10/31/10, Closing Day

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

10/31/10, Closing Day

Postby Yoshi » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:06 pm

I wanted to finish the 2010 season at Dorney since I haven't been to the park since the opening night of Haunt. I thought the park was going to be empty or jammed (no moderate crowds). The parking lot couldn't have had more than a few hundred cars. I got to the park around 3:15 with my sister.

The first ride was the Sea Dragon, the cycle seemed longer than the last time I tried the ride a couple of years ago. The Whip was next and then we went to Steel Force. 2 trains running and the trains were going out 1/2 - 2/3 full so it was another walk on. It was very cold in the helix. I went back for another ride in the last row and went to Thunderhawk. 1 train running but it was a walk on. It wasn't rough at all today and I got 2 rides.

Possessed was also launching almost empty trains so I stopped there went to the Turbo Drop side of Dominator and went to Demon Drop for 2 rides. It wasn't as painful as it was over the summer.

Next was Hydra and Balloon Race since today is likely the final day of Balloon Race at the park.

Wild Mouse had around a 20 minute wait so we skipped that and went to the Cedar Creek Cannonball. It was interesting to see Thunder Canyon without any water in the trough.

I wanted to finish the season with Talon so I went there and got 3 rides, all walk ons. Even after Haunt started, the park was still empty but the Haunt attractions appeared to have some lines but they didn't look too bad. I was very surprised since I thought with it being Halloween and a low price admission compared to Great Adventure with no upcharge for the Haunt attractions it would be much more crowded than it was but it was nice to end the season without waiting in any lines.

I can't believe that the season went by so quickly. It seems like it was just the end of March when Great Adventure opened and then early May and going to Dorney on opening weekend.

Overall I thought it was a good season at Dorney. I think Demon Drop is an ok addition but I still wish they could have built the ride elsewhere in the park and kept or relocated the Krazy Kars or better yet add real bumper cars. It also seemed like it was more difficult to find days that WWK was empty. I guess that is also because of the very hot weather we had this past summer since even on the few days I got to WWK at opening, 30 minutes after the park opened almost all the major slides had long lines.

Ride Count:
Talon, 3x
Hydra, 1x
Possessed, 1x
Steel Force, 2x
Thunderhawk, 2x
Demon Drop, 2x
Dominator, 1x
Sea Dragon, 1x
Whip, 1x
Cedar Creek Cannonball, 1x
Yoshi

Re: 10/31/10, Closing Day

Postby dp45879 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:06 pm

Did you notice that the trim was off on Thunderhawk?
dp45879

Postby Yoshi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 am

I really didn't think about it but now that you mention it, it does seem like it didn't slow down as much at the bunny hills.
Yoshi

Postby randomweirdo5 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:41 pm

I noticed it and i think it made the ride so much better.
randomweirdo5

Postby PepsiFan01 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:56 am

Why was the trim off? That's cool people enjoyed the ride better.
PepsiFan01

Postby randomweirdo5 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:56 pm

I really don't know. I don't even understand why Thunderhawk has a trim.
randomweirdo5

Postby dptalon135 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:35 pm

My understanding is that Thunderhawk's station was originally where its transfer/storage tracks are now, meaning the brake run behind the station used to be longer. Also, the newer computerized control system divides the brake run into two segments, where old skid brakes would use the entire distance of the brake run to stop the train.

In other words, upgrades to the ride system require the train to stop in a shorter distance than it was originally designed to. The trim was then added near the end of the ride to reduce the intensity of the stop when the train hits the actual brake run, since an abrupt stop would lead to increased wear and tear, as well as being really uncomfortable. The trim brake really is there out of [current] necessity.

On cold days with light loads, however, the train travels at slow speeds and with less momentum. The trim brake gets turned down or off on these days to ensure the train has enough momentum to make it over the final hill.

The solution to ALL of this is pretty simple, it just would cost some money. Magnetic brakes on the final brake run (in part) would have no wear and tear and be a smooth deceleration, meaning no need for the trim!
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby PepsiFan01 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Ah, makes sense, thanks for that! I remember many years ago when the bunny hills at the end were much more intense, and also how it used to stop so abruptly at the end of brake run...it was uncomfortable. Magnetic brakes sounds great, if they would invest in them. They should, IMO, with ThunderHawk being the oldest ride that has brought a lot of enjoyment to people for so long, but of course we know how it goes. Maybe someday.
PepsiFan01

Return to Trip Reports