Saturday May 18

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

Saturday May 18

Postby stealth220 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:13 am

Took a preseason spin to the park (probably my only one this year) and overall it was a pretty good trip. Operations were fantastic as usual, especially for this early in the season. All of the coaster crews really kept it moving, in particular Steel Force (which had the longest line of the day at 15 minutes).

Also got my first ride on Stinger - I've been on Invertigo at KI before, but that was almost 5 years ago. Facing the people across from you may be the best part of this ride - the reactions were priceless. And luckily we didn't get stuck at any point, so that's always a plus!

Only saw 4 people using the FastLane, which as expected really wasn't needed since the crowds were so low and thinned out even more after the school groups left. The park invested some cash into this program though with all of the queue re-routings (I didn't get to check it out last year) so it was strange to not always walk up the same beaten paths to the rides I've been going on for 15+ years.

The only things that really bothered me were 1) the price and 2) Possessed. I paid $49.99 at the gate (I KNOW, I should have bought online) and it was a Lehigh Valley weekend where I could have just given them my zip code, even though I don't have a PA driver's license anymore. Just a few years ago regular admission with the waterpark was $43.99 gate. I don't think they've added enough to justify the price increase, but I guess it does put them more in line with their competitors. Also, Possessed was a little weak, not even making it far up enough the back spike to hit the holding brake. I think I saw one train all day stop on the last backward swing, but the rest just kept on coasting. Hopefully it's just an early season break-in period (although I never witnessed that when I worked there) and the weather was on the cold side too. Everything else was running fine.

It was nice to be back after a season off and see things running fairly smoothly this early in the season. Might be back for Haunt! :)
stealth220

Re: Saturday May 18

Postby Yoshi » Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 am

I didn't know they stopped offering a discount on admission early in the season before WWK opens for the year. I guess it must have been in the last couple of years.
Yoshi

Postby stealth220 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:19 pm

They do, but I guess it's just online only now. In the past I'm sure they offered it at the gate, but $50 regular season is still a sharp increase from just a few years ago.
stealth220

Postby dorneydude » Thu May 23, 2013 12:27 pm

so let me see if I have this straight...its '2 parks in one' with one park opened, one would expect some sort of discount but instead they charge the 2 park price?
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Return to Trip Reports