MTV should show more music videos at reasonable hours...

Chat about whatever is on your mind! All general discussions non-park related should go here, including site ads.

Moderator: dptalon135

Do you think MTV needs to show more music videos?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 6

Postby dannerman » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:50 pm

It is available to everybody - a lot of cable providers, however, don't believe the demand is worth the extra cost (which would need to get passed on to subscribers).

Network television (NBC, CBS, etc.) is free because of commercial advertisements. "Cable Channels" (Disney, Cartoon Network, MTV, etc.) also get money from advertising, but not as much as the network stations, so they also charge money from the cable providers for the right to carry their unique-content channel. This cost, in turn, gets passed on to the consumer. This is why most "regular" cable companies will offer various tiers of pricing.. ranging from only the network channels (ensures better reception than just from the TV waves in the air) to all the "cable channels", which is typically arond $25-$50/month. The more channel choices, the more expensive it is, because of the fees associated with those extra channels.

Add in the technical issues about the frequency bands on a standard coaxial cable system, and it becomes more of a nightmare. With the explosion of specialty-content channels available, cable companies need to pick and choose which ones to carry, and they want to ensure a diverse mix available that will satisfy as many customers as possible.

For example, 3 years ago at Villanova there was a widespread request to start carrying BET on the campus cable system. Students ignorantly expected them to just add the channel. Instead, they made a campus-wide vote on which channel to get rid of in order to cover the costs associated with needing to pay for the new channel. In the end, an overwhelming majority decided they didn't want to get rid of MTV or the on-campus movie channel to get BET. But the point remains.. cable channels cost money, and typically speaking, in order to add a channel you have to drop another one. There's most likely channels you could care less about, but step back and view it from the point of view of the company - all channel changes have to be made across the board, and they want a diverse selection for everybody.

Digital Cable, on the other hand, doesn't have as many drawbacks or limitations (nor does satellite) and people already expect to be paying more for the service in the first place since it has all the channels.
dannerman

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:43 pm

Last night was the first time in a while I actually saw them play videos for almost 5 hours straight from about 3:30am-8:00am (played hookey from school). If their not going to show videos at reasonable hours, it should just be cancelled. You shouldn't have to pay for extra MTV channels because the regular one s-u-c-k-s.

Personally, except for like News12, WB11, VH1, and the disney channel, I would gladly get rid of the rest of the channels and replace all of them with MTV Channels.

But seriously, there's plenty of channels that can go...
Seiko Zoorhess

Postby UdoTch » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:26 am

Maybe those Channels can go for you, but the cable company doesn't watn to create 'cliches' they want their cable lineup to apply to as many people as they can!
UdoTch

dudeeeee

Postby ouch » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:18 am

just because you don't like the other channels doesn't mean that everybody else doesnt... just because you (for some unknown reason) like mtv doesnt mean that everyone else does.. that's why theres a bunch of channels, something for everyone. i have no intention of getting cable television once i'm done school.. yeahhhh.....
ouch

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:25 am

Heh. I was really just joking about getting rid of all other channels..

Like I care, Im not paying for them. :lol:

Ive decided that once every month I am going to record MTV AFter Hours from 3:30am to 8:00am, so then I can actually watch them at more reasonable hours. Sound like a good idea?

Really though, I think we can all agree their are at least five unneccessary channels we all have and never have watched once...
Seiko Zoorhess

yeah

Postby ouch » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:22 am

I can agree with getting rid of all of the channels, because I don't watch them. I watch football. I can watch that at a sports bar on a nice projection TV. Don't need to pay for cable for that. I've caught glimpses of MTV and whatnot on TVs around campus, but I haven't felt any reason to watch anything on them, as TV has gone to crap. I really don't think I've watched a TV show in ten years. I did get the Family Guy Seasons 1,2,3 DVD's for christmas - without ever seeing the show. I heard it was funny, so I put them on my list. I've watched some of it, and it's great. I'm not about to sit at my TV every night from 9-930 or whenever it's on, just to watch it though. I will just watch the DVD's when i have a little bit of free time throughout my week... I'm all for telling kids to get off their butts and go play.. instead of watching TV.
ouch

Postby UdoTch » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:41 am

hmmmm....Anyway you could copy those DVD's of Family Guy for me? ;-)
UdoTch

Re: yeah

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:18 pm

ouch wrote:I can agree with getting rid of all of the channels, because I don't watch them. I watch football. I can watch that at a sports bar on a nice projection TV. Don't need to pay for cable for that. I've caught glimpses of MTV and whatnot on TVs around campus, but I haven't felt any reason to watch anything on them, as TV has gone to crap. I really don't think I've watched a TV show in ten years. I did get the Family Guy Seasons 1,2,3 DVD's for christmas - without ever seeing the show. I heard it was funny, so I put them on my list. I've watched some of it, and it's great. I'm not about to sit at my TV every night from 9-930 or whenever it's on, just to watch it though. I will just watch the DVD's when i have a little bit of free time throughout my week... I'm all for telling kids to get off their butts and go play.. instead of watching TV.

I never watch TV either. Its just for that time when I am either bored, or want to hear some music, but of course, that doesn't work out. I do the same thing with shows; I only watch the show Friends about twice before purchasing seasons 1-8 and the finale online. Personally being 15 I really do not go outside much (its not because im gothic), mainly because I get sick way too easily. I have my computer, CD player, movies, and video games, and it doesn't bother me. If I had the choice I would spend the rest of my life doing this while being a writer and an author at the same time.

It would only take two things to make this perfect; More Videos on MTV, no school, and no annoying parents.
Seiko Zoorhess

well

Postby ouch » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:47 pm

if you want to hear some music while bored just put in a cd :P
ouch

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:16 pm

Of course. I am on my computer at least 6 hours a day, and 5 hours of that is nonstop playing music, not to mention another 40 minutes with a new cd (I buy like 5 new ones every two weeks) when i actually decide to lay down and attempt to fall asleep. I have horrible insomia problems. This is why in the future Im doing a stay at home job.
Seiko Zoorhess

Postby UdoTch » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:04 pm

hmmm...You know they can treat insomnia hun?
UdoTch

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:34 pm

Oh yeah, of course. I am not kidding around at all when I say that medication in any field never works for me.

I am completly immune to all medications, whether used to treat colds, or insomia. Im stuck with it for a long time as I see it, until maybe something new comes around.

This is how I got into watching Videos on MTV in the first place. I have to do something from 4:00am to 6:00am when I can actually fall asleep. I am just talking about normal people really, not so much me at all.
Seiko Zoorhess

Postby UdoTch » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:01 am

I have insomnia tonight too, If my roommate wasn't sleep i'd probably join you in watching TV until I fell asleep.

Silly dorm rooms. :-\
UdoTch

Postby Seiko Zoorhess » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:45 pm

I got to fall alseep at 6:00am last night. That's ok, because I got some work done (personal things). And I don't have any school today, so that's great. Around 4:30am I ended up turning on MTV to watch Videos.

This topic really isn't about me. Its about everyone else, because I am up long enough every day to watch the videos for at least an hour, whether it's on MTV or VH1.
Seiko Zoorhess

Previous

Return to Chatterbox