Stating an opinion for discussion vs whining and complaining

Give us your feedback on Dorney Park Online. Ask any site related questions here as well, including affiliate requests. You do not need to be registered to post in this forum, though any off-topic messages will be immediately removed.

Moderator: dptalon135

Stating an opinion for discussion vs whining and complaining

Postby Steelforceguy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:25 pm

I've noticed lately there are a few people on these forums who seem
to be more interested b!$ching and moaning than stating an opinion for discussion.

There's a big difference between stating your dislike for some thing or sitution and just making a noise to be heard. This is a FORUM, not Guest Relations.

A forum you can explain WHY you think something should be changed, GR is where you go if you expect a business to change their policies.

Downright bashing the park gets nothing accomplished--especially when you don't always know all the facts as to why something is the way it is, or why a decision was made.

Very rarely would a park set/change policy without a reason or concern. When a Thunderhawk train is dispatched at half capacity, and there's a line, there's probably a reason. Why is it the Ferris Wheel is consistently run at 1/4 capacity when there's a line? Why is the heavier adult supposed to sit on the inner/inside seat of the Whip? Why are the seat belts of empty seats at the back of each car on Thunderhawk have to be fastened around the lap bar? Why does the Scramber have a seat belt? Why was that edict made to close the front row of WWL for a while? Why was there a trim break installed at the top of the first drop on Hercules when it wasn't built that way in the first place? Why can't you choose your seat on Laser? Why can't you cram all the people you can possibly fit into a boat at Thunder Creek Mountain?

There's all logical answers for these questions that may or may not be clear, but somebody made the call for a reason.

Calling somebody lazy or management blind makes this forum look foolish to anyone from the park that may or may not read this forum.

If this forum/website is to be taken seriously by all who visit and read, then let's be somewhat mature about it! :D

-SFG
Steelforceguy

Postby slnewbus » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:50 pm

Stating a point the majority of us can agree upon, including current and former park staff is not whining. The fact is that the majority of the points brought up in this forum are valid.

As for the Thunderhawk thing, the chains are installed for a reason and it is valid. The chains are not always used for this reason because some of the workers are lazy, I know this from first hand experience. I worked at that ride. As for all your other points, they are valid. While some of us may not like them, i.e. seatbelts on scrambler, insurance premiums have changed everything. Other things if not in place are a physical impossibility i.e. running the ferris wheel at 1/4 capacity. Because we would be getting a crane to take the people off because the thing would not move, lol.
slnewbus

Postby maeryk » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:41 am

I'd like to know why seat belts were installed on TH, actually, when buzz-bars are the design standard, and the ride spec, and most of the other PTC coasters still run fine with buzz bars.

(Not complaining, just wondering, and not sure _when_ it actually happened)
maeryk

Postby slnewbus » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:17 am

I love the buzz bars too, they work just fine at Knoebels, but it costs 3 fold more to not have the seatbelts because of insurance premiums, and PTC gets upset as well. Knoebel's is rumored to not be able to get ptc products ever again because of the dispute.
slnewbus

Postby maeryk » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:35 am

slnewbus wrote:I love the buzz bars too, they work just fine at Knoebels, but it costs 3 fold more to not have the seatbelts because of insurance premiums, and PTC gets upset as well. Knoebel's is rumored to not be able to get ptc products ever again because of the dispute.

Umm.. yeah.. I've seen plenty of "rumors" over the years.. and surprisingly, most of them are utterly untrue.
maeryk

Postby slnewbus » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:36 am

Yeah I know, lol. Did you hear Steel Force is sinking?
slnewbus

Postby dannerman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:29 pm

Except the one about the PTCs with no seatbelts is true.

The call for the seatbelts was made by PTC - they recalled every train to the factory for rehab, and added seatbelts. Dick Knoebel just said no. As a result, he voids his warranty/support and basically has to get everything after market.
dannerman

Postby Tori_is_neat » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:48 pm

Why was a brake put on Hercules, anyway?
Always wondered that. I loved it before they put that on there.

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Postby maeryk » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:07 am

Tori_is_neat wrote:Why was a brake put on Hercules, anyway?
Always wondered that. I loved it before they put that on there.

So you wouldn't suffer kidney failure before getting off the ride.

It was a badly engineered, and badly built (not so much in it's layout.. that was great.. but materials, bracing, etc, and planning for warping and such), coaster from a relatively novice company, that _DID NOT_ age well.

The first year it was smooth as glass, the drop was ah-freakin-mazing, and the ride was glorious. When I went back 6 years later, it was like riding a compacting machine at a job site.
maeryk

Postby Ron » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:37 pm

maeryk wrote: it was like riding a compacting machine at a job site.

I agree with that comparison. I remember after riding it, and my back and neck hurt, I called the ride HURT ME PLEASE( Hercules).
Ron

Return to Comments, Questions, Suggestions