Possible new employee

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Possible new employee

Postby Coastergirl76 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:18 pm

Hey there. I'm look to talk to recent employees about what it's like working at dorney. I have a few questions. What is it like? What are the general ages of people working there? How do I get hired?! I applied and a manager has reviewed my application. What are the hours and pay? Promotions. Is it hard to get promoted? Uniforms? International students. Are there any? Basically I just want someone to give me a full run down
Coastergirl76

Re: Possible new employee

Postby jscll » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:13 pm

It has been a few years since I have worked for the park, so keep in mind some things I say may have changed. If anyone reading this finds something in error/changed, please let me know.

As far as getting hired, if you are called in for an interview, you are almost hired. You will be given directions to the employee entrance. When you arrive, park in the turnaround/pickup circle (you will not be allowed to drive into the employee parking until you are hired). The security guard at the gate will direct you where to go. Show up to the interview on time (Arrive at the employee entrance 15 minutes or so before the interview time). Dress professionally (If in doubt, overdress [You want to look at least as good as you would while working]). Talk to the managers with the same professionalism you would talk to a guest (sir or ma'am as appropriate never hurts). If all goes well, you will be given a job offer pending a drug test.

All uniform items must be purchased from the park. They have fitting rooms and will not issue items until they check the uniform fits. Any tattoos must be covered. You will not be hired if you have tattoos on the neck or face or if your ears are gauged. Employees are only allowed to smoke in the employee designated area, even when they are off the clock.

If you get hired full time, expect to work six days a week. During most of the season expect to work six to eight hours a day. It is often possible to get extra hours, especially during the late season (If you work during the Haunt, you will have the opportunity to work thirty-five hours in three days.

It is possible to get promoted to a supervisory position in the first year, although not very likely (returning employees normally fill all the open positions).

There are International employees. The average employee is 16-25, although there are plenty of older employees, including a few who take it as a retirement job. Pay is not that much over minimum wage, and seasonal amusement establishments are exempt from overtime laws. You will be paid more if you are a flex employee (meaning they can flex your schedule, even at the last minute, including extending your shift).

Working at an amusement park is a hard, but fun job. It is an easy job to keep as long as you do your job (show up on time, be professional to guests, follow all procedures, do not post anything negative on social media, and do not under any circumstances post anything online that has not been made public yet [like if we are getting that GCI]). You will be allowed in the park to play whenever you are not working (out of uniform, of course, and employees are not allowed to play games that prizes are awarded). You also get free admission to all the other Cedar Fair parks, as well as admission to other parks free or steeply discounted (the list is posted in the employee break room).

If you have any more questions, or I was not clear about anything, please let me know.
jscll

Postby coasterluver » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:56 am

jscll did a pretty good job at explaining it all! To add a few things and my own personal thoughts...

1. Whats it like?

I personally loved the time I spent working at the park, with a few small exceptions. What department you work in will greatly change your experience. For example, I rarely ever found employees in foods who liked their jobs, but employees in Park Ops were pretty satisfied.

2. What are the general ages of people working there?

This is also department specific. jscll's answer of 16-25 is a pretty good park wide estimate, but some departments tend to hire older or younger employees. For example, a majority of the foods department are 14/15 year old (we would call them "red tags" because of the color of their nametags) because that is one of the only departments that will hire them, whereas Park Ops is mainly 18+, with a few 16/17 year olds (they can't operate rides, just attend, so they don't hire many "yellow tags (16/17year olds)" for rides. Water park is mostly 16-21 and the older folks tend to go towards Merchandise, Admissions, etc.

3. How do I get hired?

jscll explained that perfectly

4. I applied and a manager has reviewed my application.

Don't worry if they don't call back right away. They usually like to call back returning employees first before new employees. If you don't get a call soon, call the HR department. It will let them know your interested and make you more enticing.

5. What are the hours and pay?

jscll said it all basically. The only thing I want to add to what he said is that if you say you want to be "flex", make sure you mean it. It may be an extra $0.15 an hour but is it worth it to be at the parks beck and call all the time? Flex basically means you can be scheduled 9am-5pm, but end up working 9am-11pm, and you cannot say no, as it is a job requirement.

6.Promotions. Is it hard to get promoted?

Depends on your department, and your age. They don't like to hire minors as supervisors because supervisors are usually required to work long hours that minors can't work. If you are a non-minor, you chances increase majorly because any manager will hire a non-minor over a minor, no matter how much experience the minor has. For example, I know people in the department I worked in who got promoted less than a month of starting, just because she was 21 and everyone else who applied for the position were minors.

7. Uniforms?

Only thing to add to what jscll said is that uniforms are EXPENSIVE. They get deducted from your paycheck, and they usually won't tell you how much it is either. Whenever I asked, "how much is my shirt" I'd get the answer, "I have no idea", then see on my paycheck that it was $30 or something crazy like that. Expect to spend at least one full paycheck on uniforms.

8. International students. Are there any?

Yes, in some departments. Internationals usually will only work in the Operations division, and I rarely ever see them in cash handling positions. Internationals are one of the greatest parts of the job because you make so many great friends and learn so much from people from other countries.

Over the seasons, I have seen the good, the bad, the great, the fantastic, the horrible, and everything in between as have many other people on this site. So if you have any further questions, please let us know! I hope I helped you out! Thanks!
coasterluver

Postby dorneyparkrules » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:44 pm

I have worked at Dorney for the past two seasons 2013 and 2014 and I have really enjoyed my two seasons at Dorney you really get to meet really nice co workers and internationals I have worked in Park ops
Current Dorney Park Employee
2013- Thunder Canyon
2014- Steel Force, Possessed, Monster, and Revolution
2015- Stinger, Cedar Creek Flyers, Revolution, and Steel Force
2017- Possessed and Monster
dorneyparkrules

Postby Hooky965 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:23 am

It isn't required, but it helps if you have either a love for, and preferably a curiosity about the park. The former will help keep you in check during times that you might not be having a great day (that happens everywhere, not just DP), and the latter is what will keep you from wondering what better paying pursuits you might have chosen for the summer. The pay, of course, isn't going to make you rich, but for the person who might have a curiosity to see what is behind the scenes, the experience can make up for that a bit.

In other areas, bear in mind that apart from very few jobs, you are going to be around people. These people are guests, and in a larger sense, they are customers. Your job ultimately is to keep them happy as best you can, and within the guidelines of the park. If you are one that isn't happy unless you are pushing boundaries and living outside the lines, the experience is probably not going to be a good fit. Also keep in mind that you are going to see people at their best and at their worst. That's probably true in virtually any job that involves the general public, but the twist here is that in this case, the guests have already paid for the product by the time that you are in contact with them. This leads to a overriding air of entitlement that is always at or near the surface. That's fair because it's true. The balance comes in being able to deliver the experience that is expected without having it weigh on you over the hours that you are doing it. It might sound funny to say, but as that's very important, it's not something that you are going to be dealing with on your own. Everyone with an ID badge in that park is in the same boat, and you will have some great guidance to help you along the way. I found that the people I was with were terrific to work with and very supportive of each other.

I guess in the end, my take would be that if it's something that you want to do, you should do it. I found the experience to be simultaneously tiring and challenging, but enjoyable and rewarding. One thing is certain. If you do work there, when you come back to this or any other amusement park, you will never look at it the same way again, and that's not a negative thing.
Hooky965

Return to General Discussion