Movie filmed

Chat about whatever is on your mind! All general discussions non-park related should go here, including site ads.

Moderator: dptalon135

Movie filmed

Postby KoasterKid61 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:39 pm

I heard there was a movie filmed in PA around here and even in Dorney. One of my friends was actually in it. Does anybody know the name of this movie?
KoasterKid61

Postby dorneygal » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:04 pm

You are correct there was a movie filmed in Allentown and in Dorney Park. The movie is called Rounding First. I dont know how much info I am allowed to say about it here but I will link you to the offical website...
http://www.roundingfirstmovie.com

here is an article from the morning call discussing shooting around Allentown...
http://www.mcall.com/all-roundingfirst-0715.story

If you look around the Rounding First website there is alot of info about the movie and filming!!!
dorneygal

Postby insaneaboutdorney » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:12 am

Was this movie released? If it was released, how old is it? Where can you find it?
insaneaboutdorney

Postby UdoTch » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:31 am

It was just filmed this summer. Release date is likely still unknown. It typically takes a movie 2-4 years to go from Pre-Production to Released.

My Guess is that it will be released sometime in the upcoming summer/fall (of 2005)

Considering Trailers have not been posted on IMDB, don't get your panties in a knot quite yet... According to the movies official website, they are well into the phase of post-production.

Seee...that wasn't all that hard to do. Of course I am the Communications Media major...

EDIT: THe Official site has a trailer up, and in it you can clearly see 1) Enterprise 2) Yocco's (if you know its exterior decor) and 3) Shankweilers..and I'm certain that there's more that I didn't see!
UdoTch

Postby dannerman » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:15 am

I haven't seen any trailers for it in theaters yet (although I haven't gone in 2 weeks). Planning on a movie late monday night, so perhaps I'll see something there.

My guess would be more likely around April/May 2006 instead. From what I understand about the storyline, it's essentially a "baseball movie", and there's scenes in a "fair" (which is really Dorney :wink: ). Those types of movies generally come out in spring, when the baseball/amusement park season is just beginning.
dannerman

Postby UdoTch » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:23 am

Well if your guessing Spring 2006 then don't look for any trailers in theatre's until December of 2005, and that's if they are promoting it earlier. Trailers tend to be released 3-4 months before the movies (right about the time that official release dates are made official).
UdoTch

Postby dannerman » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:35 am

Well, the website says they're "well underway" in final edits, so perhaps it's more like April/May of 2005?

It looks like an indie film, which means they won't have the big budgets of the labels, and I wouldn't imagine that trailer spots are cheap, so it's possible that they'll wait until March/April for an April/May release.. save on money, and wait until it's close to release to try and entice moviegoers to want to see it without giving them time to forget about the movie if they don't frequent the theater.
dannerman

indie

Postby ouch » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:39 pm

it IS an indie film - which means you may not see it in theaters at all. (or for a very very brief time)
ouch

Postby UdoTch » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:55 pm

Of course, some Indies are also in theatres for a very long time.... Look at 'Passion of the Christ' and 'Fahrenheit 9/11.'

And I'm sure that those of you in the allentown area will see the movies advertised...but not those of us who go to school 4 hours away.
UdoTch

here

Postby ouch » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:57 pm

This is what it says online

Rounding First (2005)
Director: Jim Fleigner
Cast: John Michael Bolger, Matthew Borish, Michael Dean, Aaron Fiore, Soren Fulton, Sam Semenza
Release: Coming Soon to a Film Festival Near You
Synopsis: Twelve-year olds Joe, Tiger and Chris break out of Little League baseball camp to secretly trail Joe’s parents, who have lied to Joe about a mysterious trip they’re taking. The boys must piece together clues, avoid their parents, dodge the police, trust a stranger – and not destroy their friendships in the process – during an adventurous road trip in their last summer before junior high. In the spirit of Stand By Me, Rounding First is a coming-of-age dramedy set in the summer of 1980.
ouch

Postby rwk » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:09 am

Set in the summer of 1980? Ha, ha Talon, SF etc. didn't exist in 1980. Also Allentown and Dorneyville has changed alot since 1980, like Laneco's gone, all the new restaurants and Cedar Point shopping center, the Comfort Suites/Holiday Inn, and Wingate Inn, none of that stuff existed in 1980. So it will be weird for people who know Allentown and grew up here to see a movie filmed in the present day but set in the year of 1980.
rwk

Postby maeryk » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:53 pm

Not as hard as you think. hairspray was filmed there, and was 20 years earlier than the "time" it was actually filmed.

With careful shot framing, they could get great shots of The Whip, Monster, Thunderhawk, etc.. with no "modern" stuff in the way.. it just takes a lot of good framing and directing.

Same with exterior shots in the LV.. theres more than enough buildings and such around that havent changed one bit since the 80s.. not to mention, most people don't even realize that what usually looks like city A isnt. A lot of movies are shot in Toronto or Vancouver, and end up being about Philly, or NYC, or LA, etc.

Maeryk
maeryk

Postby rwk » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:15 pm

I have a movie with a ten minute section filmed at Dorney in 1967. Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows. It shows Journey to the Center of the Earth, the exterior front, and the boat splashing down the chute, the Scrambler, the Pirate's Cove dark ride (AKA Bucket O' Blood), the Chanticleer, Alfundo's head on the coaster building, a Skydiver, and a part of the Whacky Shack which burned in 1973.
rwk

Postby dannerman » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:48 pm

It doesn't matter where things are filmed - all that matters is that the props and set are done right to make it look like the setting of the movie. For example, an 80s park - dress everyone in clothes from the 80s, and put sets up to make it look different. According to the movie website, this is supposed to take place at a fair when they re-glue tickets to steal rides. Dorney's not a fair, and doesn't use tickets. But, what's to stop them from creating a "ticket booth" that looks like the style of an 80s fair ticket booth? Nothing. It doesn't exist in Dorney, but they can put it there while they were filming.

Another point.. I highly doubt they did the filming during the day. I think it'd be too much of a liability with random guests being caught on camera and privacy issues. It says on the park tickets that Dorney is allowed to capture their pictures, and I've seen signs on a couple days saying that Dorney is shooting footage for commercials in the park. However I don't think that would apply to a 3rd-party movie maker, though.
dannerman

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:02 pm

I recall reading that the shooting at Dorney was done late at night. In the movie, the kids were in the park after hours and consequently get caught by security.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chatterbox