Future of the Zephyr

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Future of the Zephyr

Postby RollerCoasting » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm sure I speak for most of us DP enthusiasts when I say that I appreciate the Zephyr and it's history. It's a pretty unique ride and an enjoyable one too. I just can't help but think of what can be done to help improve it though.

I would really love to see the original paint scheme returned to it rather than the odd purple and yellow. A second train, reopening of the second station and extended route would also be a nice refresh for this classic ride. The route also can be made more scenic. I'm disappointed every time I ride it just to look at a fence on the left side. Hopefully the future sees some changes for the better for the Zephyr. Your thoughts?
RollerCoasting

Re: Future of the Zephyr

Postby Kozmo 1 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:08 am

I agree totally. The purple color is getting old. Either back to silver or something other than purple at least. Silver w/red stripe would be cool. I even sorta liked the blue with white trim they had before the purple.

And yes, the scenery has really gone down hill over the years. Starting with the filling in of the creek and the removal of the upper lake. I wonder how/if it could be expanded. I don't ever see it happening, but maybe. They haven't torn down the CCPL station yet, so maybe there's hope of it reopening at some point. Especially if they would really improve and expand that corner of the park. Don't know if they can do anything with the CCPL site or not, but there's tons of space down that way. I'd also hope at some point dinos leaves and can free up more space back there.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Hooky965 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Completely agree on changing the paint. I have no idea why they went with the "barney" scheme to begin with. I can't recall anything that it fit with at the time that it happened, and it's not exactly improving with age. I'd be good with either silver or white.

As for the ride itself, it's unfortunately misplaced now. It used to have a reason to go where it did, even when the station was closed. It circled back to the old pools/whale boats/seals, and going around the creek when it was deeper and had the skooter boats running was at least something. Now? Fence, a shallow creek, and awkwardly empty space. I really don't think that there's much that can be done with the run, as the park probably looks at this thing as something that doesn't cost that much to run for what it does, so they'll keep it like it is. It could be much more, but I'm not optimistic.
Hooky965

Postby RollerCoasting » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:14 am

To theme it like a train in the early 1930's would be really neat. Maybe even adding a replica California Zephyr as a second train too.
RollerCoasting

Postby mandylouwho » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:44 pm

We just took this loop the other day. With Stinger closed its just creepy. You really don't see anything. I think maybe an audio while its running would be good...telling you the history of the zephyr and what each spot used to hold...
~Mandy
"If you can't think of something nice to say, come sit by me."
mandylouwho

Return to General Discussion