Great Adventure 6/11/13

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure 6/11/13

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:05 pm

With the forecast calling for a chance of thunderstorms all day, I decided to take a chance on the weather and go to the park today hoping for low crowds.

I got to the park at 2:15 and went to Nitro first. 3 trains were running with the line at the bottom of the stairs. I walked around for another ride and it started raining when the train dispatched and by the time the train go to the top of the lift it was pouring and I had to take the hood of my jacket and cover my face since it was painful getting hit with the raindrops.

I ran over to Skull Mountain and waited 1 train and then moved to another row for a re-ride. The rain had stopped by then but most rides were still shut down including all the outdoor coasters and many of the non coaster rides. Jolly Roger was open so I went there. I hadn't ridden Jolly Roger in a few years and forgot how slow it was. The cycle was also short but it was still an ok ride.

I went back to Skull Mountain waiting 2 trains and saw the rides were beginning to open up. I went back to Nitro and had a station wait and then went to Deja Vu which only had a few people in line.

Blackbeard's had no wait so I stopped there and then it started to drizzle again. I saw Kingda Ka was running and I wasn't sure how much rain the ride can run in so I went over there hoping to be able to ride before it closed. The front row was a 3 train wait but I didn't want to risk not getting a ride so I went to a middle row with no wait. 2 trains were running. It had stopped raining again so I was able to get 2 more rides with a 1 - 2 train wait.

The parachutes had a short wait but there were some gusts while I was in line which shut down the ride.

Superman had a 2 train wait and was running 1 train. Green Lantern was also running 1 train and was a 1 train wait but after boarding the train they made everyone go back behind the air gates because the ride had minor technical difficulties. They ended up taking the train off the track and use the other one (the 3rd train is still not put together). I was able to get a re-ride since the station was empty.

The parachutes had reopened with no wait so I stopped there and went to Frontier Adventures.

This is probably the first year since becoming a passholder that I hadn't ridden the Log Flume until June so I went there next with a 5 minute wait. The new sections of the ride look nice.

Runaway Mine Train was also running 1 train with no wait. Bizarro was running 2 trains with a mostly empty station so I was able to get 3 rides without leaving my seat.

Rolling Thunder also had a mostly empty station with just the right side running with 2 trains. I was going to take the Skyway back to the other side of the park but it was no longer running so I walked to Movietown and went to The Dark Knight with no wait.

It was 20 minutes until park closing so I finished the day at Nitro which was now running 2 trains. I was able to get 4 more rides just having to change rows a couple of times.

The park wasn't crowded all day but once the few school groups left at around 5:00, it was even emptier. It was nice they were open until 8:00 since it was a great opportunity to ride as much as you wanted without lines.

Ride Count:
Nitro, 7x
Skull Mountain, 3x
Jolly Roger, 1x
Deja Vu, 1x
TDK, 1x
Blackbeard's, 1x
Superman, 1x
Green Lantern, 2x
Log Flume, 1x
Runaway Mine Train, 1x
Bizarro, 3x
Rolling Thunder Right, 1x
Parachutes, 1x
Kingda Ka, 3x

Photos are here:
www.greatadventurehistory.com/Forums/in ... topic=3676
Yoshi

Re: Great Adventure 6/11/13

Postby djw44 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:29 am

Wow, 3x on Ka. That is an impressive feat and shows how empty the park was. Are the ops still slow as molasses and are they only running 2 trains still?
djw44

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:54 am

They run 3 trains when the park is more crowded than it was on Tuesday (I think the 4th train is now being used for parts for the other 3 trains). They changed the loading setup at the beginning of last year where only 1 station is loaded from and now have 4 people checking restraints so dispatches are faster even with less trains running. The switch track is also no longer used because of them only using 1 station which supposedly helps keep the ride to breakdown less.
Yoshi

Postby djw44 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:48 am

They really bungled that setup. Dragster's set up is an absolute winner.
djw44

Return to Road Trips