Hershey 8/25

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Hershey 8/25

Postby stealth220 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Going into some detail on this one so sit tight and enjoy.

Got to the gates around 11:30 (took a very long time to get through the light, even with a cop managing it) and headed to the back of the park first since the entrance was already extremely crowded.

Trailblazer was first to warm up one of my friends, short wait and 2 trains running. Nice to not have to deal with seat belts, although the lap bar was very tight. We saw StormRunner had a very short line so we headed there next. None of the switchbacks were used so we waited less than 15 minutes. Took the third row for some extra legroom and got a nice airtime-filled ride.

Hit up Midway America next, stopping at the woodies. Wildcat had a line to the front of the switchbacks, but without using the switchbacks. 20 minutes and got a back seat ride. Less hammering than I remember, but definitely an 'out-of-control' ride, not rough. Lightning Racer was similar, a little smoother than I remember. All trains were running so the wait was less than 15 minutes.

Sidewinder was closed (I considered giving it another chance with the new trains) and Fahrenheit's first set of switchbacks were full, and knowing how terrible the operations are on that ride we skipped it for now.

Without boring you with the details we grabbed a tour of Chocolate World and the sea lion show (sea lions = great, actors = not so much, but great diving skills) and headed back into the park for some more rides.

Great Bear had about half of the switchbacks full so we went to SkyRush. The line was full but I will give Hershey credit - it kept moving. Less than 45 minutes until we were in the back seat. From the station to the top of the first airtime hill were AMAZING - and then the lap bar came down. Everything I've read about this was true, my legs were in excruciating pain by the time we got off. I loved the open feeling of the trains but something really needs to be done about the lap bars by next season or I doubt I'll be taking too many spins on SkyRush.

From there we grabbed a ride on SDL with its new trains. Didn't notice much of a difference from the old ones except the seat might have been more comfortable. Not much to be said about this one - it still does the same thing 30 years later and it does it well.

Headed back to Great Bear to see that the line was now just at the end of the switchbacks, so we waited less than 15 minutes. 2nd row was very forceful the night ride over the creek really made me rethink my rating for this ride. It was 9:20 but we figured we could grab another ride there so we did. With 15 minutes left we powerwalked over to Comet, which had a full queue all day until now. Just one switchback took 15 minutes with 2 trains running. The 2nd-to-last row gave some nice pops of airtime and the ride was running as smooth as ever. I don't know why, but those PTC trains really just glide over the rails, instead of the Millennium Flyers that seem to find every imperfection in the track. I think it's just me who has this opinion though :-)

Saturday may not have been the best day to go but we got in a decent amount of rides (MANY more than I got at Six Flags in April) and the weather was perfect. Hershey really stepped up their operations since the last time I was there in 2010. Not up to Dorney's standards with the coasters, but there were many times were they were dispatching just as the other train was returning.

Things I noticed: at 9:30 they had taken a train off of SkyRush, which still had a full queue. Not sure what the reason for this was but I can only imagine how late the riders and crew were there. Also, the trains on Comet flex a lot more than any other 3-bench PTCs I've been on. Maybe they're not articulated? But the entire car literally flexes as it goes around the corners. From my experience, other coasters are much more rigid. Just curious.
stealth220

Re: Hershey 8/25

Postby djw44 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Skyrush is unrideable as is. The ride would be fantastic if the lapbars were not painful. Skyrush would possibly be a top 10 ride if it had restraints that were anywhere near the comfort level of the clamshell. The 3 bench ptc trains are meant to flex a ton so that is not out of the ordinary.
djw44

Postby strwrse1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:46 am

I have to differ. I am a bigger guy & after having rode with both variations of the lap bar, I have had no problems. I didn't feel either was too tight or give any leg pain. I'm still trying to figure out what this leg pain is. Everyone I talk to has not experienced it.I have definately put in in my top 2 coasters of all time & It may become my favorite coaster after we see how it runs in the fall.
strwrse1

Postby djw44 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:50 pm

The problem with the lap bar is that it grips you half way down the thigh, and then it gets even tighter on this sensitive part of the leg. Lapbars are meant to be closer to the waist and have the pressure spread out as opposed to all force being placed upon 2-3 inches of your middle thigh. Then with their terrible stacking issues, your legs fall asleep as you are waiting to get off the train.
djw44

Postby stealth220 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 pm

^ absolutely, it's just on the wrong part of the leg. Which was nice, because I was actually out of my seat on some parts (a feeling that isn't around as much today since almost everything has hydraulic restraints that are always pushed down all the way) but the pain just wasn't worth it. Lucky for me the stacking wasn't bad at all when I was there but I still had the pins and needles feeling while waiting to get out. And judging by everyone else's reaction, it wasn't just me.
stealth220

Postby djw44 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:07 am

You usually hear people yelling in thrill over airtime hills instead of yelling "OWWWWWW!"
djw44

Postby Yoshi » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:11 pm

I really hope they do something about the pain the restraints are causing over the offseason. It looks like I won't be getting to Hershey this year but after all the reports of how painful the ride is, I don't feel like I missed much if I don't get there until next year.
Yoshi

Return to Road Trips