Haunt 2013

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Haunt 2013

Postby Hauntguy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:13 pm

It's already almost the end of June, and we are only really a full month away from Haunt construction season (most of what seems August into September). From the rumors, I've heard Death Trap is being retired, and a giant castle is being built in the empty lot to expand Age of Darkness. Can anyone confirm this?

I really hope Haunt doesn't continue to digress. Everyone I know mentions how much better Haunt was in the early years. I remember the first year of Haunt in 2008 and it seemed that every single attraction had a ton of actors and energy. Now, it seems every attraction lacks them as well as their motivation to scare. What do you guys think?
Hauntguy

Re: Haunt 2013

Postby Hooky965 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:05 pm

I'm a little surprised to hear that, but I guess I shouldn't be. I haven't been to the Haunt since I worked there in '08. Some of the posts here had indicated what you are stating, but I never really thought about it until now. I guess in my mind, despite the reports of increasingly large and more sophisticated attractions, I related all Haunt talk to what I had experienced in '08 and assumed that these attractions were still staffed by the legions of actors that I had seen going in and through the park at that time.

If what you are saying is true, it appears that perhaps a trade-off has happened for some reason. Perhaps they are not able to get the same numbers of people willing to work the haunt and instead have settled on making the attractions themselves more of a show, rather than the actors.

For my part, I can say that it was fun to work the haunt back then...the kids in costume did lot to make it that way.
Hooky965

Postby Hauntguy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:16 pm

NewsPlusNotes did an awesome behind the scenes look at Haunt VI, I'd definitely check it out. Looks like Age of Darkness and Headhunters are getting major upgrades, including a new castle and dragon for Age of Darkness and large new tiki hut props for Headhunters. Hopefully they can hire a good amount of monsters because Haunt at Dorney always seems to have so much potential every single year.
Hauntguy

Postby Yoshi » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:07 pm

I saw that White Water Landing is already closed for the season and there are tanks in the queue and where the loading area is there is a painted wall which is I guess part of the Haunt attraction. I was a little disappointed to see White Water Landing closed though since I usually never skip it when I am going to the WWK the same day.
Yoshi

Postby dp45879 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 pm

No truth here, but is it possible WWL closed early because there were problems? I was at the park Saturday and it was closed with operators in the station...again it's just an observation from one day. Anybody else been to the park recently?
dp45879

Postby jscll » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:58 am

When I first saw WWL down for the season, I presumed maintenance issues, (i.e. A pump's motor burnt out or another similar issue that has taken the ride down for multiple days at a time before) but when I talked to supervisors and managers they only stated that there was an "issue" with the ride and would not provide any more details other than the decision came from higher up in the company. Normally if it is a maintenance issue, they are very fast to clarify that it is just maintenance and no injuries. Does anyone know if WWL's sister Snake River Falls at Cedar Point is running?
jscll

Postby pc215 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:39 am

So Haunt's opening day is Friday September 13th. I never been to opening day for Haunt. Just wanted to know how the crowds are on the first night? Thinking of going since its pretty cool that it lands on Friday the 13th.
pc215

Postby jscll » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:28 am

Simply put, as haunt goes on, the crowds gets bigger. Saturdays are usually the busiest, and Fridays the crowd are usually not too bad, but sometimes there are allot of groups. If it is cold and rainy you will have the park to yourself. The first weekend is usually good if you do not want crowds, but all the new actors are still breaking into their new roles.
jscll

Postby scaresfan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:34 am

The first two weekends tend to be fine as crowds are smaller than the rest of the season. I find that although the actors aren't all fully into the characters yet, the energy levels are still high.

I'm a little surprised no Boo Blast events are listed yet, though. As much as I love the Haunt, the kids stuff earlier in the day helps with the rest of the families coming in.
scaresfan

Postby Yoshi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:11 pm

I noticed some more progress today since last Thursday. The pirate ship for Cut Throat Island is all set up and some more of Age of Darkness like the entrance is also set up.
Yoshi

Postby jscll » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:24 pm

As far as the shows go for this year for haunt, according to the parks haunt site, it seems that blood drums will be at coasters bandstand. I am wondering how well that will work considering how crowded their performances were last year. Center stage is being taken over by a show called witches brew, the site does not give much information on exactly what kind of show this is. I am very happy to see that they have brought back cast in bronze again. I am surprised, however, that is seems the theater is not being used for haunt this year.
jscll

Postby unicornmirage » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:55 am

I was at the park yesterday and got the opportunity to see rehearsal for witch's brew. It looks like it will be a good show. I am very surprised that they moved blood drums also. It is an extremely good show and does attract a large crowd. I have seen them many times last haunt and they were excellent every time! I can't wait to check out the new castle attraction. It looks very interesting. We will be there on Friday in full costume again this year!! Can't wait!!
unicornmirage

Postby MJHammer1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:41 am

So, has anyone gone yet this year? I finally made it out last night and while it was a brief visit I did get to check out the expanded Age of Darkness and Head Hunters. Both are vastly improved, and feature some rather elaborate sets, props, and animatronics.

Didn't get to experience most of the other attractions but things seemed to be pretty solid this year... what do you guys think?

Mike
Amusement Industry News and Notes:
http://www.newsplusnotes.com
MJHammer1

Postby Yoshi » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:37 pm

I noticed near the Wavepool they brought back 2 rides from Tot Spot for Boo Blast. One ride was Space Age, the other was the ride like Dumbo with an elephant and bee and other animals. Both were given Halloween names.
Yoshi

Postby bretizamazing » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:53 pm

Yoshi wrote:I noticed near the Wavepool they brought back 2 rides from Tot Spot for Boo Blast. One ride was Space Age, the other was the ride like Dumbo with an elephant and bee and other animals. Both were given Halloween names.

I was just going to post this. I think it was a good idea to bring them back. I was at the park yesterday and I went to Boo Blast around 4pm and I saw lots of kids riding them.
bretizamazing

Next

Return to General Discussion