The History Section of the Site

Give us your feedback on Dorney Park Online. Ask any site related questions here as well, including affiliate requests. You do not need to be registered to post in this forum, though any off-topic messages will be immediately removed.

Moderator: dptalon135

The History Section of the Site

Postby modernphoenixv2 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:42 pm

Is there any idea when the history section of the site will be updated? I see that request for historical info and pictures on the main site and I can't wait to look through all that you receive. I love the history.
modernphoenixv2

Postby slnewbus » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:23 pm

We are working on it. It has been tough for us to do stuff with the site because we all work full time. But rest assured, we are working on it, in addition to a photo update as well.
slnewbus

Postby modernphoenixv2 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:28 pm

Very cool, I'm a big history fan. Thanks for the reply.
modernphoenixv2

Postby slnewbus » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:34 pm

As for history you might enjoy this, I took some pictures of an old amusement park in Easton that you may enjoy. http://www.dorneyonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1090
slnewbus

Postby alfundo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:05 pm

I'd love to see DPO become the go to site concerning Dorneys history. I think it would be a great addition to the site.
alfundo

Postby slnewbus » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:35 pm

That's the plan.
slnewbus

Postby sfnitro230 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:16 pm

alfundo wrote:I'd love to see DPO become the go to site concerning Dorneys history. I think it would be a great addition to the site.

In order for that to happen, we need people to send us historical stuff ;).
sfnitro230

Postby dptalon135 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:08 pm

My plan is to have this site include tons of history. But as of right now, we have nothing.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby modernphoenixv2 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:28 am

Have you considered talking to the local chamber or commerce http://www.lehighvalleychamber.org/mainmenu.aspx or the Lehigh County Hisotrical Society- http://www.lchs.museum/ I know the latter has a ton of pictures and info that you could use. Even the local library, which has microfiche archives of local papers will give you all articles written about Dorney since it was founded.
modernphoenixv2

Re: The History Section of the Site

Postby pibull63 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:15 pm

[i]does anybody remember the swimming pool, that was back along the zepher? i think hercules coaster was on that site. there was also a zoo back in there too. picnic groves were along the coaster also kiddie rides were back there too. there was a boat ride right at the train terminal in the duck pond. there was miniature golf just before the main entrance before the big parking tower. between the roller coaster and "the inn" yes at one time dorney had a restaurant called the inn and right across the street, yes you could still drive thru the park, was the park office. behind that was castle gardens. around castle gardens was a paddle boat ride, and in that same area at one time was a ride, it looked like a steamboat. it went along dorney park road, down to the end of the lake and went back. i remember the picnic groves between the race track and the flyin' dutchman. you could tell them apart by the color of the roof. they were next to the big sliding board, which was damaged when the wacky shack was burned. i still think that was done on purpose. just my thought. i also remember at the carousel, the old one, indoors. there was a slot car track encased in plexiglass. you would put tokens in the box and you could race one of the slot cars on the track. there were rides called the whip, octopus, tilt-o-whirl, scrambler,pirates cove, journey to the center of the earth,wacky shack, gold mine, bumper cars, indy 500, at that time there was only one roller coaster.and there are others i cant think of right now. but my favorite part of the park was and still is, the hot dog stand, that was in the movie "where angels go". my mother managed that stand for several years. in fact she is the one with her back to the camera when the nun is in front of the stand. my dad also worked at the park for several years. he ran the hot dog stand up at the racetrack.thru the 70's, my brothe and i practically lived at dorney park. we became friends with bobby plarr ( the grandson) and his wife katie. they would take us any where in the park, behind the scenes. my mother also worked at the inn for a while as a bartender. i remember people who were ther at that time. irene, i believe she was the manager of the inn, there was a guy named charlie, i'm not sure but i think he was in park maintenance. rich, he was the coca cola delivery guy, he delivered syrup and carbonation to the soda fountains. there were a bunch of young people who worked at the park, that became friends with my parents. i remember having a picnic at home with all these people. i have a pic some where of this stuff, if i can find it. and right across the walkway from moms hot dog stand was the french fry and cotton candy stand. around the corner to the right was the zephyr train. around the corner to the left was the arcade games. they were along the road that came thru the park. at the end of the arcade games was a walkway across the walkway was the indy 500that was the end. across the street was the scrambler behind that was the whip. next to the scrambler was the paratrooper. ok, my memory is starting to fade, let me think on this and get back to ya. i'll talk to my brother about this, see what he comes up with...........thax for lettin' me stroll down memory lane...........
pibull63

Postby PepsiFan01 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:16 pm

You have some nice memories of the old days of Dorney. Welcome to the site.
PepsiFan01

Postby pibull63 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:40 am

thanks for the welcome. i got ahold of my brother today, and he looked around, and he has some old "stuff " from the park. there are a pair of shot glasses from the inn, a "boombah" ( i think i'm the only one here who knows what that is ), that was owned by bobby plarr, and he gave that to my mom. i was thinking more about this and came up with a few more rides, the ski lift that went overhead and along the zepher, the helicopter ride and the rollercoaster in "kiddie land. that was down along the journey to the center of the earth, back in the back there. there was also a picnic grove back there too. at one time you could bring your own food into the park and set up a picnic in the groves. there was also a bowling alley, where that was located, i dont know, i remember my dad talking about that. you could feed the ducks, and there were hundreds of them. behind the hotdog stand i remember feeding the ducks a ton of hotdog rolls. or you could pay a quarter to the machine and it would give you a hand full of fish food, and throw it to the trout in the pond. i read that the wip is still in operation, is that true?does anyone know? there was miniature golf too, by the entrance to the parking lot across from the coaster, if i repeat some of this stuff, bear with me. i remember going with mom in the winter, before the park opened to clean the hotdog stand so it would be ready to go. she had a friend that worked there with her, named peggy. well thats it for now, add more later.
pibull63

Postby PepsiFan01 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:13 am

Yep, the Whip is still there! :)
PepsiFan01

Postby pibull63 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm

ok, i thought of one more today. the sliding board next to the wackyshack. anyone remember that? and of course my favorite........the race track. of all the things i miss the most of is the track. i spent many saturday nites there as a kid, because my dad managed the hot dog stand at the track. the when i got older i got a spot on one of the wreckers in the infield. that was a thrill when your 13! i am trying to locate anyone with pictures of the track, cars that ran there, anything. i contacted wayne urffer, who took many photos back in the 70's, but got no reply. 3 wides piture vault has a few pix, but of all the people that sat in the stands, and the photographers tha walked thru the pits, and stood in the infield, somebody, somewhere has to have pix. i had all the weekly books from the track, but my 1st wife is enjoying them ( translate as threw in the trash) from 1974 to 1980. i also consession pix of most of the drivers, but they joined the books. if i can get enouph pictures together, i would like start a web site just for the speedway. i'd enjoy it, and i know the fans would too. so anyway, anyone out there have or know of any old track pix,PLEASE LET ME KNOW! ill check back and add more as my memory comes up with more. thanx for readin' hope you get some enjoyment out of my ramblings.....................later
pibull63

Postby angel607 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:34 pm

i love the history of Dorney park. i don't know if anyone on here remembers this but here goes. Dorney had a great ride i forget what it is called? medorite i think. spelling i did is most likely wrong sorry about that. but i remember you would spin in these teacups in the dark and i remember laser lights going around and employees yelling now scream. there was air conditioning in this ride also. if anyone has pictures of this i would love to see it. i remember they took this down years ago and put up a pizza shop.
angel607

Next

Return to Comments, Questions, Suggestions