made me think all lines would be bad but thankfully that wasn't the case.

I went to Nitro first with a 1 train wait for row 9. I was able to get a re-ride in row 8 and this was an important ride for me. It was my 200th ride on Nitro which is also the first coaster I have ever ridden 200 times. It took me over 5 years to get to that many rides but even after all those rides, I am not bored of it unlike some other coasters I have ridden over 100 times.

I stopped at Batman waiting 2 trains and then went to Deja Vu. I haven't ridden a scrambler in years so I was looking forward to trying out the ride. The music playing and the old park logos were really great to see but unfortunately, the ride cycle was very short. It seemed like it ran for around 30 seconds at full speed before slowing down.

I was going to take the Skyway to Frontier Adventures but as soon as I got in line, I kept cutting cut in line by a lot of school kids so I decided to walk instead. The log flume had no wait and then I went to Bizarro. Dispatches were slow as usual with double stacking but there was no wait and I was able to get a re-ride.

Runaway Mine Train was next, no wait and I got 3 rides. I took the Skyway back to Dream Street waiting around 5 minutes and then went to Skull Mountain again with no wait and like Runaway Mine Train I got 3 rides. Nitro's line was just past the stairs and I stopped there for 3 more rides.

I saw The Dark Knight had the pre-show doors open so I took advantage of not waiting to get into the pre-show. They loaded too many people in the room though and told people to fill in all available space which caused people to cut in line to fill in the space. It wasn't their fault since the ride op told them to do that but I think it would have been better to just have those people wait for the next pre-show.

Blackbeard's had no wait so I stopped there and then went to Green Lantern which now had about a 10 minute wait. With the single rider line, I walked right on since no one was in that line and I got the front row. Dispatches were slower than normal with double stacking every time. Superman had broken down and I couldn't tell if riders were evacuated from the brake run or not.

I went to the Parachutes next. 2 sides were open and as usual, the GP all follows one another to one line with one side having around a wait and the other side with no one in line. Since I picked the side with no line and no one was waiting after my ride, I was allowed a double ride. I really wish you were at the top for longer, since you are only stopped for about 4 seconds before the parachute starts to lower.

Since Superman was still closed, I went back to Green Lantern and the line now looked to be around 20 minutes since people from Superman's line probably left and went to Green Lantern. Like my first ride, I walked right onto the ride using the single rider line and got row 6.

From the Parachutes, I saw Kingda Ka had opened with a line past the ride entrance but no switchbacks were being used. It looked to be at least a 30 minute wait since I guess everyone who had been at the park and wanted to ride was now going to the coaster since it had been closed all day. I'm not willing to wait that long for the ride plus there was always a chance it would breakdown while I was waiting in line which has already happened to me multiple times this season so I skipped it today.

I went back to Frontier Adventures stopping at the Log Flume, Runaway Mine Train and again taking the Skyway to Dream Street going to Skull Mountain and finishing the day at Nitro.

I was starting to feel like I had enough even though I would have liked to have kept riding more coasters and the park was closing in less than an hour so I called it a day and left.

It is going to be difficult dealing with crowds at the park again once school gets out since my last few trips have almost all been empty with lots of riding with no waiting.

Ride Count:
Nitro, 6x
Batman, 1x
Skull Mountain, 4x
The Dark Knight, 1x
Blackbeard's, 1x
Green Lantern, 2x
Log Flume, 2x
Skyway, 2x
Runaway Mine Train, 4x
Bizarro, 2x
Parachutes, 2x
Deja Vu, 1x
Yoshi

Re: Great Adventure, 6/6/12

Postby rollercoaster10000 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:36 pm

How did you get into the single riders line? Whenever I go it's always blocked by trash cans for some reason.
rollercoaster10000

Re: Great Adventure, 6/6/12

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:03 pm

It's not always open. In almost all my trips to the park in April and May it was closed and it also usually is closed early and late in the day. It can be annoying when it's not open and you are in line seeing empty spots in the train. I heard it depends on crowd and the amount of employees they have working at the ride that day to determine if it's open or not but I don't know how true that is because I have seen it closed when the park is very busy like closing day last year and open on days when the ride hardly has a wait.
Yoshi

Return to Road Trips