Whats the wierdest thing that ever happend to you at Dorney

Chat about whatever is on your mind! All general discussions non-park related should go here, including site ads.

Moderator: dptalon135

Whats the wierdest thing that ever happend to you at Dorney

Postby nobrakes07 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:06 pm

Once My friends were putting their stuff in the lockers by talon and I was standing by the fence looking at talon and as the train went by the last banked turn a bag of keys flew off the train and got stuck in the little square openings on the fence and the thing was that if the squares were any bigger the bag would of hit me in the face :shock:
nobrakes07

Postby FutureMan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:47 pm

I work at Dorney and we get the best question... like..
1. Do you work here?
2. How much does this cost? (there is a big bold sign...)
3. Where are the bathrooms? (right behind you)
4. Do you aircondition the park? (I had nothing to say to that person)
:lol:
Those are just my favorites..
FutureMan

Postby Yoshi » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:38 pm

I hate being asked "Do you work here?." Where I work, everyone wears shirts with the store's name on it and yet that happens at least 2 - 3 times as week. I always want to reply, "No, I'm just moving this box of merchandise for fun"

Anyway, here is the weirdest thing that has happened to me:
http://www.dorneyonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1009
Yoshi

Postby jeffpiatt » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:07 pm

FutureMan wrote:I work at Dorney and we get the best question... like..
1. Do you work here?
2. How much does this cost? (there is a big bold sign...)
3. Where are the bathrooms? (right behind you)
4. Do you aircondition the park? (I had nothing to say to that person)
:lol:
Those are just my favorites..

some new ones
5. does the (zephyr,Apollo,...)go upside down?
6. does the zephyr train go to (WWK, main gate)?
7 one guest told me that they thought there little children did not count as "riders" ( I held back a lot there)
8.where is steel force? (asked when the go in the employee gate towards cash control) yes, i have stopped lost of people this year walking in to the staff plaza thinking it was the sf entrance.
9. a ton of things i see go on in the snoopy bounce including one 8 year old who threatened my life and parents going after me over line jumpers it was more of an mob then an line. don't ask about the swan boats that is just as hard to run too many variables to control.
jeffpiatt

Postby Jiggy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:41 pm

Back when I was a young operator ('70s into '80s), we used to have a homemade "intelligence" test floating around as a joke. I'm talking of course about the days long before Wildwater and stuff when the park was more like Knoebels. I personally remember 2 things that always cracked me up though:

1. Many times at the Zephyr people asked if it goes upside down and I can't tell you how many times I would answer......"sometimes".

2. When I was operating the Whale Boats, people were affraid that there were Sharks and Pirahnnas in the water from the zoo. I would usually answer...."no but there are whales" and so many idiots actually asked what kind. (little did they know there were some seriously huge water rats in there though, they didn't bother the people, they just snuck in the back corners and hid in the water along the edges).
Jiggy

Postby maeryk » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:55 pm

Weirdest?

Okay.

WAYYYY back in the day, I was there with a friend. We were looking at The Ranger. (That's how back in the day this was).

I said "no farking way am I getting on that thing!" (I had never done an inverting ride before)

Chris (my friend) said "yes you will".

"Like hell" says I.

Chris wanders off.

About three minutes later, a gloved three fingered hand (which belongs to Alfundo) and a gloved five fingered hand (Which belonged to the stunning 5'8 brunette, in fishnets, a black bodice, red tail coat, and black tophat, playing "Valet" to Alfundo) grab my right and left hands, respectively, and _drag_ me on the ride.

It was: Alfundo on the right, me in the middle, and lady McHotpants on the left, on that goddawful ride.. and Alfundo kept his head on, the whooooole ride. I was mightily impressed.

The next one down the list would be:

Was (a few years before that) at the park with some people who had come to visit us from England (long story). Anyway, TH was the "baddest" coaster in the park at that point, (and was "the coaster").

The gal, from England, who was my age, said "Do you ride that?"

I, knowing full well it was down for maintenance said "oh yeah! That one's _easy!_

It opened five minutes later.

I had to ride it.. TERRIFIED Of the bloody thing, never having been on anything that went more than "high speed thrill coaster" off the ground before, and act like it was "all good" and old hat.

I did get mad smoochins later on the Journey, though. :)
maeryk

Postby maeryk » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:57 pm

Jiggy: Them were Muskrats. They are pretty much utterly harmless, unless you are a beaver trying like heck to build a dam.

Man.. I remember the whale boats!

(I have photos of the Sea Lions on the red blocks in the pool which is now that driving ride for little kids.)
maeryk

Postby Jiggy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:17 pm

Those were the days........I miss Alfundo, one of the girls that took him around was named Michelle (dated her for a few months a couple years later), she actually stayed quite a few years as a character. I bet if the Ranger was still around, it would still be a thriller.
Jiggy

Postby Tori_is_neat » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:09 pm

I have a few interesting things.
1) I was forcing my friend to go on Dominator, holding her in place by holding onto the railing behind her (I eventually got her to do it by promising to give her a pair of my pants) and this guy in front of us asked if we were lesbians. We said no, we were bi (which was true, at the time). He proceeded to ask if we were dating (no, but we had), if we had kissed (nope, still haven't), and then if we smoke. We said no. They were like, "oh, well, if you want pot, we can get it for ya." We laughed nervously (we were only like 14) and said, no, thank you, we were fine.
2) I heard music coming from one of the shows during a halloweekend like three years ago. And I'm was like "hey, that sounds like Haunted!" That's a song by evanescence, which I was obsessed with at that time. It was actually a Dido song, but I talked with my friend about it, and suddenly Haunted came on! I was ecstatic to say the least. I was surprised due to the fact that I had never heard it in a public place, for it was never released as a single.
3) In August, my friend (same one as in number one, actually) was feeding the ducks (we got into this habit of doing so) and as she was throwing feed...stuff in, her rainbow bracelet (which was made of pony beads and was like three bracelets stacked on top of one another) flew off and into the water. At first the ducks went after it a bit, and then the fish did, too. But neither pursued it and it laid contently on the bottom. Exasperated, we headed off. We came back about two hours later and it was gone! I think it's weird.

Hah. My stories are lame.

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Postby jeffpiatt » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:29 am

this year the odd moment with the park wide radio was having the caddy shack theme play followed by having the itchy and scratchy theme play during holoweekends. it just feels odd.
jeffpiatt

Postby 80'sOpsChick » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:46 pm

This is an easy one for me to answer, I just cut and pasted this from my blog.

July 31, 2007 - Tuesday
The last night of July
Current mood: curious
Category: Blogging

On July 31, 1987, twenty years ago tonight, I was operating the merry-go-round at Dorney Park. This was the Gustav Dentzel that they had running for several years on the same spot where the Grand Carousel stood before the 1983 fire. (Today, the Dominator stands at roughly the same spot.) Anyhow, it was probably after 9pm and I was feeling a bit bored, wishing I was up at the Laser. I noticed an old man riding on one of the chariots who sort of reminded me of the guy from the Quaker Oats commercial (what's his name?) He was riding alone. When the ride was over, he walked up to me and asked me what my name was. After I told him, he said, "My name is Tom. I wanted to tell you that you are a very good ride operator. Do you have a place at home where you keep valuables, like jewelry, or whatnot?" I told him I did. He went on, "Well, this is the last night of July." He extends his hand to shake mine. "I want you to put this in a safe place and then whenever you see it, you'll think of the last night of July." In my hand was a silver dollar, one of those huge ones, with Eisenhower on it. I thanked him and he turned and left, disappearing into the park.

This brief incident was so surreal, so off-the-wall, and something I always remembered vividly. I stood there wondering, what was so significant about the last night of July? Why was he riding all by himself at night? What's with the coin, and why me? I didn't do anything special; I just pushed a button and kept my eye on everyone.

I still have the dollar; although it's packed away in that jewelry box in one of the boxes I took from my mother's when she moved. I suppose I should get it out every July 31, but it's not so much having the coin in front of me. It's remembering this story every year, which I never fail to do. Some years I'd return to the park on this day. I just think it was neat that this man decided to do a random act of kindness that would resonate with me all these years. He's probably not even around anymore. So Tom, I'm still not sure what that was all about, but here's to you and the last 20!
Last edited by 80'sOpsChick on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Original Hercules Operator (back when it was awesome). Ho!
80'sOpsChick

Fire and brimstone...

Postby games5 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:33 pm

While doing games inventory, early 90's...overnight like 1-2am the speaker at Ringtoss would channel a fire and brimstone preacher with a southern accent. It took awhile to narrow down where the voice was coming from...very creepy even afterwards! We figured the speaker cable was picking up some a.m. radion station...It only lasted a few weeks then stopped.

-t
games5

Re: Whats the wierdest thing that ever happend to you at Dorney

Postby the master » Sun May 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Two years ago I saw a guy panhandling inside the park. :roll:
the master

Postby Dorneyman27 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:51 pm

The weirdest things that happened to me were this past August. I went two days in a row. On a sunny Thursday my bag was stolen from Wildwater Kingdom. The next day I got to Dorney in the afternoon right when a storm came. I tried to leave, but the line to leave the parking lot was so long. It took a while to leave the lot.
Dorneyman27

Postby Tori_is_neat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:58 pm

On some of the days that I worked open, I decided to go back into the park after work. Being the nerd that I am, I would go to my ride, Steel Force, being my favorite.
Anyway, it was a little busy the one night, and I was in line for the second to back. There was still like a two train wait ahead of me, but I noticed a girl in the last row who looked like she was going to ride by herself. I definitely prefer the very back, so I asked her if she would mind me riding with her, thinking I would help efficiency and get to ride in the back at the same time. We talked. I'm 19, and she was 13. She was there by herself, and was getting picked on by some kids that she went to school with. She wasn't exactly passive, though, so I ended up having to break them up from fighting with each other. Anyway, she wanted to go on more rides with me, which I didn't care about. She ended up asking for my number because she has a season pass and wanted to ride rides with me again some other time I was off and she was in the park.
It turned out this was a big mistake.
She knew what ride I worked at, and she had my number. She would text me all the time, and then would go to my ride and look for me, and even ask my coworkers about me. She decided she was in love with me and asked me out.
:|
So, for the rest of the season, I had a creepy, 13 year old stalker. My coworkers thought it was funny until she would literally follow me around and ask them about me.

That was the weirdest thing that ever happened to me.

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Next

Return to Chatterbox