Top spin does 107 flips

Chat about whatever is on your mind! All general discussions non-park related should go here, including site ads.

Moderator: dptalon135

Top spin does 107 flips

Postby nobrakes07 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:07 am

now this is what I call beserk mode!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNYyTRRzmxA
nobrakes07

Postby Yoshi » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:43 pm

No way in heck I would ride that. I don't even want to try Hangtime because it looks like too much for me and that does what, 2 or 3 flips?
Yoshi

Postby cf4444 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:54 am

I think Hang Time will do about 5 or 6. Last time I was on it we got stuck upside down for a few seconds because the ride stoped for some weird reason.
cf4444

Postby MozzMarr86 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:02 pm

I know it's going to be difficult to refute your claim since it happened to you, so I'm just going to ask you to elaborate what you mean by you being "stuck upside down".

The reason I ask is because Hang Time was one of my rides this season, so I know a lot about it. I also know that there's no way for it to get stuck upside down.

Stuck, yes. Jeez I can't even count how many times that's happened to me. But stuck upside down? Well...that can't happen. The motors on the sides of the gondola release to let the ride balance itself right-side up.

Anyhow, I look forward to your explanation.
MozzMarr86

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:08 pm

I seem to recall seeing it stuck upside down at least once before, in past years.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby pc215 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:18 pm

Hangtime is one crazy ass ride. I wouldnt want to get stuck upside down on that thing.
pc215

Postby cf4444 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:15 pm

MozzMarr86 wrote:I know it's going to be difficult to refute your claim since it happened to you, so I'm just going to ask you to elaborate what you mean by you being "stuck upside down".

The reason I ask is because Hang Time was one of my rides this season, so I know a lot about it. I also know that there's no way for it to get stuck upside down.

Stuck, yes. Jeez I can't even count how many times that's happened to me. But stuck upside down? Well...that can't happen. The motors on the sides of the gondola release to let the ride balance itself right-side up.

Anyhow, I look forward to your explanation.

Well, not upside down per-say. It stopped for a few seconds over the pond, (in the inverted position), then we were put back at the loading area and the restraints would not release. Was no major issue as it only lasted around 5 or six minutes. It was in late September, about 3 weeks ago if my dates are right.

However, it was only that one time. I must have ridden it another 6 or 7 times that day with no issues.
cf4444

Postby MozzMarr86 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:16 pm

dptalon135 wrote:I seem to recall seeing it stuck upside down at least once before, in past years.

Negative. You may be thinking about what cf4444 was saying.

And speaking of, I know what you're talking about. You're facing straight down into the pond and the ride stops. It's happened before. It seems to me like that was in the beginning of the day when the ride was still cold, especially since you said you rode it 6 or 7 times after that.

The restraint thing was probably just a matter of there being a larger individual on the ride. It happens once and a while. The restraints won't release as a safety precaution.
MozzMarr86

Postby nobrakes07 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 pm

I got stuck on hangtime before all the way at the top but we werent upside down so it really wasnt that bad
nobrakes07

Postby cf4444 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:08 pm

MozzMarr86 wrote:And speaking of, I know what you're talking about. You're facing straight down into the pond and the ride stops. It's happened before. It seems to me like that was in the beginning of the day when the ride was still cold, especially since you said you rode it 6 or 7 times after that.

Yea it was about 45 minutes into the day. And I can see how that would happen seeing as how the last time I was there was in October the year before and Talon was down for the same reason early in the day.
cf4444

Postby dannerman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:01 pm

Well, the ride is a Huss TopSpin, and the ride was engineered with 3 primary failsafes to prevent that from happening:
1. Arm brakes which require power to disengage
2. Gondola brakes which require power to engage.
3. sensors to detect lack of gear movement

What that means is that if power is lost to the ride, or the ride shuts down for any reason, the arms will lock, so the gondola can't come down and hit anybody/anything that may be where the normal loading position is, and the gondola will swing freely until it eventually stops swinging and comes to an upright stop. In addition, there's a failsafe built in that if the ride detects there is no gear movement for 5 seconds when there should be according to the programming, it will automatically turn off the ride cycle, disengage the gondola brakes, and bring the ride back down to the load position. This is what causes it to stop early in the day - the grease is cold so it's not as lubricated as it will be later, the motors are cold, and the ride usually has less weight (and thus less momentum to keep it going).

The *ONLY* way for it to get stuck "upside down" is if the ride stops mid-cycle while the Gondola is upside down *AND* it happens to be 100% perfectly balanced so it doesn't freely swing one way other the other. The longest I've seen this happen on any topspin at any park was for a little over a minute, after which the equilibrium was broken (perhaps riders wiggling in the seats because they were upside down?).
dannerman

Postby dorneydude » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:53 pm

dude, how many parks to you got and watch for these things to get stuck?

...since you are in the know...why does REVOLUTION fail so many times? It just gets started then stops. Then you have to wait another 10 minutes beofre it gets going again.

Does METEOR ever get stuck upside down? Thats another that is out of order now and then.
dorneydude

Postby dannerman » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:54 pm

Sorry it's been almost 2 months since my last post, but I've been busy lately. November/December in the cell phone industry is busy :lol: ...

To answer your questions.. The source of Revolution's problems are in that it was the first of its kind to swing 120 degrees. If you look at the Claw at Hersheypark, it's the "same thing" but only swings to 90 degrees. When they made the switch to 120 degrees, they either didn't re-engineer it at all (other than changing the dial to 120 degrees) or they didn't re-engineer it enough. From what I've heard, it was the first possibility, but I haven't been able to confirm that 100%

As for Meteor (or Hawk64 as Zamperla likes to call it) that's another one where there are failsafes to prevent it from getting stuck upside down. In the event of an estop or power outage, the hydraulics will slowly bring the ride down to a normal upright position.
dannerman

Return to Chatterbox