Wierd Question for you Coaster Addicts

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Wierd Question for you Coaster Addicts

Postby mandylouwho » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:57 pm

I am a HUGE fan of theme parks...grew up next to GA and the boardwalk. Jet Star was my very first roller coaster.

Thing is I need to get passed my fears of them. I LOVE THEM. I have not been on one in a long time, they scare the shit out of me, which is a good thing, I guess when looking for a good coaster. I have a huge knowledge of them, as the designs fascinate me. My husband is fearless on them. I wish I could be more like that.

Any tips on how to get over the initial fear of just getting on?
~Mandy
"If you can't think of something nice to say, come sit by me."
mandylouwho

Re: Wierd Question for you Coaster Addicts

Postby Hooky965 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:42 pm

There's a lot of potential fear that people have in regard to thrill rides, especially coasters. Some of the common ones are heights/falling, mechanical failure (getting stuck), speed and motion shifts, etc. Can you be a little more specific about what bothers you about these rides?
Hooky965

Postby mandylouwho » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:10 pm

Getting stuck is one. Having to walk down from something as high as Steel Force would paralyze me. I have a mild fear of heights. I can handle it, but I hate going up.

I know how safe these things are, and I do a lot of research on rides, ride makers, park stats, etc. (Its just something I do since I have kids now.) I avoid carnivals, etc. because of their bad reputations for accidents.

Thing is, once I do go on the ride, of course I love it. Its just getting passed that initial anxiety.

Pills maybe? Ugh.
~Mandy
mandylouwho

Postby Yoshi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 am

I would start with a small coaster like Woodstock's Express and then Wild Mouse and then Thunderhawk. If you can handle those 3 coasters then I would try Steel Force. Even though it is the tallest and fastest in the park, its not an intense ride. Same thing with Hydra, it goes upside down a lot but isn't forceful.
Yoshi

Postby mandylouwho » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Yoshi, I have done all three of those, no problem. I like roller coasters, I just wish I wasn't such a mess before I go on one.

Thanks for the advice. :) I think I will try Hydra....stay tuned. LOL.
~Mandy
mandylouwho

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:32 pm

As far as getting "stuck", keep in mind the ride is essentially never "stuck", just stopped. Even though you may not be used to it happening, it is not at all unusual for roller coasters to stop unexpectedly on the brakes or on the lift hill if the ride's control system decides it is necessary. These functions of the control system are tested every morning. Catwalks and stairs are walked by ride crews every morning as well to make sure they are clear and safe for use if an evacuation is necessary. If one happens, ride staff and supervisors are well trained to deal with these situations and help everyone safely exit the ride.

Basically, while a ride being stopped suddenly may seem scary and unusual, it is supposed to do that to prevent potentially bad things from happening. Even though you're not used to it happening, the ride staff are ready for it and to help get you safely back on the ground and on with your day.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby mandylouwho » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:06 am

dptalon135 wrote:As far as getting "stuck", keep in mind the ride is essentially never "stuck", just stopped. Even though you may not be used to it happening, it is not at all unusual for roller coasters to stop unexpectedly on the brakes or on the lift hill if the ride's control system decides it is necessary. These functions of the control system are tested every morning. Catwalks and stairs are walked by ride crews every morning as well to make sure they are clear and safe for use if an evacuation is necessary. If one happens, ride staff and supervisors are well trained to deal with these situations and help everyone safely exit the ride.

Basically, while a ride being stopped suddenly may seem scary and unusual, it is supposed to do that to prevent potentially bad things from happening. Even though you're not used to it happening, the ride staff are ready for it and to help get you safely back on the ground and on with your day.

Funnily enough, I bought this book for my mother once about flying. She is white knuckle petrified (where it doesn't bother me). The book essentially explains the functions of the plane, the noises it makes, why it can drop in altitude (you hit 'hot' pockets of air on occasion, does not mean your going to meet your untimely death). She has a control issue, is what we figured out, and while planes aren't my nemesis, especially since I know the workings of them, and, well, flying somewhere means traveling, which is an enjoyable thing. I will try and keep these things in mind about getting "stuck". Maybe it is a control thing for me, and letting that go is the first step.
~Mandy
mandylouwho

Postby Hooky965 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:51 am

It seems like you're on the right track (bad pun). DPTalon did an excellent job with his post, and that's a really good explanation of the type of procedures that are in place for your safety. The other things to consider are ride cycles, engineering, and maintenance (which he touched on as well). All of the rides in the park have been through hundreds of thousands (maybe millions in some cases?) of ride cycles without relevant incident. The engineering behind these rides is unbelievable....between the testing, simulation, construction, quality checks, and ongoing state safety checks, they are remarkable machines that are engineered to the core to provide a thrilling but overwhelmingly safe experience for riders. Finally, maintenance. These rides are checked thoroughly every day before anyone ever rides them. If any issues are found, they are taken care of promptly, or shut down until they can be addressed and considered safe. Every offseason, the passenger trains are removed, completely disassembled, and checked from the frame outward. Every nut, bolt, screw, and fastener is scrutinized and/or replaced. These checks happen throughout the day as well, as all trains and track equipment are carefully monitored. Overall, I'd be comfortable saying that you have a higher chance of something bad happening to you at home than you would as a result of riding one of these coasters.
Hooky965

Return to General Discussion