Help

Give us your feedback on Dorney Park Online. Ask any site related questions here as well, including affiliate requests. You do not need to be registered to post in this forum, though any off-topic messages will be immediately removed.

Moderator: dptalon135

Help

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:12 pm

Hello,
First I want to compliment you on this site and your forums. The site is well done and the forums are very interesting to read.

Second, I love rollercoasters. But in the past three years, I'm finding that when I ride a great coaster like Talon, I get motion sick. I couldn't wait to ride Hydra. I drive past Dorney every day going to work, and watched it's progress as it was being built. First time ride - I got off, feeling dizzy and nauseous. Ended up leaving the park and going to home because I was so sick.

Any suggestions to avoid motion sickness? I want to ride. I really, really want to ride but now I'm fearful. I rode Great Bear at Hershey this past weekend and kept my eyes closed thinking that might help. Nope, got off and was very dizzy and nauseated. I've thought about taking Dramamine but it makes me sleepy.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Postby rollercoaster2 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:21 pm

So what is your question :?:
rollercoaster2

Postby dannerman » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:21 pm

Several things to try:

1. Consider the weather. Heat/Sun has a way of making the best of us faint and nauseous at times. A Cooler, cloudy day will be a lot less taxing. Although I'm a rollercoaster nut, on those hot, humid, sunny days that I can't take more than a dozen laps in a row on Talon.

2. I know this sounds crazy, but try eating before you get on the rides. In particular, sugary candies like Skittles. I've found that personally I tend to get sicker on an empty stomach than on a full stomach. (NOTE: This doesn't include Tacos. :lol: )

3. If #2 doesn't work, or you don't want to try it, get that bag of skittles ready for when you get off the ride. There was a day last summer where I was at the park in sunny weather on an empty stomach, and after getting off the Laser (right after half a dozen Steel Force rides) I felt pretty dizzy and sick. I quickly stuffed bills into that M&M's machine for a way-too-overpriced bag of skittles, and not even 5 minutes later (along with water and shade) I was feeling better than ever, and hopped on Laser 2 more times.

Hope these ideas help you out. I know they help me out when I'm a little under the weather, although YMMV.
dannerman

Postby UdoTch » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:52 pm

Sometimes Coke is good for a funny stomach too. Of course, Pepsi doesn't work for me so I'm screwed when i'm at a Pepsi Park.
UdoTch

Postby DorneyDante » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:58 pm

Try some dramamine if you suffer from motion sickness.
DorneyDante

Postby dannerman » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:07 pm

Guest said that dramamine makes him/her sleepy, and was trying for other alternatives.
dannerman

Postby Bailey » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:34 pm

Hi,
I signed on as a guest to ask the question about motion sickness. I want to thank those of you who wrote back with suggestions. I will try them out the next time I'm at Dorney. I only rode Hydra once, the weekend after it opened and I want to ride it again before the park closes for the year but I've been fearful of getting sick.

And, yes, Dramamine does make me sleepy and that's why I've not taken it.

Thanks again. This is a great website.
Bailey

Postby dannerman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:20 pm

You're welcome! That's what we're here for.

You'll have to tell me if my ideas work for you (especially the skittles one... people call me crazy when I feel sick and chow down on skittles :lol: )
dannerman

Postby maeryk » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:53 am

if you wear glasses, take em off before you ride. I found my old prescription was making me REALLY sick on rides and I finally had to ride without em to realize thats what it was.

maeryk
maeryk

Help

Postby Bailey » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:34 pm

I wear contact lens. I probably would not want to take them out. I'm a registered nurse and I did some research on motion sickness to see if I could figure out how to stop it without resorting to medication. Some of your suggestions were listed in the literature - eating before riding, eating carbohydrates, keeping well hydrated. I figured I would go right to the source though, and ask regular roller coaster riders what they do to prevent motion sickness. That's why I posted on here.

I get sick on Talon - it's the last drop that always does me in. And when I got off the Hydra, at first I was just dizzy, and then the nausea set in. The first time I got sick from a coaster ride was in Orlando on the Dueling Dragons coaster at Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios. I had been riding Talon without a problem up to that point. On that day, I blamed it on the heat (it was in the 90's) and being tired. I don't get sick on Steel Force or Thunderhawk. I was at Hershey over Labor Day and the Comet, Lightening Racer and Wildcat didn't bother me but the Great Bear (which is nowhere near as wild as Talon) did me in.

I appreciate all your suggestions. If I ever find a cure, maybe we'll all be famous!
Bailey

Postby dannerman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:36 pm

Well, I'd personally recommend taking glasses off on rollercoasters regardless.. of course then again I'm bad with losing things, so I don't need any more help from the rides. :)
dannerman

Postby FutureMan » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:41 pm

Is it going upside down? All the coasters you mentioned that you get sick on have inversions on them. All the other ones don't have inversions and you don't get sick. Could that be it?
FutureMan

Postby UdoTch » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:07 pm

If you were once riding Talon without getting sick, couldn't it mean that something within you changed? Perhaps you should go visit a doc. for this?

(i have absolutley noooooooo medical knowledge and you apparently do so you might know better then I)
UdoTch

Postby maeryk » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:31 am

If its the last drop on Talon that did it.. thats a floatover.. it could be an inner ear thing.. you could have a sinus thing going on (or had one) that is causing your eustachian tubes to not equalize properly.. leaving them sloshing around after you get off.. which causes disorientation, because your ears THINK you are still moving, but your brain knows damn well you are on dry solid ground.

Maeryk
maeryk

Re: Help

Postby Ron » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:41 pm

It is an inner ear thing called Vertigo. I had the same problem, I could ride Talon when it first opened, but now I can't because of Vertigo. I have pills for this, but they make me real sleepy.

I took one pill before I got to the park, and rode Talon and Hydra with no problem, but when I got home I couldn't stay awake. It might be just old age for me! :)

Ron
Ron

Next

Return to Comments, Questions, Suggestions