MTV should show more music videos at reasonable hours...

Chat about whatever is on your mind! All general discussions non-park related should go here, including site ads.

Moderator: dptalon135

Do you think MTV needs to show more music videos?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 6

MTV should show more music videos at reasonable hours...

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:15 pm

Who wants to be up in the morning anyways, before 8:00am? On top of that, half the nights they don't show any videos at all.

The point is, there are way too many shows on now. Some people can get a channel called MTV Hits, that just plays videos all day. I think it's called MTV because it stands for Music Television, not tv shows. Some are ok, but it's really gotten ridicolous.

I would like to see a video showing from at least 2:00pm-10:00pm, then some shows, and then more videos from 4:00am-10:00am.

Who agrees? I mean, I don't care if you don't like rap, rock, pop, or whatever kind of music, it doesn't matter. I just don't understand why people who actually want to go to sleep at least 6 hours before school can't watch any videos.
Seiko Zoorhess

Postby UdoTch » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:30 pm

HA. Wishful thinking to all that.

They will NEVER go back to having Music Video's all the time. Music Video's don't make them any money, and MTV brings in loads of money for Viacom.

Also...your desires have been heard by certain companies who have made cable channels that are mostly Music Videos, only thing is that they are not a household name yet. Fuse (i think) is such a channel.
UdoTch

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:36 pm

Its still ridicolous. Its called Music Televison for god sakes.

Fuse does play more videos than any other music channel, but channels like this are not available for people who's parents are cheap and only them channels 2-99, when for $20.00 more they can get over 300 channels. It really annoys me.

Whenever I get old enough to support myself, I will be sure to get what my father has (parents divorced, I live with my mother), a package that gives you MTV, MTV2, MTV Hits (The Good One that plays videos all the time), VH1, VH12, and Fuse.

How do bands expect to get popularity if only people with insomia can watch their videos on TV?
Seiko Zoorhess

Postby UdoTch » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:08 pm

The radio? The Internet? The CD Store?

The possibilities for them are endless.
UdoTch

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:17 pm

Still, watching videos on TV helps a lot. If these days singles for songs didn't cost so much (most have videos on them), I would get them, but $12.00 for one song is retarded. Its still retarded that they repeat the same shows all day long, every day, and no videos.

Edit: Im not the talkative type, meaning I do not have a whole lot of friends, but none of them watch MTV, ever. Also, I only buy a cd from a group if I see the video, because I don't listen to the radio, and I don't take suggestions, because people have different tastes in music.
Seiko Zoorhess

Postby UdoTch » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:32 am

The reason few of you watch it is because your aren't the target audience.

The age range of most people on MTV is 19-24. That's college aged, not high school aged. I mean, do any of you teens wait until 10pm to turn the TV on? Or is it on the WB all night?

okay..so i'm basicially stereotyping myself...but aren't most High-Schooler's in bed by 12 most of the time? Versus 2/3am?

Okay...i feel like i'm beating a dead horse...
UdoTch

Postby ouch » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:29 pm

How about - JUST DON"T WATCH TV. I have't watched a TV show (other than sports games) in OVER 10 years. It's stupid, lame, and there are so many things that you could be doing with your time. MTV used to be great when i was little. the original music they played was great, now it's all gone to crap. I don't want to watch their dumb crap. I do watch music videos - i go to launch.com and watch any video I want for free. Don't need to pay for that. There is no way that i would get a special cable package to get all of the music channels - when i have my own place, i'm not getting cable at all. Waste of money.

Bands DO NOT expect to get popular through MTV. A lot of bands that make it to MTV are already considered sell outs. Maybe this is because I perfer to listen to mainly indie rock, but i'll listen to anything - and most of what MTV plays is crap. I see it on in our living room sometimes, or hear it when my sister has it on. I don't want to listen to 99.9 percent of the stuff I've heard on MTV. It's all mainstream music that pretty much sounds completely the same and is very unoriginal. the good music is the stuff that isn't being played on mtv. A lot of the music that i listen to is from france, japan, scotland, ireland, etc... It's amazing how cultured our society is. we can only listen to what we hear on the television

part of music is about Marketing. marketing uses all sorts of things - magazines, news papers, billboards, the internet, tv, etc. but you know what the best part is, why most people i know buy music? Word of mouth. I hear from a friend that one band is great, and i'll go and buy their album, without ever hearing it. I have about 300 cd's and I love them all. I'm not going to waste my time sitting at the tv to find out if i like a band. i'm going to get out, go to some concerts, see if i like what i hear, or trust my friends judgement who does the same thing.

If you want to hear more music, listen to the radio. at least then you can pick one genre of music and it's constantly on all day - no tv shows. sure there are commercials, and you cant see what the people look like but that's part of being a musician. ever year the sogn video killed the radio star... yeah... I don't think watching video's on TV heps at all. There has been some great videos, primarily by indie acts - many of the mainstream videos contain naked girls and various other things - they all have the same point.

and to udo - my 16 year old sister is up till 2/3 am every night. MTV is not targeting towards college aged people - most college aged people DO NOT watch MTV. well, actually, to an extent it's targeted towards college aged kids, but mainly it's the high school kids who think that the best music is what they hear on TV. i mean, im assuming youre a high school kid, and you watch it...
ouch

Postby UdoTch » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:22 pm

I never watched it in HS. But I do all the time at college.. Well...the only show i actively watch is 'The Real World' but its on most of the time. And the main reason few college student watch TV would be because they're out getting wasted - which isn't my fav. thing to do.

And your right about bands not expected to get known through MTV. MTV will only cover you if its mass audience wants to see you.

And the reason that i'll argue that MTV targets towards college students is because if the target audience was publicly high-schoolers they'd run into issues legally. Especially with their reality shows, (ie Real World and their 'drinking') Sure they may be targeting high-schoolers but they will NEVER admit it because of all the lawsuits that might follow.
UdoTch

yeah

Postby ouch » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:02 pm

exactly. they have to say they are targetting the college aged kids, but come on.. the people listening to ashlee simpson or aaron carter whatever their names are.. aren't college kids. (if they are, i have to seriously question their liking of music :) )
ouch

Postby UdoTch » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:25 pm

You think the age group between 12-18 can make a musician successful? They need people like me (well not me because the last time i brought at CD was 2/3 Years ago) who like all types of music and don't give a crap who sings it as long as it sounds good!
UdoTch

yeah

Postby ouch » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:39 pm

people in that age group can make a musician successful.

example: hanson.
ouch

Postby UdoTch » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:46 pm

And on that note...I take myself out of this discussion...

(but i would just like to say that I NEVER was into them...)
UdoTch

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:49 pm

Im not necessarily saying that bands wouldn't get popular if there wasn't an MTV. It just doesn't make any sense its called Music Television, but you once again have to have an insomia problem to watch them.

As far as watching videos on Launch, the screen is like 4x4 inches if that, and it's blurely. Is it so much to ask. really?

Even if this obviously isn't true for everybody, most bands I like, I would have never have known them if it wasn't for MTV's Videos. I am very open minded when it comes to music, I like pretty much everything unless it's really heavy rap or really heavy metal.

But as far as light rap, rock (all kinds), pop, jazz, R&B, Metal, (boy or a girl band, don't care) you name it, I like it as long as the band is at least decent.

I remember like six years ago when I was still in seventh grade and kids there talked about watching videos on MTV. For god sakes, BET shows more videos than MTV, and it's not focussed arond most of the world at all. If I were a singer, I would be pissed at MTV.

I love to watch music videos, but what the hell? I mean, MTV, Music Television, Videos, Live Preformances, TRL, thats it. TV shows should be an entirely different channel.
Seiko Zoorhess

Postby dannerman » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:08 pm

One thing to note:

I haven't watched it in a pretty long time, but is MTV still even known as 'Music Television', or have they dropped it and only go by 'MTV'?

The reason I ask is because of branding. In the beginning, they were focused on music, and hence the name 'MTV' came about as a shortened version of the network name, Music Television. Since then, the brand 'MTV' has obviously taken off like a rocket in popularity. They're "mission" or "objective" or whatever may no longer be music. At least not a focus. However, if they dropped the name 'MTV' they would lose popularity because of the loss of the brand. They can charge more for advertising, cable fees, etc. because of the brand. I doubt 'Pop Culture TV' would have quite a ring to it, even though that seems to be their most recent focus.
dannerman

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:26 pm

I don't know, but it should just be MTV, because it's obviously not Music Television anymore. All I really want is that they play some videos at reasonable hours.

Also, the channel MTV hits should be available to everybody, not just whoever has cablevision, because people with comcast cannot get it.
Seiko Zoorhess

Next

Return to Chatterbox