6/28/10

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

6/28/10

Postby phillydude » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:39 am

Skipped work on a Monday to take a mental health day at WWK. Arrived around 11, parking lot half full. Crowds seemed light, however, and we got a lounge at the Cove to stash our stuff and chilled in the wave pool for a bit. Worked our way around to Patriot's Plunge, Riptide Run, Runaway River, AquaBlast, and AquaRacer before taking a break for nachos from the taco stand in WWK around 1pm. Got in line for Wildwater Rapids after that, but after waiting five minutes while someone looked for a lost item in the landing pool, we climbed back down and headed into DP.

Talon was a walk-on in every queue(!?!) so my younger son's first experience with that ride was from the front row. He waited while his brother and I rode Hang Time (there are different ride patterns for that, correct? It seemed different than last time) and then we headed for Hydra... again, front row walk-on. Younger son split off to ride Wild Mouse after that, while older son and I rode Meteor, front row walk-on (sensing a theme here?), and then we met back up as the boys wanted to ride Wildwater Landing (I sat that one out). Since they were wet and we had about fifteen minutes to kill before Snoopy Rocks On Ice at 4pm, we wandered down to Thunder Creek Mountain, and I checked out Demon Drop (which was NOT running) while they continued their "flumefest" experience. There were a few suits walking the tracks of DD, but no sign of operations any time soon.

We hustled up the hill to the Ice Rink... if that's what you can call it. It's really not a rink at all... it's a stage covered in ice, and a small stage at that. I was constantly expecting a performer to miss a jump or a cue and crash into the walls or worse, fall off the front into the audience below. But the show was solid, the effects were good (rain, fog, etc), the music selection was decent (more pop and standards than rock, but hey, it's a family park), and the skating was good considering how little room there is to work with (and I counted over a dozen people who were getting PAID to ice skate... which is remarkable... I mean, how many PAYING jobs are there for ice skating professionals in the country?), and we enjoyed the whole experience. I will suggest that you are either fully dry before going in... it's nice and cool in there, and both the boys were grabbing their towels to use as blankets during the show.

After that, we snuck in a quick ride on Enterprise (or as quick as possible... I think that might be the slowest loader in the whole park) and then had dinner at the Backyard BBQ, which I raved about in my last trip report. The boys left to ride the Ferris Wheel while I finished eating my share of the buffet, and when we came back, I was pretty much done with rides for the evening. We wandered down into the lower half of the park, older son rode Dominator Green (first time), both rode Monster (another slow loader), we all rode Revolution (another slow loader), then they split up - younger one on Thunderhawk (twice) and older one on Steel Force - while I waited. We decided to play a few games... won a Smurf at the water guns down by Possessed, and a basketball at one of the hoop shooters. Still no luck with the $1.00 Season Pass Special at the ring toss though... we're going to hit a big prize at that sometime this summer, however... I can feel it.

Once more on Hydra (a short wait for front row due to a "body fluid spill" on one of the trains, as they weren't loading the first two rows while doing the clean-up work) and Talon (one train wait for front row) and we were out the gates with another successful day completed. I think we're going to try and get a mid-July weekday visit in to try for Demon Drop, and I'm planning to check out Morey's Piers (including some of the "extreme" rides) at the end of July in Wildwood.
How would you feel if you had a plate of fresh hand-cut french fries and wanted ketchup but instead I threw a dog turd on top of them and said, "It's better than nothing?" - modernphoenixv2

People have to eat. - Dick Kinzel
phillydude

Re: 6/28/10

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 pm

If you can go to Moreys on a Tuesday, wristbands are only $20 but they expire at 6pm. Lines usually aren't long during the day sonyou should be able to ride everythig if you got there at opening which is 12 or 12:30.

Was Possessed running?
Yoshi

Postby phillydude » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:27 pm

I saw the Tuesday offer for Moreys... the offer is similar on Wednesdays ($30 or $35... can't remember) but it includes two tickets per person for the "extreme" rides... which can be $20 a pop if purchased separately. My older son wants to do the swing thing and the bungee-type things... I'm sure I'll hate them, but hey, gotta be brave in front of the kids.

Possessed was running all day, AFAIK... I saw it first-hand while I was waiting for them at Monster. Were you at the park yesterday?
How would you feel if you had a plate of fresh hand-cut french fries and wanted ketchup but instead I threw a dog turd on top of them and said, "It's better than nothing?" - modernphoenixv2

People have to eat. - Dick Kinzel
phillydude

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:05 pm

No I had planned to go today but I went to Great Adventure instead to get my final Scream Machine rides since it is very likely the ride is closing for good tomorrow or Thursday
Yoshi

Postby Tori_is_neat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:01 am

phillydude wrote:He waited while his brother and I rode Hang Time (there are different ride patterns for that, correct? It seemed different than last time)

There aren't different ride patterns but what the ride does seems to depend on the amount of people on the ride, the way it's balanced, etc. I swear it just does whatever it wants, but it generally has a pattern. It's neat that it's a different experience almost every time, though. :)

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Postby dp45879 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:49 am

Yeah, last time I rode it felt much different. We swung twice with a stop in between before doing the upside down swings, then we were only held above the pond for about 4 seconds. I love it though, I make sure I ride it every visit.
dp45879

Return to Trip Reports