Why No Holiday Celebration?

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Why No Holiday Celebration?

Postby mandylouwho » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:08 pm

In all my theme park travels, almost all of them have a holiday celebration of some kind. Even if it's just lights.

I always wondered why Dorney did not. For those who have grown up coming here (I grew up going to GA), have they done it in the past?

Is it not worth the time/money for them?
~Mandy
"If you can't think of something nice to say, come sit by me."
mandylouwho

Re: Why No Holiday Celebration?

Postby Yoshi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:31 pm

I think there are a few reasons they don't have a Holiday event.

Cedar Fair parks even in regions of the country where it's warmer don't seem to be open past late October/early November except for Knott's that is open all year.

Other parks, like Hershey are a resort and besides the park there is Chocolate World, the Hershey Museum, the hotels and other things to keep people in the area and attendance at the park good.

Dorney doesn't have any indoor rides and only 1 indoor show venue. In the colder regions where the parks have Holiday events, they usually have at least a few indoor rides that are running.

I'd like to see Dorney open in November and December even if it was a limited ride selection. All they need is 1 non kiddie coaster running in addition to the flat rides and that would be enough for me. For years, I keep hoping Hershey will decide to run a coaster for Christmas Candylane and it never happens. Hopefully next year with the new indoor spinning coaster, they will open it for the event. Same thing with Great Adventure, they have 2 indoor coasters, an indoor theater and Houdini (Vekoma Madhouse) for indoor attractions.
Yoshi

Postby mandylouwho » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:00 pm

I think most of the planet snoopy rides could run in colder weather, maybe the scrambler, whip, carnival games, carousel, (hang time?), the train, monster, cars, and one coaster. I think it would be a cool experience covered in lights.

I am interested to see if Hershey opens the indoor coaster during candy lane.

BG has a great holiday celebration, but like you said, they are a resort area, complete with Williamsburg and a Great Wolf Lodge. :)
~Mandy
mandylouwho

Postby Hooky965 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:08 am

I thought the same thing a few years back, but realized that there really isn't anything that Dorney has, either in the park or the immediate area, that is all that compelling (apart from the lights on the Parkway). I hadn't considered the overall CF position on that front, but it stands to reason that they're not all that interested in it. Basically, if they think that it won't be profitable, it won't happen. As mentioned here, Hershey has a lot more things going on around the park which lend themselves to the holiday theme, so they can get away with doing a very limited park offering, counting on the rest of the town to pick up the rest of the draw. On a sidenote, (and I admit that I haven't checked on Hershey's park opening in this regard), but the idea of a coaster...any coaster....being open throughout the holiday season isn't something that is done in this climate. There's probably a lot of reasons for that, not the least of which is (in terms of the steel rides) the rides really aren't designed to operate in those kind of cold temperatures. Yes, it flirts with low temps in Haunt, but nothing close to what could happen as you get deep into the holiday season.
Hooky965

Postby mandylouwho » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:57 am

Hooky, I dont know much about roller coaster mechanics, (Im an artist and a writer :lol: ) but that makes a lot of sense!
~Mandy
mandylouwho

Postby nathanaelerik » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:16 pm

I think Hershey Park does a great job opening rides for their holiday festivities. The Claw is open, and is awesome. Their flat ride line up is pretty good for winter operations and Im sure once lafftrak is finished itll become one of the rides.

I really enjoy their christmas event.
nathanaelerik

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:10 pm

mandylouwho wrote:Hooky, I dont know much about roller coaster mechanics, (Im an artist and a writer :lol: ) but that makes a lot of sense!

Cool....I'm a graphic designer/marketing guy myself. I didn't know about it either until I did a little moonlighting at the park during the first haunt in 2008. During one of the last nights, we had a pretty cold night...temp dropped into the upper 30s. Possessed (or Voodoo back then) had to be taken offline because of concerns like these, and didn't re-open for the remainder of Haunt. The rest of the steel coasters were fine, but I think that Thunderhawk shut down that night as well (it was back up the next day though)
Hooky965

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:20 pm

I should probably also say that I wish that there was some way that the coasters either here or at Hershey would be open during this time. I don't exactly understand why I have the desire to ride these things in the cold, but I do. Maybe it might have something to do with my fascination on having to wipe away ice-crusted tears after riding (not emotional ones, just a function of the cold and wind 8) )
Hooky965

Postby mandylouwho » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:12 am

All the reason to build an indoor coaster! :D

Thank you for the insight. I have YET to get to a proper haunt. Having kids that are small and limited babysitting, I have not been to one. (Think Boo Blast over, and over, an over :shock: )

I just dread the end of park season. I hate it, knowing it will be until April I will see it again. Having holiday celebrations gives you a peek into what to look forward to, you know?

I want to get to BGW this year, but its not in my budget with three kids and Christmas coming. :cry:
~Mandy
mandylouwho

Postby Yoshi » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Now with Great Adventure announcing a holiday event that leaves both of Dorney's main competitors open in November and December. Unlike Hershey, Great Adventure is planning to have outdoor coasters running with Nitro, Batman, Green Lantern and Superman in addition to the indoor coasters, The Dark Knight and Skull Mountain.

I'd really like to see Dorney consider a holiday event with coasters maybe for 2016 if Holiday In The Park does well at Great Adventure (I'm expecting and hoping it will be very successful).
Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:49 am

I have been to Holiday in the Park a few times, it makes me want to see something similar at Dorney even more. Hershey has 4 coasters running, Great Adventure has 7. I'm not sure what the temperature requirement is for the coasters but at Great Adventure Sunday night it was 33 out and everything was running with close to full trains. Crowds overall have been very good even with the $49.99 gate price (although it's likely a lot of passholders attending). The weekend of the 12th and 13th the park was so crowded at 6 there was a long line to enter and the kiddie rides that never have waits had full queues with the coasters getting up to an hour wait at night.

I guess the other issue is if the market is too crowded now for Dorney to open. Hershey, Great Adventure, Sesame Place, Storybook Land and Dutch Wonderland are all open maybe 6 parks is too many although 3 of them are kids parks.
Yoshi

Return to General Discussion