ALFUNDO

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

ALFUNDO

Postby sueliznic » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:18 pm

I grew up in the 50's and 60's in the LEHIGH Valley, and Dorney Park was a mainstay place to go to visit for many reasons. Birthdays, Graduations, End of year school parties. ALFUNDO was the first, sweet friendly face I remember at Dorney Park and for several years someone dressed as ALFUNDO would travel through the park and greet all the kids. When kids brought their report cards to the park after school let out, there were special prizes and goodies for kids with good report cards. A's were awarded by ALFUNDO Himself. It was a wonderful experience, a part of my life and a part of the History of Allentown. The very name AL FUN DO represents all of the people of Allentown as it stands for ALlentown has FUN at DOrney. It isn't just any old clown face. It has significance and deep meaning, as well as belonging to Dorney park. Dorney Park is not Dorney Park without ALFUNDO. It is just another amusement park of no significance without ALFUNDO.. ALFUNDO is the trademark of Dorney Park. Any one, no matter who you are , when you bought the park ,you bought the trademark of ALFUNDO as well, and have no right to destroy something so precious, discount the significance and deny it is the reason for Dorney Park to be Dorney park. Especially for the 125th Anniversary or any Anniversary ALFUNDO was always the main attraction at Dorney park. If you claim more than 100 years existence , you must include ALFUNDO as well. I am 62 yrs old now, have 2 Master degrees, and 2 BA degrees. I was one of the first COEDS to graduate from LEHIGH UNIVERSITY. This year is my 40th reunion. ALFUNDO was the reason I strove for higher education and gave me and 1000's of kids a reason to excel as well as entertainment. PLEASE BRING BACK THE ONE FIGURE WHO WAS SO INSTRUMENTAL, INSPIRATIONAL AND WONDERFUL to everyone for many decades. PLEASE BRING BACK ALFUNDO> Heritage matters./
sueliznic

Re: ALFUNDO

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks for that post Sue. I came of age at the park in a latter day (70's & 80's), and I understand what you mean, as he was still the face of the park at that time as well. I think that what a large portion of "us", that being the folks who remember when the park was pretty much Allentown's (or perhaps more appropriately during my day, the Lehigh Valley's) amusement park. I think that you would agree that those were simpler times, and it was reflected in the nature of the park as well. Speaking for my time, DP had thrill rides, but they weren't really on the same level as the rides at Hershey, or Great Adventure (two decidedly more "corporate" parks). The fact of the matter is that the very culture that was behind those parks is what made DP what it is today. They were successful...they drew crowds from metropolitan areas who were willing to drop a bunch of money for a day on those rides.

What does that have to do with Alfundo?

Plenty.

He is the posterboy of that park...the one that you and I remember. As the park seems to always be a bit behind the neighbors, in spite of their best efforts, I think that there was a very conscious decision made to try to separate the new park from the old. Alfundo was a victim of that separation. As you point out, the name itself is derivative of "Allentown". Well, the park's position and scope now is significantly wider, as it draws from both the New York and Philadelphia metropolitan areas. The folks that come in from these places don't really care much about the Allentown side of the park...they just want to have fun (and spend money).

In saying that, I would be very, very surprised if park management would ever bring the character back, even for an anniversary. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that management doesn't really have the background that "we" do. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that many of the park's guests really wouldn't get it. In any case, I think that the best that any of "us" can hope for is perhaps a plaque, a sign, or a subtle appearance in an unexpected place.

The last one has actually happened. In the original "Kill hill" haunt attraction (one of the clown-themed haunts), Alfundo was actually represented in one of the scenes.

Remember the golden days of the park. Keep that memory. Walk around the park now and look for those little places that you know about...the ones that many of the current guests won't remember. There are still some suggestions there of the things that were there once upon a time. Just remember that these memories are yours to keep...the memories of the young guests who go through the park now are theirs to keep, and it stands to reason that they will probably have fond memories of the things that are currently there and won't be in the course of time
Hooky965

Postby strwrse1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:54 am

The last one has actually happened. In the original "Kill hill" haunt attraction (one of the clown-themed haunts), Alfundo was actually represented in one of the scenes.

You are actually wrong about that being the last time. He was also represented in the entrance room to Psycho Circus. Most didn't realize it because of the transition from the bright lights outside to the dark inside. But the first room where they did the speech, he was right on the door in front of you.
strwrse1

Postby Hooky965 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:07 am

I think I wasn't quite clear enough in what I said. "last one" was referencing a point in the prior sentence, specifically the part about appearing in an unexpected place. What you are describing is another instance of that.

In saying that, I wasn't aware that he appeared in there, mainly because I haven't gone into PC. I'm actually kinda taken back by the fact that the park is using Alfundo as a kind of "Easter egg" in attractions like these. While it's not an outright overture of tribute, it's a sly kind of tip of the hat that's only visible to those who have some background on the subject. It's kinda cool.
Hooky965

Postby Christina87 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:09 am

I wonder what their actual reason was for getting rid of Alfundo. Someone said maybe to separate the park from old park and new park, but I don't see why they would want to get rid of their trademark character, even for that reason. I also know that he was gone long before CF took over. He was gone before I was even born I think, and definitely before I started going to the park when I was 4 or 5. I've only seen Alfundo in pictures, but even I can appreciate his rich history. Even I feel sad that he is gone. I doubt we will ever get him back, even for an anniversary, but a plaque or something would be nice. RIP Alfundo.

EDIT he was there when I was born, but left when I was too small to remember. Also, it was CF that took him down (at least the sign).
Last edited by Christina87 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christina87

Postby Christina87 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:11 am

I also found this.

The sign doesn't even exist anymore. It fell apart as they were taking it down.

http://articles.mcall.com/2002-03-17/ne ... ar-fair-lp
Christina87

Postby PepsiFan01 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Check out Mike Fehnel, the GM, mentioning Alfundo, and where he will be this season:

https://twitter.com/mikefehnel/status/4 ... 1083532288
PepsiFan01

Postby MarinersMunchies » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:16 pm

They creep this forum.
MarinersMunchies

Postby Christina87 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Ha! I see him where it says Thunderhawk. I wonder if he's just on the map to play with our heads or if they are putting up some kind of statue or something of him.
Christina87

Postby Hooky965 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Alfundo + peeling beige Thunderhawk = bad mojo
Alfundo + beautiful freshly painted yellow Thunderhawk (renamed as "The Coaster") - final brake run = pure magic

Hey, a fella can dream, right? 8)
Hooky965

Postby jscll » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:21 pm

Apparently Michael Fehnel likes to give us teasers:
https://twitter.com/mikefehnel/status/460894742457622529/photo/1
Anyone have any clue (other than the park staff who are hopefully are reading these forums) where this picture was taken?
More than thirty six hours is a long time to wait to find out...
jscll

Postby LPFan93 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:36 am

I'm not sure where that is, but if I had to guess, it looks like it could be on the floor inside Coasters.
LPFan93

Postby PepsiFan01 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Not sure exactly. But I think it is very nice that the park is honoring the history of DP. I credit Mike with that.
PepsiFan01

Postby BigDorneyFan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:35 pm

New addition to the Thunderhawk station. Very nicely done!
Attachments
Alfundo.jpg
Alfundo
Alfundo.jpg (35.72 KiB) Viewed 10065 times
BigDorneyFan

Postby BigDorneyFan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:37 pm

The balls above Alfundo light up in a chasing fashion.
Attachments
img20140815_193619.jpg
img20140815_193619.jpg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 10065 times
BigDorneyFan

Next

Return to General Discussion