Dorney Park 2014

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Re: Dorney Park 2014

Postby The Revenge » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:27 pm

Velocity301 wrote:Rumor has it that we're getting a GCI for 2015. However, I'm skeptical seeing that corporate always gives us something used from other CF parks.

By now you can pretty much put the puzzle pieces together. From my understanding, they will be removing Thunder Canyon and relocating it or getting a new rapids ride that will be put next to Thunder Creek Mountain and use the space where Swan Boats and the race track was. Possibly also use the space north of Hydra and behind White Water Landing that use to be occupied by Hercules. They will put a new GCI Woodie named "FURY" where Thunder Canyon was. Obviously I may be wrong but seems like that is what all the clues point to.
The Revenge

Postby Velocity301 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:21 pm

The Revenge wrote:
Velocity301 wrote:Rumor has it that we're getting a GCI for 2015. However, I'm skeptical seeing that corporate always gives us something used from other CF parks.

By now you can pretty much put the puzzle pieces together. From my understanding, they will be removing Thunder Canyon and relocating it or getting a new rapids ride that will be put next to Thunder Creek Mountain and use the space where Swan Boats and the race track was. Possibly also use the space north of Hydra and behind White Water Landing that use to be occupied by Hercules. They will put a new GCI Woodie named "FURY" where Thunder Canyon was. Obviously I may be wrong but seems like that is what all the clues point to.

As much as I would love that, I can tell you that Thunder Canyon isn't being removed/relocated. Thunder Canyon is still getting good numbers during the warmer days and they would prefer to keep it next to WWK.

The new GCI is probably going behind The Rev (where Gravewalkers is), as they've said that big changes will be coming to HAUNT in the next 2 years. Also how are you certain that it will be called "Fury"? Just curious. But the area next to WWL and Hydra is currently used as a Maintenance area and is too close to residences, the township would never approve it.

However, there is talk about a new flat ride or two where TC Speedway was, as well as a Sky Screamer behind Stinger within the near future.
Velocity301

Postby The Revenge » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:44 pm

I am just speculating of course based off changes and such. And I don't mean the maintenance area next to White Water Landing I am talking about to the left off Hydra by Steel Force's helix that grass area that was once Hercules turn around was. And Cedar Fair just trademarked the name Fury a couple months ago, obviously don't know what ride will receive that name just seems to kind of go along with the ride names already at Dorney. I would like to see expansion on that side of the park but the area you are talking about I thought there were flooding or foundation problems in that area, so supports for major attractions wouldn't hold there? Or so I thought I remember hearing that a couple years back. I also think where Thunder Canyon is would be perfect for a woodie as I have always felt the park is so unbalanced with 4 coasters basically right next to each other.
The Revenge

Postby Velocity301 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm

The Revenge wrote:I would like to see expansion on that side of the park but the area you are talking about I thought there were flooding or foundation problems in that area, so supports for major attractions wouldn't hold there? Or so I thought I remember hearing that a couple years back. I also think where Thunder Canyon is would be perfect for a woodie as I have always felt the park is so unbalanced with 4 coasters basically right next to each other.

The entire bottom half of the park is flood prone. The Scrambler is often submerged in water up to your knees during heavy storms. And I agree that Alpha (Stinger, Possessed, Monster, Zephyr, Road Rally, The Whip, The Rev, and Steel Force) has too many coasters for one area and I would love to see Echo or Delta get another one where Thunder Canyon is. However, I don't think the park really cares about balancing the ride groups. Especially with the changes they made to them for the 2014 season.
Velocity301

Postby Hauntguy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:37 pm

I had heard the original plan was to move Thunder Canyon down behind Demon Drop where the TC Speedway lot currently resides. Whether it be Thunder Canyon itself or a brand new rapids ride, I have no idea. The second part to this rumor was an expansion of WWK into the former Thunder Canyon site, with a much newer and larger Island Water Works being put there as well as more room for water park expansion.

A part of me wants to believe this since the water park is such a huge draw and is hands down the best in the region. After reading Mike's great report on NPN on all the water park improvements that come along with Snake Pit, it seems Cedar Fair wants to continue to make Wildwater Kingdom better year by year.

The other part wants to think that with Island Water Works being refurbished as well as the entire rest of the water park, that 2015 will bring us a large investment to Dorney, that being the GCI woodie. I just have a hard time seeing it fit anywhere else but where Dino's Alive is right now in the wooded area. The area up by Thunder Canyon has very strict height limits set by South Whitehall so its just hard to see a 90-105 foot woodie being put there.
Hauntguy

Postby Velocity301 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:45 pm

The entire park has a height restriction of 200 feet. It's a real drag because it's the main reason we can't compete with Hershey and Six Flags.

But Cedar Fair came out with a 5 year plan for Dorney back in 2012 and is beginning to really invest in Dorney, so the next few years will see very big expansions and improvements.
Velocity301

Postby jscll » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:48 pm

South Whitehall Township will not allow a coaster (or any other tall structure for that matter) to be built where Thunder Canyon is. The following document gives all of the details. You will probably only be interested in pages 76(marked as page 538)-79(marked as page 541.)
http://www.southwhitehall.com/zoning/zoningord.pdf
A coaster could go in behind part of White Water Landing (the station could be in the restricted height zone) and proceed down the hill and over part of the lake.
Making such a design harder is the fall zone clause. "Notwithstanding any other provision of this ordinance, the height of any future commercial amusement must always be less than the distance from such amusement to the nearest residential property or public road" Section 12-28(E)(2) of the zoning ordinance linked to above. Another obstacle is the high voltage power lines that go over this corner of the park. The only type of coaster that I can think of that can work with these restrictions is a flying coaster.
In the lower part of the park flooding is a major issue every couple of years, and any attraction put there either needs to be able to move (like the cars on road rally) or not be affected by flooding (like the roller coasters.) Foundations are not much of a issue because they can be sunk to bedrock if necessary.
Several flat rides can easily fit down by where the speedway is/was, especially if Demon Drop is sent to Michigan's Adverture (I credit that idea to nrj140.)
The circle behind stinger is probably for a set of Larson Flying Scooters. The circle is exactly 85 feet across, witch is exacly what the flying scooters need. If a tower ride was to go in, the entire area would need to torn up to put in the massive foundation needed for such an attraction. Not to mention it would look odd to put a massive 200+ foot tower next to Stinger.
If the park is to get a GCI for next year, (I have a little hope with the new management) I would expect it to go into the forested land bordered by the fish hatchery, the creek, Dorney park road, and the field behind the Zephyr's turnaround. That's probably three or four acres of forrested land that Dinosaurs Alive does not take up.
Now back to the subject at hand, which is park projects that will be ready this season, the refurbishment of the Island Water Works has begun. In the picture on NPN, a bunch of roof pieces have been removed, as well as alot of the lower wall pieces.
jscll

Postby Velocity301 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:34 am

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but Lightning Falls is getting an actual queue line this year rather than that God awful staircase.

The locker area and pavilions are also getting torn out and replaced with newer lockers. The pavilions will be replaced with newer ones as well as some gift shops, eateries, etc.
Velocity301

Postby jscll » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 pm

A few days ago, Dorney announced that the Boogie Down Band is returning for the parks 130th anniversary.
https://www.dorneypark.com/things-to-do/live-entertainment
This raises two questions:
1. When did the original Boogie Down Band last perform in the park?
2. Why does the Boogie Down Band only perform June 28 - August 17, even though Kings Dominion's Clown Band is already performing? (This question is more rhetorical than anything else.)
jscll

Postby dorneydude » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Meanwhile...I saw a sign saying Knoebel's flying turns is finally open...I guess it quietly opened last October. Further, on their website there is a graphic for 2015 showing some sort of new coaster with a Top Hat...if you are looking for something different..something to think about...
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby LPFan93 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:52 am

dorneydude wrote:Meanwhile...I saw a sign saying Knoebel's flying turns is finally open...I guess it quietly opened last October. Further, on their website there is a graphic for 2015 showing some sort of new coaster with a Top Hat...if you are looking for something different..something to think about...

Flying Turns did open at the end of last year and Impulse is the coaster you're referring to for 2015. The Bumper Boats and Boat Tag will be removed at the end of this year to make way for it.
Here's more info from the park: "The design incorporates approximately 1985 feet of track and an approximately 98 foot tall lift hill. 3 eight rider vehicles will achieve speeds of up to 56 mph. 90 degree free fall drop, cobra roll, loop, immelman, helix, airtime hills are all incorporated in the ride. Riders are seated in two rows of 4 facing forward with the back row seats elevated above the front row seats. Manufacturer Zierer."
LPFan93

Postby bretizamazing » Mon May 05, 2014 5:02 pm

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional- ... r/25822034
Looks like we won't be seeing Stinger operating for a while. Riders were now injured.
bretizamazing

Postby LPFan93 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:58 am

bretizamazing wrote:http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/two-injured-on-dorney-parks-stinger-coaster/25822034
Looks like we won't be seeing Stinger operating for a while. Riders were now injured.

I think it's time they get rid of it.
LPFan93

Postby PepsiFan01 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:00 pm

What a headache for DP. It has been nothing but a problem since it arrived.
PepsiFan01

Postby Hauntguy » Thu May 08, 2014 12:33 am

At this point, what is the harm of removing it? More room for expansion. This thing has been nothing but negative to the park. Hopefully this was the last incident where Dorney gets another used ride.
Hauntguy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion