Schools in the Area

Chat about whatever is on your mind! All general discussions non-park related should go here, including site ads.

Moderator: dptalon135

Schools in the Area

Postby CJStephens15 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:03 pm

Hey. My family and I are moving to the Quakertown area next summer and I was wondering if any of you guys have some info on the schools. I know 2 ones we were looking at were quakertown school district and upper perkeomen (sp?) school district. If anyone could give me some info on schools it would be greatly appreciated.

CJStephens15
CJStephens15

Postby maeryk » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:40 pm

Okay.. I went to Upper Perk. My personal opinion? Avoid it like the plague. Unless you are a sports player, it's a crap school. Yes, blue ribbon, yadda yadda.. however having dealt with it personally, both with my son, and myself, they are "blue ribbon" only in that they will pass just about anyone through the system who stays out of trouble. From an educational standpoint, they suck, ESPECIALLY when dealing with kids with learning disabilities and IEP issues.

Quakertown is a so-so school district from what I hear. Not great, but not awful either.

The other one out that way (coopersburg) is Southern Lehigh.. which is apparently not as bad a school now as it was when I went there!

Hope that helps a bit.. if you have any more detailed questions, feel free to ask.

Maeryk
maeryk

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:08 pm

A little bit further down from there (opposite direction as Dorney) is Pennridge and Souderton. Don't know about Pennridge, but I go to Souderton, which I feel has been good educationally. The secondary schools anyway, I don't know how the elementary schools are... moved here after those years.

I know there are some other members on here from the schools in these areas, so if you have any specific questions for any of them, feel free to ask. I'm going to ask that members send answers to any specific questions via private messages, however.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby dannerman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:21 pm

One thing I've noticed about schools in this area is that everyone will say "My school is the worst because [insert reason here]".

I've heard that from people in the Allentown School District, Bethlehem, Emaus, Salisbury, Quakertown, Upper Perk, anything with "Lehigh" in it (Nothern, Southern, Southwestern, etc.) Actually, come to think of it, I can't think of any public schools that any of my friends go/used to go to that I haven't heard those comments.
dannerman

Postby RCTForce » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:42 am

Pennridge, Souderton, and North Penn are all great school districts. I was in North Penn's and they have done wonderful things for me.
RCTForce

Postby UdoTch » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:59 am

Northwestern Lehigh is a good school District. And the past few years has been the Lehigh Valley's best scoring school's on those stupid state tests. It might be a good idea for you to find the reports in The Morning Call.

BTW, NWLSD is very sports oriented at the moment, so if your youngster's are into theatre/music you might have some issues. Of course, that is starting to change with the new school administrator dude, so you never really know.
UdoTch

Postby CJStephens15 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:53 pm

UdoTch wrote:It might be a good idea for you to find the reports in The Morning Call

Yeah I picked up one of those, it gave a little helpful info.

Thanks guys this is really helping. 1 thing though is that The 3 schools that I most likely will be going to are upper perk, southern lehigh, and quakertown. All the others are pretty much out of the question.
CJStephens15

Postby maeryk » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:51 am

Well, I dont;t know exactly what you are looking at getting out of your education..

If you play sports.. UP is the place for you. I think they field a team in EVERY possible sport, they have an indoor pool at the HS, and as long as there are no learning/behavioral issues, it's not a terrible school. I would think you might even be able to get a decent college-prep track in that school.

Quakertown is a pretty good school, from everyone I know who went, and those who have kids there that I know. They have put a _lot_ of money into their buildings and grounds in the last several years.

It has been many moons since I have been at SoLeHi.. it's an "eh" school.. decent number of sports teams, half decent arts classes, and a decent tech-ed if you want to go that way.. but again.. not so sure on the "college prep" side of things.

There _IS_ one hell of a good "private" school in the area.. the Perkiomen Prep School.. it's about a mile from Upper Perk's main building.. if you are looking for a college-prep "genius" education.. that is definately the place.

I'm down on UP simply because A) I went there, and B) I have dealt with them extensively with my learning-disabled 12 yr old son, and know exactly how much they promise to your face to do everything for the child, then drag their feet and "lose" paperwork, inconveniently schedule meetings, etc. You very nearly have to bring a lawyer with you at that school if you actually want anything to get accomplished!

School district was actually one of the reasons we chose the house we bought three months ago.. (that, and it's 10 minutes from Dorney! Whoooa!)

Maeryk
maeryk

Postby CJStephens15 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:11 pm

Well It's pretty much decided now. We found a devolupment in quakertown and we are signing the contract thing on staursay. I'm going to be in 8th grade when we move there next year so i'll be going to millford middle school and I have a brother who will be in 5th next year and he'll be at quakertown elementrary. Thanks guys for all your help!

Oh yeah and the house will be 25 minuets from dorney Yaaa :D
CJStephens15

Postby KoasterKid61 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:30 am

east penn school district all the way!

yeah i got to lower macungie middle school now...next year im going to be a freshman at emmaus high school

go hornets...hehe
KoasterKid61

Postby slnewbus » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:45 pm

maeryk wrote:The other one out that way (coopersburg) is Southern Lehigh.. which is apparently not as bad a school now as it was when I went there!

Maeryk

I went to Southern Lehigh freshman year and it was terrible. I go to Notre Dame Green Pond now and it is pretty good. The teachers are good. The place is like a community. I like it alot. GO CRUSADERS!!!!!
slnewbus

Postby maeryk » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:38 am

yeah i got to lower macungie middle school now...next year im going to be a freshman at emmaus high school

So does my son.. good LORD I'm old...

Maeryk
maeryk

Postby rollercoaster2 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:05 am

PARKLAND ROCKS
I go to Parkland High School i'm a Freshman
Parkland challenges you
!
rollercoaster2

Postby dannerman » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:07 pm

While we're giving shout outs to our high schools, I can't help but say...

D-I-E-R-U-F-F !

[echo:]
H-U-S-K-I-E-S !
dannerman

Postby FutureMan » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:36 pm

I am a whitehall white boy and we have a train at dorney named after us so beat that! :lol:
FutureMan

Next

Return to Chatterbox