Flying Dutchman question on operation

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Flying Dutchman question on operation

Postby Kozmo 1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Anyone know how many cars could be operated at a time maximum? I know it had 12 cars but am sure they couldn't run all 12 at once, anyone know?
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Re: Flying Dutchman question on operation

Postby Jiggy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:19 am

I wouldn't normally comment on operations of a ride but since this ride is long gone and the opertors of the park at the time are no longer there, I'll tell you what I remember...but it's getting blurry. Possibly OpsChick can correct me here if I'm wrong.

Over the years and even throughout the day, operations would change....especially towards the end......because of problems with the brake system. The trim brakes at different points of the ride were operated each by their own air compresser which was nothing more than your average Sears home garage compresser. There were many problems with the things staying running and leaking like crazy causing fluctuations in braking capacity. Also, keep in mind that these trim brakes were before the times of computers and didn't adjust for weight of the car and therefore heavier car-loads ran much faster than others. Typically we were running 4 cars active with 3 or 4 in the station unloading/loading.

The first car would be climbing the hill
The second car would be dropping off the first hill and into the left side
The third car would be playing around on the right side (common brake problem/derail area)
The fourth car would be in the bunny-hops at the backside of the ride

The most fun position to operate (because it was the most challenging) was the rear brake. Much like operating the old Coaster (Thunderhawk) in the old days, every car comming in was a different weight and therefore the speed comming in was never the same. You had to use your experience to allow the car to come in and slow down at a safe speed but don't let it stop completely or you risk a collision with the next car comming in. If it did stop, you had to quickly run over and give it a push up to the unloading area. Not everybody was allowed to handle this position (much like the old Coaster).

Hope this helps satisfy your curiosity.
Last edited by Jiggy on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jiggy

Postby Jiggy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:33 am

QUICK INTERESTING NOTE: Both the Dutchman and the Disco Dodge used cars that were designed after the most popular automobile of the times yet both were built by different companies....what automobile was the inspiration? (This should be pretty easy and by the way, there are some examples of those bumper cars fo sale on eBay right now)
Jiggy

Postby Kozmo 1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks guys,

And Jiggy, do you have a link to the bumper cars on ebay? Only ones I could bring up right now were a Majestic and a 40's or 50's Lusse. I'd like to get a bumper car like the 70's Lusses from the Thunderhawk building. Hard to search though without throwing in the work carnival or amusement or something, then it cuts out alot of the results. But you gotta narrow it down or you get all the real "car bumper" auctions.

Also hard to find something that's local since you would need to pick it up.

BTW on the same note, If anyone knows where I could find a Giant Wheel car from Hershey let me know...
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Kozmo 1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 am

Oh just found this after some more looking, is this it Jiggy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTO-SKOOTER-BUMPER-CAR-PROJECT-Amusement-Ride_W0QQitemZ220369045289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220369045289&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200

The guy also has the Majestic and Lusse I found earlier. The Lusse looks like the same model that was used in the Thawk building in the 80s/90s. Unless the nose is different a little. Not sure how many models Lusse did.

Who was the manufacturer of the ones that were in the Disco Dodge? The ones in that auction look a bit older than what I remember of the DD ones. In fact I saw 2 of them up in the boneyard area at Dorney about five years ago and they were surprisingly still in good condition for being kept outside. The fiberglass shells were still relatively bright and shiney, I think I saw an orange and maybee a green or yellow.

One of my favorite memories as a kid at Dorney was getting a big cup of (in the fun french fry print cup) fries from Burger Barn and sitting down on the benches in what is now a fenced off staff area right in the back of the Disco Dodge and eat fries and watch the bumper cars and listen to the blaring rock music that you couldn't hear over. :P
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Jiggy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Here are the Lusse ones that are closer to the ones DD had ( http://cgi.ebay.com/LUSSE-AUTO-SKOOTER- ... dZViewItem ). These might be just a bit newer by a couple years, not sure, but they are in essence the same ones. They were designed to look like Ford Mustangs of the late 60's era. I believe after the DD was closed, the cars were moved to the Bumper Skooters building and replaced the cars there. Those were also Lusse cars of a much older design mimmicking the 55-57 Chevy cars. Bushkill Park still has a bunch of the older Lusse cars sitting in storage (what a shame) and i do remember seeing a few of the old Disco Dodge cars in the Dorney scrapyard back in '06.

The Pinfari Flying Dutchman cars were also meant to mimmick the Ford Mustang of the late 60's.
Jiggy

Postby Kozmo 1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:47 pm

Cool, yeah I always thought DD had newer fiberglass bodied cars in the late 80's/early 90's. Those were the ones that were up in the boneyard. And a few of those Lusse cars like in that auction were in the rubble of that house they ripped down back behind CCPL a few years ago.

Is it possible those Lusse cars were in the DD when it opened but sometime in the 80's they were replaced with newer cars and the older ones were moved to the other scooter building replacing the older Lusse's?
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Jiggy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:35 am

I know the cars in the DD were the same throughout its life as the Disco Dodge, and essentially the drive mechanisms are the same as the old Lusse cars from the old Bumper Skooter ride. I am sure most of the parts and maybe some of the cars were moved to the Skooter ride before it was demolished by CF. Keep in mind that to me, the late 60's, 70's, and early 80's are the "old Dorney" for me so we may be confusing our terminology depending on your age and memories.
Jiggy

Postby Kozmo 1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:23 am

Cool, yeah Jiggy, old Dorney to me is late 80's-early 90's. That's what I can remember mostly.
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby 80'sOpsChick » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:09 am

LOL... I found this old thread doing a search for a good FD photo to put on my FB cover page. Jiggy thought I might shed some light here, but sorry... I have NO clue how the FD operated. I didn't work much in the Golden Zone and never did time at the Dutchman. I was a Laser and Hercules gal. I do recall operators saying how they have to pay STRICT attention to the cars at all times. There was always a person positioned in the center at a control panel watching its operation like a hawk. A quick scroll down my FB friends reveals only one person who may have spent some time up there on the hill. I'll message him and get back to you.
The Original Hercules Operator (back when it was awesome). Ho!
80'sOpsChick

Postby Kozmo 1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:49 pm

No problem, this was years ago when I had a model built. Have it completed long now. Turned out great, John Hunt from rollercoastermodels.com constructed it.
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Return to General Discussion