Laser Question

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Laser Question

Postby djw44 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:37 pm

I was watching an old Laser POV video and it showed the second train parked. My memory is foggy, did they ever run a second train on there? I seem to recall it happening once or twice but I don't remember definitively.
djw44

Re: Laser Question

Postby Yoshi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:12 pm

I never saw it myself (probably because I almost always tried to go on weekdays in the summer) but when I asked about it a few years ago I remember hearing that very rarely it ran 2 trains but did on some peak days like Saturday's in July and August. I forget who it was who said but their reasoning was that because it was barely 30 seconds from the top of the lift to the brake run, most of the time the 2nd train was just sitting in the block brakes waiting for the other train to dispatch so it barely helped capacity. I guess adding the seatbelts in 2007 didn't help much either, it was a shame how painfully slow the line moved when a 4 train wait took close to 20 minutes.
Yoshi

Postby Kozmo 1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 am

Yeah, they use to run 2 trains when busy, mostly weekends in the summer. I don't know if they ever did it once the seatbelts were added. I assume that it made the loading even more painfully slow. And yes the other train would probably just sit in the brakes while the other one was loaded.

And also changing the computer system to requre an empty block zone between trains probably slowed things even more. They use to be able to have the 2nd train waiting right outside the station instead of under the exit bridge.

Add in only staffing the ride with one attendant most of the time and you have probably the slowest moving line in the park.

So sad how CF slowly killed that ride.

Does anyone remember way back if they ever ran 3 trains on it when it first came to Dorney? I don't even know if they had 3 trains the first season or just 2.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Hooky965 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:30 am

I remember being on it with two trains, and waiting outside the station as described here for the next train to depart. I don't ever remember it running with three trains, but I do fondly remember the "no belt" days :D
Hooky965

Postby C Trumbore » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Laser only had two trains. Hard to run three. Only once through the years did I see it running a 2 train op, and I think that was actually slower than the one train op, honestly.
C Trumbore

Postby Jiggy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:21 am

I was a Rides Supervisor back in those days. Yes we used to run it with 2 cars on busy days, but like was said it didn't improve times that greatly. The advantage was that as soon as the first train was headed up the hill, the second could be in the station and unloading. Keep in mind that back in those days we ran with an operator in the booth and 2 on the platform (1 each side) so loading/unloading was much faster.

When the ride came, yes it had 3 trains. That first year there was an accident involving one of the ride operators who lost part of his foot as a result of it. The train that was in the station at the time was damaged beyond reasonable repair during the extrication process. The extent of the torching and cutting by the rescue teams to the bogie in particular and part of the car frame was more than just a quick repair. Since running three trains wasn't really something that was going to happen anyway, it wasn't fixed. For the longest time it sat in pieces near the maintenance shops. Parts from it were used on the other 2 trains for repairs over time.
Jiggy

Postby SpaceRides » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm surprised not many people recall two trains. It happened often enough. And true story about that foot injury. It was my preschool teacher's son, oddly.

I'm surprised no one mentioned when the red and blue trains collided in the station turning an empty run in the rain. Then they combined the non damaged halves and we had a red front with a blue back!
SpaceRides

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:59 pm

I remember two trains being used before but I have not seen it for quite a few years.
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Postby Kozmo 1 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 am

I remember seeing the half/half red/blue train!

What year was that? Was that the last year before it went purple/green? Or was it a few years earlier? What did they do then to get 2 trains running again the next season if that wasn't when they bought the 2 new trains?
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby randydorney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:05 am

I know for sure they used both trains, but again it was during the summer (more so in July & July 4th holiday).

Having 3 people operate made wait times go fast, especially when it was hot out in the blazing sun.
Play disney ride simulations online!! Be the operator of your favorite disney ride attractions!! You're in control!! Visit website: http://www.themagical.nl
Ride Ops Meteor: 02,03,09'
randydorney

Postby SpaceRides » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:11 pm

I don't recall if the half and half train remained until the new color scheme. I feel like maybe they painted it all one color the following season to look less suspicious? And I feel like that crash happened around 1995ish. I don't think the new color scheme was until 1999 or 2000. I looked at a 1997 picture I took from inside the train. I can only see the row I'm in and that was red. I realize none of this was very helpful, Kozmo. haha.
SpaceRides

Postby Kozmo 1 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:18 am

That's ok, nah, I worked down in the lower park in 97 and 98 and they definatly had 2 trains, a red and a blue those seasons. I guess they either had a 3rd train sitting around to make 2 complete trains again or the damaged cars were repaired. Or even got new cars from Schwarzkopf. It was a popular ride back then and I'd assume they would need 2 trains for the seasons after the crash.

Does anyone know if back in the early days of the ride the trains were replaced? I know it had 3 trains before coming to Dorney, don't know if all 3 were ever in use at Dorney or not, or even on the track when it was installed.
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby djw44 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:25 pm

I know when they did the revamp with the new paint job around 1999 or 2000, Laser was given new trains.
djw44

Postby modernphoenixv2 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:46 pm

C Trumbore wrote:Laser only had two trains. Hard to run three. Only once through the years did I see it running a 2 train op, and I think that was actually slower than the one train op, honestly.

Curt?
modernphoenixv2

Postby nathanaelerik » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:51 am

I still say Laser was a better coaster than stinger.

#Bitter

:evil:
nathanaelerik

Next

Return to General Discussion