Great Adventure 7/22/13

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure 7/22/13

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:24 pm

I haven't been to the park in over a month and haven't been to the park on a day in July since 2010 (because of crowds) but with a chance of a rain, I thought crowds might be low. The forecast showed a 0% chance of rain until 6:00 and getting there around 1:45 I thought I would have just over 4 hours of no rain. I should have known not to trust the forecast after 3 weeks ago when it was an 80% chance of rain all day when I went to Kennywood and it rained for 20 minutes in the morning and was clear the rest of the day. When I was around 20 minutes away from the park it started to rain but let up once I got closer to the park.

First was Nitro, 3 trains were running with a line on the stairs. Dispatches were slower than normal with some double stacking but still only around a 10 minute wait.

I thought I'd go to the other side of the park and saw the Skyway had hardly anyone in line when it started raining. On the other side of the park I saw Runaway Mine Train was around 15 minutes and Saw Mill Log Flume was at least 30 minutes and took the Skyway back to the Dream Street Station. At the fort, the right side had a line for the Skyway but the left side had no one in line. That always seems to happen where everyone follows each other and then they don't even realize the other side is open.

Since it was still raining I went to Skull Mountain with a little less than a 15 minute wait and then Blackbeard's which I didn't think ran in the rain. They are again running the ride with 2 laps.

It kept raining and stopping so I went back to Skull Mountain for 2 more rides and back to Nitro only to find it closed along with the other major coasters in the park. Since it was right there and open I went to The Dark Knight next. The pre-show room had water all over the floor.

Deja Vu had no wait but soon got a line since it was one of the few rides still open. I went back to Skull Mountain waiting a few minutes and there was thunder every few minutes. The only rides running were Skull Mountain, TDK, Carousel, Jolly Roger and Tea Cups.

Around 15 minutes later it stopped raining and I hoped the coasters would start to open up again but the thunder never went away. I went to Best of the West to use the dining pass and it started raining again. Once it cleared up I decided to leave and then then it was a downpour walking to the car. 537 was all backed up with traffic and it took around 30 minutes from when I left the parking lot until I got to 195.
Yoshi

Re: Great Adventure 7/22/13

Postby djw44 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Which one is Deja Vu? I forget. Yeah you have got to try to play the rain on those days, best way to avoid crowds. Where are you from that puts you in such close proximity to GADV?
djw44

Re: Great Adventure 7/22/13

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Deja Vu is the Scrambler they added last year that used to be in their American Adventures park in Georgia.

I live near Willow Grove so I'm almost an equal distance from Great Adventure and Dorney. It takes me around 45 minutes to get to Dorney and around 50 minutes to get to Great Adventure.
Yoshi

Return to Road Trips