Hershey's New SDL trains arrive

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Hershey's New SDL trains arrive

Postby Kozmo 1 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:18 am

http://www.amusementtoday.com/new-superdooperlooper-trains-arrive-at-hersheypark/

I'm glad they stayed pretty close to the original look and desighn...and the orange makes me wonder if they did originaly plan to repaint the ride back to the original colors. But it does seem to fit the blue nicely though anyway :)

Either way just so happy to see Hersheypark investing in keeping their Scwarzkopf around for hopefully a good while yet :)
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Re: Hershey's New SDL trains arrive

Postby Yoshi » Fri May 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Although I will miss the old trains, I too am glad they got the new trains which hopefully will mean the ride will be operating for a long time. Riding Scorpion at Busch Gardens in January reminded me of how much I miss Laser and although I usually only get to Hershey once a year, riding SDL is something I always look forward to.
Yoshi

Postby Kozmo 1 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:51 am

Same here and it's also great that you only need to be 42" to ride so my son can ride...Hershey's great for that reason, he has 3 major coasters to ride there. Too bad the past 2 times we were there looper was closed (STITP while waiting on the new trains, and last Halloween after the snow storm).

I really do miss the old trains too...but I'm relieved they are still pretty similar to the old ones although a bit different. I thought they may look much more different considering they weren't being made by Schwarzkopf. Intresting in the article how they said the previous set wasn't Schwarzkopf either but Giovanola....I wonder if Lazer's trains added in 99' were from Giovanola. Anyone know? I always thought they were Schwarzkopf and that they still were makeing trains and parts back then for existing rides.
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Kozmo 1 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:16 am

Also forgot to mention happy there's no OTSR's and I hope no seatbelts, but I guess we'll have to wait for a trip report to verify that.

Trains look WAY better than those Dragster type trains Lazer has now, not to mention they also have OTSRs.
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Rode this yesterday and I was VERY impressed with how much smoother the ride was. SDL feels quite a bit more youthful now. Great upgrade!
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Return to Industry Discussion