Locking Topics

Give us your feedback on Dorney Park Online. Ask any site related questions here as well, including affiliate requests. You do not need to be registered to post in this forum, though any off-topic messages will be immediately removed.

Moderator: dptalon135

Locking Topics

Postby DorneyDante » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:51 pm

Time and time again, we find topics locked for no apparent reason. I've never seen a board with such infrequent activity with topics consistently locked. Do we see any correlation here? Maybe people aren't posting because we are always closing discussions. I believe we are locking topics simply because the moderator doesn't agree with what people are posting. humph! I can speak my mind and say Hydra's not a great ride because I simply don't think it is and thats my personal opinion. This is what we are all here to do correct?.....Discuss, this is a messageboard. A normal discussion involving the relationship between Hydra's ride experience and its relationship to Hercules' was ensueing but was mysteriously locked. You'll be losing my participation on this site if I see this happening anymore. Its bad moderating. Don't close a topic just because you don't agree with what people are talking about. Yes, we were on topic.
DorneyDante

Postby geneticfreak » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:02 pm

The way that thread was going, I would have locked it too. I know that people had differences of opinions, but that one was more like a bunch of five year olds going "I know you are, but what am I?"
geneticfreak

Postby alfundo » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:03 pm

i totally agree dante, this site has some awesome potential but the locked threads are a puzzler. i merely stated i couldnt wait to see the history section and i was scolded to look at the date. for the record i did notice the date and posted to show my enthusiasim. and the thread the dante speaks of we were just having a healthy debate and again we were scolded to learn the amusement industry. excuse me dptalon, but this site isnt amusementindustryonline.com it is dorneyonline.com and we were debating dorney. debate....isnt that what makes a forum?
alfundo

Postby DorneyDante » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:20 pm

Thank you alfundo :D At least someone understands what I'm talking about. I looked at the reason why the topic was closed as well and laughed: "learn the amusement industry." Haha, gimme a break.

Geneticfreak, I don't see your point. I even went back and looked at the posts. It was a normal discussion like I'd have on any coaster board. Keep in mind this is a coaster board and kids (I consider anyone under 18 ) do frequently post, so expect to see that kind of behavior and language.
DorneyDante

Postby UdoTch » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:05 pm

Everytime the maturity level of users falls we see locked posts. We also see users asking why their post was locked.

I think I see a correlation.

Some of us were wondering how long is was going to take for threads to start being locked. We're an Adult forum on Dorney Park, NOT a forum where children fight endlessly.

I know this may seem harsh, but this is my opinion. And if some of those posts were backed up with reasons, they wouldn't feel childish - I just don't feel the need to waste my time answering "why (insert ride name)?" when you could have simply sent a PM and done the same thing, and also appear more professional.

-UdoTch (who recently hasn't had much time and thus has found all these zillions of billions of posts quite annoying)
UdoTch

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:47 pm

I don't care if people don't like Hydra. That's their opinion, and they are welcome to it. I get annoyed, however when it constantly turns into "Hydra sucks, I love Hercules!" Hercules is done and gone! We know people miss it, but it's getting quite irritating to have it in my face all the time. Same with the dark rides!

Then it goes off topic. The park isn't going to keep Hercules because a few people liked it and it was a past record breaker. They need to evolve. In the long run, it proved to be a bad ride. It ripped itself to pieces (which is why the trim was added; they didn't add it just to piss you off), and the public as a whole did not like it. Second, parks get what they ask for in a ride. Hydra is what Dorney asked for. They have Talon, and Talon is an intense ride. How do you know they didn't ask for something a little tamer than Talon? Newsflash: The park builds stuff FOR THE PUBLIC AS A WHOLE. They do not care what the small group of fanatics think; they care what the public wants. Hydra filled a gap of a fun-but-not-crazy-intense-looping coaster in the park. It's a fun ride, and YES THE PEOPLE LIKE IT. If you don't like it then don't ride it and quit complaining. We could be like some parks and get nothing, or worse, a Vekoma.

That is where the "learn how the industry works" came in.

You don't have to be 18 to be able to act maturely. In fact, I was 15 when I first made this site. I've seen the maturity level on some other park sites, and it makes it rather a chore and nuisance to read. This is not one of those sites, maturity is required.

Nobody is forcing anyone to stay here. If anyone doesn't like how I run the site, leave; I don't see any of you paying the bill.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby alfundo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:57 am

we'd all like to see more mature posts. i'd like to see more maturity from the admins.

Never? Did you not notice the dates of these posts?

Locked. Maybe if we can learn how the amusement industry works, and how to stay on topic we could try this again sometime.

Nobody is forcing anyone to stay here. If anyone doesn't like how I run the site, leave; I don't see any of you paying the bill.

in my opinion the maturity level in those posts leave alot to be desired as well. but, i'll say it before you do, it's your site and you can do as you like.
when i joined your site last year i thought to myself 'what a great site, only if it had more traffic'. i logged on recently and was pleasantly surprised with the activity. i feel continued censorship will just erode audience.
alfundo

Postby sfnitro230 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:48 am

Our goal is not to censor/lock your posts but it is necessary when you go off-topic, start flaming, etc. as it makes the forums unpleasant and hard to read. Our goal is to have a top notch forum where people can express themselves and have a good time. Those who are mature can control themselves (even when they feel strongly about an idea) and express their thoughts in a manner that is not off-topic or flaming. And about paying the bill, this is a very expensive proposition for dptalon135 and I (we pay for it with our own money and have no ads on the site...) and we plan to keep the forums a place free of flaming and off-topic posts.
sfnitro230

Postby DorneyDante » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:31 pm

alfundo wrote:we'd all like to see more mature posts. i'd like to see more maturity from the admins.

Never? Did you not notice the dates of these posts?

Locked. Maybe if we can learn how the amusement industry works, and how to stay on topic we could try this again sometime.

in my opinion the maturity level in those posts leave alot to be desired as well. but, i'll say it before you do, it's your site and you can do as you like.
when i joined your site last year i thought to myself 'what a great site, only if it had more traffic'. i logged on recently and was pleasantly surprised with the activity. i feel continued censorship will just erode audience.

You rock
DorneyDante

Postby sfnitro230 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:53 pm

This is a warning...this post is turning into a flame/"say the admins are wrong and immature thread." Please get back on topic or this thread will be locked too!
sfnitro230

Postby UdoTch » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:32 pm

To me, it appears we have a differing definition of maturity. I don't feel the need to go into that.

Also, I'm sure the admins would stop "censoring" if you would stay on-topic, and if you want to go off-topic, you can always create a new topic.

Some of us using DPO are professionals, some of us (like dptalon and sfnitro) are just kids that want to be professionals, and finally some are teens who just don't care. When those who don't care get out of hand, the others get annoyed, and when those are want the professional image stand forth, the others get annoyed. We just need to find a happy medium, and from what I'm seeing that IS being offered.
UdoTch

Postby sfnitro230 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:32 am

Thank you UdoTch! dptalon135 and I are trying to make a professional image for this site. This involves what some of you call "censoring" posts (we are not trying to censor...we just delete and lock posts and threads that get out of hand). If you don't like it (as dptalon135 said earlier) we are not forcing you to stay here!
sfnitro230

Postby alfundo » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:46 am

lemme see, dante reinforces what i say and it's compared to flaming, sfnitro reinforces what dptalon posted and thats within the accepted guidlines? hmmmm. yes, silencing is a form of censorship. so whats wrong with a thread that gets a little off topic? naturally any discussion of hydra is going to involve hercules the ride it replaced. it is my opinion the the moderators here rule with a heavy hand. any forum ive been involved with is usually policed by the community before the moderators, after all it is the community of users that make the site, not the owners. when you create a site specific to one amusement park, naturally you will attract members who are fanatical and passionate about their hobby. so with that being said, i guess i'll stop by here in another year and catch up on what the 5 active users have said in the previous year. this is a site about rides and roller coasters, we arent curing cancer here.

Our goal is to have a top notch forum where people can express themselves and have a good time.
alfundo

Postby maeryk » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:35 pm

Alfundo, et. al.. it is their sandbox. We play here by their grace and permission. If they wish to declare you cannot use the word "hercules" here, it is up to them.

Your choice (and mine, and all of ours) is to comply, or leave. I think the "no quote" rule is kind of silly. But I comply.

Maeryk
maeryk

Postby sfnitro230 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:42 pm

alfundo, Dante did not confirm what you quoted in your post. He confirmed that you think the admins should have more maturity, etc. (which isn't proper).

maeryk, our quote rule is no quoting of the previous post.
sfnitro230

Next

Return to Comments, Questions, Suggestions