Great Adventure 7/29/13

Just been on vacation? Tell us about your trips to other amusement parks around the world.

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure 7/29/13

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:30 pm

I got to the park around 5:45 and the lot wasn't too bad for a Monday in late July.

On the way to Nitro I stopped at Deja Vu since there was no line. Nitro's line was at where the snack stand used to be which usually is a little less than 15 minutes with 3 trains running. Today it took 20 minutes since dispatches were a little slower than normal. By the time I exited the ride, the line was past the 60 minute sign.

Skull Mountain was a 10 minute wait and had some more light than usual in the building. The Skyway had both sides open but I didn't want to go to Frontier Adventures so I skipped it and went to the Boardwalk.

Green Lantern was also around 10 minutes and the single rider line was closed. I don't mind the 3rd train leaving since with 2 trains, it seems to work well with little to no stacking. Superman looked to be around 30 minutes.

I walked over to Kingda Ka and it looked like the line was around 45 minutes. It's not worth that long of a wait to me so I skipped it and went back to the Boardwalk waiting a couple of minutes for the Parachutes with all sides open. I then went back to Green Lantern which was now a walk on.

I wanted to see how much smoother Rolling Thunder is after the track work. Only the left side was open and it was a 3 train wait. Although I thought the left side was somewhat smoother than the right side, it is even smoother now. It was one of the best rides on Rolling Thunder I have had in the past few years. I went back for another ride but while waiting in the station 1 train stopped on the lift and the other train stopped halfway into the station. I left since I saw ride ops putting on the orange vests to climb the lift and thought it might be closed for a while but walking to Frontier Adventures, I saw the ride started up again around 5 minutes later.

Runaway Mine Train had no wait and I got a re-ride. From the coaster, I saw Bizarro had a mostly empty station and went there next. It was a 3 train wait with 2 trains running. I think the ride might have just reopened since by the time I got on the coaster, I saw the line was now on the stairs and usually with an hour until park closing, the line wouldn't go from an empty station to a line on the stairs that fast.

Saw Mill Log Flume had no line and thankfully no one was at the coin operated sprayers. I went back to Runaway Mine Train and then thought about taking the Skyway and finishing the night at Nitro but instead decided to take a chance and try to ride both Superman and Kingda Ka with just over 30 minutes before closing.

Since Superman had no line I was able to ride the coaster and then walk fast over to Kingda Ka and managed to get in line for a 2nd ride right before they closed the line for the night. One thing I would like to see changed is either close the front row line at around 15 minutes before closing if a lot of people are line and not let anyone else in line or make an announcement 10 - 15 minutes before closing letting people know that they may not get to ride in the front row if they get in the line that late. They made an announcement around closing saying they were going to only run 3 more trains and people had to get move from the front row line into another row.

It was a really good trip to the park and I was glad I was able to get in a lot of rides in a little less than 4 1/2 hours.
Yoshi

Re: Great Adventure 7/29/13

Postby djw44 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 pm

Sounds nice and efficient. Always good when you visit a big park and it is like that.
djw44

Return to Road Trips