JObs for 15 year olds

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

JObs for 15 year olds

Postby dorneydude » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:37 pm

What is Dorney's policy on this? My daughter is looking. What kind if jobs do they have 15 year olds? Are hours limited?
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Re: JObs for 15 year olds

Postby strwrse1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:54 am

There are numerous positions they can apply for. Park Services, Games, Foods and some Waterpark positions are available to them. Hours are very limited. No more than 8 hours a day and 26 hours a week.
strwrse1

Postby dorneydude » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:32 pm

TX! She said they called and she got a job...no idea doing what or where. It's her first job. She said the give you two uniforms and a pass...not bad..
dorneydude

Postby dorneydude » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Is it commonplace for DP to schedule you to work then continually send you home because they are not busy? My child enjoys working there but its getting ridiculous. They are paid less because they are 15, that's bad enough but then they are let go early all the time....but again, they are 15! They can not drive! Is Mom and Dad supposed to run over every day when they send then home an hour or two early? Is management going to get pi$$ed if I just tell them to hang at the park until their shift was supposed to end and their arranged ride is available? Sucks to hang around for an hour or more but I can't keep dropping everything to run over there when they are let go early every shift!

To me this just shows management does not know how to staff their park. I think they better get their act together or soon we are going to see two parks, each privately owned.

-frustrated taxi driver
dorneydude

Postby jscll » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:12 pm

It is fairly common for the park to cut staff when the extra staff is not needed. Unfortunately for young employees, they get cut first. The only recommendation I can give is to see if your child will hang out at the park until her normal get off time. That is what I always did when I worked at the park, even though I could get myself home. Do they still charge employees for lockers? I always kept a change of clothes in my locker for this reason, but it easier to keep a change of clothes in a backpack now since they no longer require clear backpacks.
jscll

Postby dorneydude » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:36 pm

yes, she is willing to wait...I just hate to see hours cut when she gets relatively few and is working for less than min wage since she is 15. She turns 16 soon, maybe things will change however I am hearing they are cutting staff this year...not sure where they go from here, they already ceased adding stuff to the park, they increased admission, season pass and parking, and are cutting staff....personal I am not surprised if business is down under these circumstances...
dorneydude

Postby dorneydude » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Question,
I have a shy child...afraid to ask....was hired at 15...will be 16 in August...once school starts, is she able to work more than 3 hours per day on Sat/Sun or is some weird back to school rule in effect...she is a red tag / yellow tag...whatever that means. Thanks!
dorneydude

Postby jscll » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Once she turns sixteen, she will be able to work a lot more. Here is information from the state listing maximum work hours: http://www.dli.pa.gov/Individuals/Labor-Management-Relations/llc/Documents/llc-5.pdf.

As far as the colour of the name tags, those changed since I worked there, and I have yet to figure out the new system. If your daughter still has the employee handbook, that probably will list the name-tag colours.
jscll

Return to General Discussion