Next 4 Years Prediction

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Re: Next 4 Years Prediction

Postby Yoshi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:24 am

If they did that, I'd also like to see the back entrance to WWK near Thunder Canyon always open when WWK is open. There are some times, especially early in the season for WWK where they keep that entrance closed and the only way to get to White Water Landing and Thunder Canyon is to go through the main entrance to WWK and past Talon and Wave Swinger.
Yoshi

Postby Hauntguy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Does anyone know if the new management believes enough in Dorney for a return on big investments or is it just going to be a continuation of the past? And has anyone heard anything about that 2015 coaster Screamscape rumored for us back in the summer?
Hauntguy

Postby jscll » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:46 am

Here is what I would like to see Dorney park do to the lower portion of the park, presented as a four year development plan.
Year one: Remove all the old picnic pavilions (except for the asylum) Extend the Zephyr's tracks (red) and add a duplicate train (perhaps with the old paint scheme). Add an Intamin ZacSpin model 50-282 (yellow) perpendicularly to Lincoln Ave. {Similar throughput to Stinger and Possessed with a capacity of 900 pph}. Continue the midway (white) passing north of the Asylum then bending south to the ZacSpin.
Year two: Reintroduce flying scooters to the park (green) {with an 85 ft. diameter, this circle is the correct size}. Add food and merchandise stands (cyan).
Year three: Add a Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter (blue). I believe such a ride would work perfectly for a midsize park like Dorney.
Year four: Add a GCI (purple), if placed where I marked, the land of the dinos would still be available for future expantion. Add a midway (also white) that crosses my proposed tracks, crosses the existing bridge, provides station access, and ultimately goes to the steal force plaza.
Note: I am not sure where the west boundary of the park is, there may be more land availible to the west of where I marked.
zephyr.jpg
zephyr.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
jscll

Postby FutureMan3 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Does anyone have some kind of map of the park with the height limits on it?
Specifically the area around Thunder Canyon. I think a family coaster could fit there easily and that would be my hope for the park for 2015.
FutureMan3

Postby jscll » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:15 pm

http://www.southwhitehall.com/zoning/zoningord.pdf
Pages 534 - 536 pretain to dorney park. A map is on page 536.
jscll

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:27 pm

I wouldn't count on any rides being built behind Thunder Canyon. There are houses just beyond the trees there, and they are very vocal in opposing park plans.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby strwrse1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:48 am

Yes, they are. Just look at Haunt this year.
strwrse1

Postby Hauntguy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:40 pm

So, the latest news I've heard about Dorney sounds pretty promising, but this is just speculation and don't know if any of these plans are set in stone. The latest future of Dorney is to be a three year plan that will majorly upgrade the waterpark, without a doubt making it one of the top waterparks on the east coast. Look for a removal of Thunder Canyon and a new rapids ride located in a park dead end we talked about (think of the worst park dead end). Essentially a relocated and improved TC. Look for speed slides and water works to still leave us, with a much large waterr fortress area in the former TC site. Eventually, the waterpark will push outwards in the parking lot with large bowl slides (something we greatly need). Like I said this is just speculation but sounds pretty good to me.
Hauntguy

Postby Yoshi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:22 pm

A new rapids ride would be good if it had better rafts and a better loading system. The one at Hershey was good with the continuous loading and the moving platform. The problem with Thunder Canyon is they don't come close to running at capacity. There have been times I have seen as few as 2 people in a raft even with a line. Maybe something like the 12 person rafts that some parks use would be better.
Yoshi

Postby strwrse1 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:19 pm

After working Thunder Canyon this year, I can tell you what part of the problem is when it coes to capacity. There is a weight limit roughly 800 lbs. per boat. This is why they try to have no more than 4 adults per boat or six kids/teens per boat. Any more and the boat gets too heavy & can hit the bottom, get caught on the rapids making apparatus, and flip the boat.
strwrse1

Postby jscll » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:08 pm

The main problem with Thunder Canyon's capacity is staffing issues, It seems every time I want to ride while there is a line they are only using 2 or 4 loading stations.
jscll

Postby strwrse1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Yes, that is an issue too. It doesn't help that it is probably the one ride in the park that takes the most staff to run it. It is a minimum of six people to run the ride. And the staff really have to get along as most days they are at minimum.
strwrse1

Postby dorneyparkrules » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Since I also worked at Thunder Canyon, the ride was very understaff and we could only run 2 lanes per boat pusher so yea only on special days we had all six open but what strwrse1 said is all true why we cant fill the boats and another things is guests stuff and sometimes the employee didn't get along and slowed down the flow but I enjoyed my first season there and cant wait for next season!!!
Former Dorney Park Employee
2013- Thunder Canyon
2014- Steel Force, Possessed, Monster, and Revolution
2015- Stinger, Cedar Creek Flyers, Revolution, and Steel Force
2017- Possessed and Monster
dorneyparkrules

Postby Kozmo 1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:43 am

I would rule out possibility of a new Rapids ride, Hershey already removed theirs and I wouldn't expect Dorney's to stay forever either. I would think at this point these rides are becoming a bigger liability than years ago. Possibility of bad accidents if boats flip plus how people are getting increasingly dumber and aren't locked into the ride.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Previous

Return to General Discussion