fate of remaining Tot Spot rides, Balloon Race

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

fate of remaining Tot Spot rides, Balloon Race

Postby Kozmo 1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:25 pm

We know Dragon Coaster went to Valleyfair and became Cosmic Coaster...anyone know if/to where anything else wound up that was listed for sale?

I just wonder because I noticed today while on the Steel Force lift, saw the old Balloon Race sitting up in the boneyard area behind the employee lot. Came home and looked up the satelite image and spotted it there aswell as alot of the old Tot Spot stuff....I could make out the Space Age ships for sure...pretty distinctive shapes even though they were in their protective tarps. Looks like several kiddie rides are up there...anyone know if anything was actualy sold? Or wound up at other parks or carnivals?
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Re: fate of remaining Tot Spot rides, Balloon Race

Postby Yoshi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:24 am

Balloon Race is still for sale:
http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1427

It's still annoying that they removed the ride that was a good family ride (even if the cycle was really short) to replace it with a kiddie ride that is very similar. It seemed like a waste of money.

Here are the rest of the rides still for sale
Little Laser:
http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1431
Mini Jet:
http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1426
Kiddie Merry Go Round:
http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1430
Space Age:
http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1513

I guess the Dune Buggies and Antique Cars were sold
Yoshi

Postby Hooky965 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Geez I have pictures that my pop-pop took of me riding in one of the Space Age helicopters back when I was like 2....yeah, that was in 1970 :?
Hooky965

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Looking at those rides I can almost hear the beeping, buzzing, and laughing of little kids. Oh, the old days...

This makes me really think about the Skyride, Rockets, Journey, Iceberg, and all of the Dorney rides of yesterday that I have almost forgotten about. Boy does time fly. Whether you are having fun or not...
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Postby PepsiFan01 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Those pics definitely bring back memories...
PepsiFan01

Postby rotlex » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:42 am

I know it's redundant whining and complaining but looking at these is still freaking me out. Why, oh why did they feel the need to remove these rides? Especially now that the area they were contained in is pretty much empty! The Little Laser in particular should have been kept, IMO, and our son, now 4, REALLY misses it. He still remembers it from his 2-3 year old range, and it was a MUCH smoother, more pleasurable ride for a kid in his age range than the Woodstock Express.

I really, really don't get it. Especially when parks like Hershey, Knoebels, and heck, even Great Adventure, still have similar rides in place? My biggest complaint really is how isolated the kids area is now. Sure, there is Planet Snoopy, but that's it. For someone like myself that has a 10 and a 4 year old, there is no longer anything for the younger child to do in the area when we are riding say Possessed, Steel Force etc. Seems more and more like Dorney is about separating families for some odd reason.
rotlex

Postby nathanaelerik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 am

As annoying as it is, its best not to question it.

The logic behind running dorney now, is questionable at the least.
nathanaelerik

Postby Fun » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:03 pm

rotlex wrote:Why, oh why did they feel the need to remove these rides?

You do realize it costs money to run rides, don't you? The new rides at Planet Snoopy took the place of these outdated attractions. Besides, no park can exponentially add rides unless there is enough people coming in to support it. People come for WWK- that is the place where the number of total rides should be increasing, not Dorney.
Fun

Postby Yoshi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:36 pm

What always surprises me is that at other parks when a new ride, specifically a coaster opens there is always huge crowds and a long line for most of the season. Not at Dorney. I remember seeing pictures of Hydra's opening day and I heard it never was more than a 20 minute wait and I rode Stinger on Sunday of opening weekend and it was never more than a 5 to 10 minute wait.

I would have liked to have seen Dragon coaster stay. It was fun for a kiddie coaster and it was my favorite coaster at Dorney before I started to ride the regular coasters.
Yoshi

Postby rotlex » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Fun wrote:
rotlex wrote:Why, oh why did they feel the need to remove these rides?

You do realize it costs money to run rides, don't you? The new rides at Planet Snoopy took the place of these outdated attractions. Besides, no park can exponentially add rides unless there is enough people coming in to support it. People come for WWK- that is the place where the number of total rides should be increasing, not Dorney.

Tell that to most parents I know, myself included. Every park out there has these types of Kiddie rides and doesn't feel the need to get rid of them just because they add new things. Planet Snoopy is fine, but again, it is isolated to one area of the park.

It just seems as though Dorney makes more stupid decisions than any park I frequent, and I frequent a LOT of them, from here to Florida. And don't even get me started on the ride loading and unloading policies, seat belts, WWK rules and 100 other things. If I didn't live 10 minutes from them, it's the last place I'd ever visit.
rotlex

Postby Yoshi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:25 pm

I agree, unfortunately Cedar Fair really gets crazy with some of their policies (like the re-ride policy, almost all non CF parks allow it). I'm all for safety but they take it to an extreme sometimes.
Yoshi

Postby dorneydude » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:52 am

I wish the folks at Bushkill had some cash to buy these and start a rebuild. I bet those prices are negotiable. Still at a buck a ride it could take forever to recoup the costs I guess...
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:14 pm

^^^I'll bet that they would recoup it faster than you think...
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Postby Steelforceguy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:04 pm

...until they get washed down the creek in the next flood. :( I'm no geologist but I know enough that Bushkill Park WILL flood again. It's sad. I have nice memories of Bushkill Park in the early 80's as a kid in the fun house and that classic carousel they had. Too bad I was too young at the time to fully appreciate it.
Steelforceguy

Postby Christina87 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:31 am

I'm sorry for bumping a 2 year old thread.

I want to comment though, even though those links don't work anymore.

I hate that they got rid of tot spot. That was my childhood. I loved little laser and the dragon coaster. However my favorite was these trucks they used to have. I can't remember the name of them now.

I also miss the sky ride.

I wish the pictures I have of all of these rides were digital.
Christina87

Next

Return to General Discussion