Dorney Park 2017

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Re: Dorney Park 2017

Postby Yoshi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Some other changes. All Season Fast Lane Plus is back for $99.99 for the entire season rather than just half the season like last year. There is also a new drink plan for $29.99 where instead of carrying the souvenir cup, you get a paper cup each time you scan your pass.
Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:23 pm

I tried the bumper cars today. The lap bars are better than seat belts since they are faster for the ride operator to check. The cycle is shorter than Hershey's bumper cars and the driving area is too small for the 20 cars that are running. There were always a lot of cars stuck because they had no where to go. I think it would be better to maybe only have 15 cars running. It was still a good addition and was popular for the low crowds, the queue was about 1/3 full when almost every other ride was a walk on.
Yoshi

Postby jscll » Sat May 06, 2017 12:16 pm

I finally was able to get to the park yesterday, and to my surprise, I found the bumper cars to be okay. (I was expecting them to be mediocre.) In my opinion, they would be better off getting rid of the central island and making it driving at large. After all that is pretty much what is happening anyway. Not to mention that is how Cedar Point runs their bumper cars, so the health and safety people must already be okay with it.
It also would be better if the section of fence was removed that prevents people from standing behind the ride. This would have two major benefits. One more room for parents taking photos, and it will prevent the area in front of the electrical building from becoming a junk collecting area. (Kinda like the area in the back corner of Hydra's station.)
The biggest miss in the design of the bumper cars though (other than putting them somewhere else in the park with more room), is the lack of cover for the queue. There is no shelter from the rain, not to mention sun, while waiting. At most parks, the bumper cars are the most popular ride in the park while it is raining because it gives you something to do while staying dry while waiting for the rain to go away. The other miss in the design of the queue area is that it encourages ducking under the railings to re-ride. Netting of some other measure really needs to be implemented.
I really like the lighting package on the cars. If the park could add disco lighting and loud music (for use in the evening), it would really infuse energy to the area. Kinda like what Carowinds has done, but implemented better.
jscll

Postby jscll » Sun May 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Another change this year, this one for the worse, is Snoopy's moon bounce is gone. How are the little kids going to exhaust all of their energy now?
Another change is the path where the joker used to be has been removed, and trees have been planted.
jscll

Postby SnowManPA » Mon May 08, 2017 1:33 pm

jscll wrote:Another change this year, this one for the worse, is Snoopy's moon bounce is gone. How are the little kids going to exhaust all of their energy now?
Another change is the path where the joker used to be has been removed, and trees have been planted.

I always thought that DP was a Concrete Jungle with limited shade and they closed off a section and added a bunch of trees. This area is prime for a new attraction and will get one in the future, therefore why spend the money. It would have been great to add those trees to other parts of the park, IMO.

Snoopy Bounce RIP - my 2 younger girls have already started to cry.
SnowManPA

Postby jscll » Sat May 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Operator training was happening on Kaleidoscope yesterday. The light package is not completely installed yet, I suspect that the ride may open before that is complete. The annoying thing is they could not be bothered to paint the light housing, so the beautiful two tone blue ride will have annoying silver strips on it. Another thing of note, maintenance measured between the ride and the fence by the midway (with the ride as close as it gets), and they seemed unhappy with the clearance (About 43 inches). Immediately after measuring, they dragged over trashcans (without wearing gloves), and strung tape between to make a barrier further back. Does the park not have bicycle rack style barriers they could have used instead?
jscll

Postby jscll » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:48 pm

I attended the preview of CIrque Imagine earlier, and I went in with very high expectations (having seen the show at other parks). I have to say, it did not disappoint what-so-ever. The Canadians sure do know how to put on a good show. I do have to wonder how many people were turned away due to there not being a single empty seat in the building. When I arrived at the Theatre 30 minutes before showtime (15 minutes before doors open), there were already 200 or so people in line to get in. Based upon the crowd reaction, I believe the park has a hit on their hands this summer.
The Township occupancy permit in the Theatre states the building capacity at 600. Does anyone know whether that includes cast and crew, or just the audience?
jscll

Previous

Return to General Discussion